Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Was working in a large chain joint real early in the morning and this Hispanic lady brought in a catfish and tossed it in the fryer. And no it had not been cleaned or gutted. Head and all. Now I am used to seeing nasty stuff in all different restaurants but this one made me throw up in my mouth a little bit
    Only Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door

Here's another. This smaller concept chain didn't have hot water for about two weeks and stayed open. At first glance a normal person would say " ok not that bad". WRONG!!!!

All of this dishes that other people slobbered all over and didn't have the 180 degree water to clean their snot off of. Drinking out of glasses that maybe a nasty hooker just got done drinking out of after she got off work. You can see where I am going with this.

I am a bit germaphobic but you have to admit that is pretty bad. Always drink out of a straw at ANY restaurant!!!
    Only Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door

Brother in law is a parole agent. Once a month they do late night raids in various bars looking for parole violators. One bar/resturant they went to, the kitchen was so bad, they called the health department.

A customer who has a catering business is a complete and total pig. Rotten, moldy food in the walk in's (on the shelves-I don't want to look under the shelves), garbage everywhere, always dirty dishes just sitting in the sink.

I guess the first thing they teach you in cullinary school is that cleaning is optional.

I get a call from a resturant,he says I need a new stat.I ask do you know what you got,the round one.No problem got a T87 on the truck.So I get there,and start walking over to the stat.I see one of those 3M post it notes over the stat,what the f##k! I pick the paper up and see a live roach walking around the word Honeywell.Took the stat down,could not see how it got in there.

Our local newspaper "The Gainesville Times" publishes the health dept. inspection scores in the Sunday paper, complete with comments and details. In this town, if you own or operate a restaurant, you better get it right or business will be "off" the following week.

Sample from their website.

link to reports

A local site of a national chain, not fast food but sit down and have servers bring it to you, had one of the nastiest kitchens I had to work in of the several restaurants my employer had us service.
    Had one portable reach-in that was not cooling. First thing I did was look at the condenser coil, slam full of dust, fluff and grease. It was kept near a prep line for easy reach of various products needed for the foods they offered.
    I moved all of the kitchen gear away from the area, all of the foodstuffs sitting there and cover the prep area with sheet plastic to keep cleanup to a minimum. I bring in the cleaning gear, setup and commence to cleaning. No sooner than I had started spraying the chemicals through the coil than one of the cooks, this place ain't good enough to have chefs, pulls the plastic off of the table and places foods and finished food preps right into the spray falling down to the table. Even though I stopped quickly and shouted to him, he still put the food into the falling spray zone, the stuff got covered. I told him he needed to toss that stuff out with the trash and why so what does he do, covers it with plastic wrap and puts it back in the walk-in.
    Other time on a routine PM I look in the ice makers, I find the most horrendous and nasty wave of snot-slime covering the plate and water curtain system that I have ever seen. I informed the manager and he told me to wait until Monday morning to clean it when they weren't busy and so that they could sell out the ice on Sunday. I also told him that if the health dept. came in for a surprise inspection and found that, the entire restaurant would be thoroughly inspected and they'd be shut down immediately until it was brought back to code, completely. He still said wait until Monday.
    Went to a call for a malfunctioning salad cooler there. When I pulled the unit away from the wall, the floor scattered. I found that three of the four evaporator fans had failed. They had been failed since Friday night and I was there Monday afternoon when they called.
    I've been in the walk-in freezer for defrost issues, always caused by someone getting enthusiastic with their box packing that they break wires and conduit or snap the thermostat off of the wall. In there I see semi-closed containers of food that has a thick layer of black and white fur all over it. I asked one of the cooks about it and he said they just cook it real thorough and serve it anyway, can't afford to throw out food.
    This restaurant is so nasty and the manager and staff don't care one whit about health standards that one, I'm surprised they're still open and two, I warn people away from there any time someone asks me about that particular restaurant.
    They do get a visit from DHEC on a fairly regular basis and the requisite rating reduction, usually to a "B" and I've seen a "C" on the door several times but they're still open and they're still serving snot soup in the drinks and fur-burgers from the grill. Which hasn't been clean since they opened many years ago.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Midlyph View Post
    Our local newspaper "The Gainesville Times" publishes the health dept. inspection scores in the Sunday paper, complete with comments and details. In this town, if you own or operate a restaurant, you better get it right or business will be "off" the following week.

Sample from their website.

link to reports
    Here in NYC you can see it on the city web site,they are also posting the inspection grade at the front door.

Went to one for an ice machine problem. Ice machine had been out since the day before so the ice was kinda low. lady came in and completly crawled INTO the bin to scoop ice out, shoes and all. Ohh She also had a cold and was dripping from the nose.
    We work at a few restraunts and there are some that we work at that i will go to and eat but most i won't eat at. Wife says if i go out to eat i've either never worked there or the kitchen is in real good shape.

I forgot about this one.

Mouse poop in the ice machine (yes, mouse poop. You should have seen in the compressor area).

Health Dept. here is a joke.

Have one customer that uses the outlet water from the water cooled ice machine to thaw sea food I DON'T EAT THERE!!

Ive started using small pieces of cardboard for knee pads in chinese joints after throwing away 3 pairs of pants the problem is the cardboard usually is stuck to floor for good went back to 1 place a month later to service other equip. and cardboard was still stuck on floor from when I was there before .No if it wont pick up easy I leave it there they should clean the floor. . . . . . . and everything else

Did a pizza chain for a couple years, when the walk in would go bad or the prep table they never moved the product or tried to keep it cool. I love my cheese to be melted twice.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

when I stepped in a hot grease vat at Grandys as a teenager they let me put my flesh-melting foot in the ice bin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast