Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

TOTALY disgusting restaurant thread?

I'm not going to name any names or even mention the city town or state...I would VERY much like to be able to start a "Disgusting Restaurant" thread... but that may not go over well......instead I thought, we have all been ther and seen it.

What's your disgusting tale? NO names or infering any way of identifying the business.
    If this is an inapropriate (spelling) thread....sorry.

I'm just getting tired of seeing these joint's that have NO concern for food safety, I'm soon thinking about reporting them.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, for the ungratefull, have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Refrigeration is all the same weather your making Ice, refrigerating or freezing the product.

Back when I was younger I'd occasionally help Dad with appliance repair. Occasionally he'd get suckered into fixing kitchen equip, it almost always was full of mice pooh, or cockroaches, or rotting food.

Helped Grandpa demo / remodel a kitchen in a sports bar. It took all 2 of us could do to carry our the 4x8 sheets of drywall that were grease soaked, and we stuck to the floor despite them mopping it several times.

Pretty mellow stories compared to you poor folks who have to work in them a lot... it almost makes you want to not eat out after working in a few.

One thing that makes me really nervous though is a chinese kitchen that's spotless... just seems like something fishy must be going on!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

After seeing some ice machines, I always take a good close look at my ice when eating out. Really disgusting to see the slime suspended in the ice. Yuck.

After seeing a few greasy exhaust fans, you begin to think twice about eating fired food. I went to one on a local Mexican restaurant and the fan had a terrible grease trap and months or grease had gotten all over the roof, it was the dead of winter and the grease mixed with snow made for a very slippery job. I never felt the same about their chimichangas

resturants

Sometimes I hang my pants over the fence and let the rain wash them a few days. Over course I clean the knees with my knife before that if there is a lot of build-up.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Quote Originally Posted by selfemployed View Post
    Sometimes I hang my pants over the fence and let the rain wash them a few days. Over course I clean the knees with my knife before that if there is a lot of build-up.
    Rooftop of a restaurant, the grease was so bad and some mental midget put the exhaust vent within 3 feet of the unit access. Ewww. I just said the heck with it and tossed those pants. They had a hole in the crotch anyways.
    "It's not an OLD unit, it's a testament to old school manufacturing of quality over quantity." http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...608_092209.jpg

Talking

you can do restaurant review here
    http://www.yelp.com
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

I'm used to restaurants skirting around food safety. I worked in the food industry for a number of years before getting into plumbing. that was part of the reason I knew i needed something better

The ice machine sludge though, that's just nasty. I've never thought of something as simple as that being that nasty.

Found baby cockroaches in an ice machine in a mall food court. Health department shut them down. Also saw dead pigeons stuck in the goo of an overflowing exhaust fan grease trap at a Chinese joint.

Local Chinese restaurant. Years (and years) ago, we installed a walk in freezer for them, with a typical air cooled condenser. They later requested we convert it to a water cooled condenser, so they could use the warm water from the outlet to wash their dishes with. Whatever. You want to pipe it to the sink, ok.

Last year we were called out to fix the ice machine we had installed circa 2003, and while I was changing the water level probe I noticed the fella washing the dishes was blowing his snot into the side of the sink with the clean dishes.

Everybody in there was sick, blowing their snot into the trashcans and whatnot, and not one of them washed their hands-ever.

That's one of many.

Zed

One more...

Went to a Asian Style Restaurant to work on a range eye that wouldn't burn. When I got there I noticed a 5 gal metal pot on the range. They point and say... this one.

Well, the pot was sitting on the range spider and it looked like a 5 gallon candle. Had solidified grease down the side of the pot to the spider like a candle would melt.

Asked them to move the pot. They couldn't.

Grabbed a wonder bar and broke it loose. Inside the pot was chicken soup... bones and all. While cleaning the pot I saw them pull the old chicken bones out. They were GREEN and falling apart, almost dissolving in the soup.

The only thing I could find wrong with the range eye was it couldn't get any secondary air due to the 5 gal volcano candle pot. Gave them the burner to put in the dishwasher and left.... I'll never, never, never... did I say NEVER?... eat Asian Style again.

Did a pizza chain for a couple years, when the walk in would go bad or the prep table they never moved the product or tried to keep it cool. I love my cheese to be melted twice.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

I put on a training class for a local Health Dept on the proper cleaning and inspection of Ice Makers. Went to their cafeteria to give them hands on experience. You guessed it, they shut down the ice maker and told the Manager to call building maintenance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast