Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Deem Mechanical

I may have a job with them DEEM Mechanical, doing commercial refrigeration piping. They have offered 13$ an hour and I have to fly to Indiana for an interview or something and will cost them about 2K$ for travel expenses.
    I feel hesitant. Any comments or thoughts?
    I've been in the Sheet metal and pipe fitting trades since 1982 and this is the lowest starting wage I have ever been offered. They must have something real good to offer to keep employees there cause it not the pay.
    Last edited by feelcire; 04-13-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: didn't mention company name

DEEM Mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by wannameltice View Post
    I have been with them for a few months and so far have enjoyed it. In my part of the country we do a lot of rack refrigeration work. This can be a downer if you don't like night,weekend and unscheduled work. They charge you 15 bucks a week truck fee and have gps on the vans. I'm not sure that is legal but in this economy seems you have to take the good with the bad.
    Are you still employed by them and if not why, How was your experience there?

DEEM Mechanical

So did you take the job with DEEM? just curious to see what you think before I get too involved but work is work.
    Last edited by feelcire; 04-13-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feelcire View Post
    I may have a job with them DEEM Mechanical, doing commercial refrigeration piping. They have offered 13$ an hour... I've been in the Sheet metal and pipe fitting trades since 1982 and this is the lowest starting wage I have ever been offered. They must have something real good to offer to keep employees there cause it not the pay.
    REALLY?

I'd laugh at them and go apply at an apartment complex. I knew nothing at all about HVAC when I started and I was offered $12.75 to be an industrial mechanical equipment service apprentice. It was a union gig but he offered me over scale. I live in Columbus, OH and I can make more than that as a waiter. $13/hour is an insult, especially since you already have so much experience. I was offered a position today with a non-union commercial company and although I haven't received the official offer yet, he said it would be well more than $19/hour plus health, dental, vision, iPhone, laptop, and paid training with only 4 weeks a year on-call. I only have 5-6 years in the trade.

I live in Illinois my first day with Deem is Monday.

Regarding Employee Truck Charges...

It seems to me there may be a slight misunderstanding from an employee's standpoint as to this $15.00 per week charge.

It's not an employer sticking it to the employee issue at all. It's an IRS taxation issue in which the employer is forced to be the tax collector.

I saw a post asking whether or not law enforcement is being charged this weekly fee. I would suspect they are not, and here's why. The $3.00/day charge is for personal use of a company vehicle. Most law enforcement agencies are on the clock from the minute the key turns in the ignition at their house until they shut the cruiser off at home at the end of the shift....there is no personal use.

We are dispatched directly from home - in fact, I only get into the shop every couple of months or so. Likewise, we are on the clock from the minute our truck leaves the driveway until the minute it pulls in and therefore have no obligation to pay a weekly fee for personal use of the company truck.

A previous company I worked for in WI was able to skirt the weekly charge by requiring us to have our trucks washed weekly. I was never told directly, but I came to understand that this requirement (in this particular company's eyes) satisfied the IRS company vehicle usage issue.

Who's to say why one company does it and another doesn't? Bottom line, if you - as an individual - can live with the weekly fee....great! If you can't, then it's time to start polishing up the resume.

Either way, it's not the employer's who came up with this idea of charging a technician to take a truck home and so any problem you have with it doesn't lie with the employer......it falls directly on our US government. To take out any frustration on the employer seems immature, at best.
    "The problem is the average person isnít tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and itís not in the movies they watch, and itís not in the few books that they buy, they donít get it" - Jack Canfield

been driving company trucks home for a long time, have never pay a dime for it.
    all taxes, insurance,gas, repairs etc. are employers responsibility, I dont use the truck for personal stuff either.
    where are we going at $13 bucks an hour plus tuck and uniform fee? Time to unionize, they driving our trade all the way to the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    been driving company trucks home for a long time, have never pay a dime for it.
    all taxes, insurance,gas, repairs etc. are employers responsibility, I dont use the truck for personal stuff either.
    where are we going at $13 bucks an hour plus tuck and uniform fee? Time to unionize, they driving our trade all the way to the bottom.
    Personally, I think if a person is truly a man, he acts like a man and does what needs to be done to look out for himself and his family. If this means having a heart to heart with the boss over pay and benefits, or it means he find another contractor willing to satisfy his pay/benefit requirement, so be it.

IMHO only a person with a childlike mentality needs others to fight his battles with/for him.

.....but that's just my 2 cents.
    "The problem is the average person isnít tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and itís not in the movies they watch, and itís not in the few books that they buy, they donít get it" - Jack Canfield

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    Personally, I think if a person is truly a man, he acts like a man and does what needs to be done to look out for himself and his family. If this means having a heart to heart with the boss over pay and benefits, or it means he find another contractor willing to satisfy his pay/benefit requirement, so be it.

IMHO only a person with a childlike mentality needs others to fight his battles with/for him.

Amen, Brother !!
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post

in my tenure I've met a tough guy or two, they ended at the unemployment line. you were fired from a job or two and your business failed miserably so your anti-union motto didn't work good for you either.
    anyone can pile up a few words and make a smart sounding phrase but in real life money talks a BS walks and union techs make double or more $$$ compared to non-union, there is nothing wrong with we the workers standing together and negotiating better pay and benefits.

union techs make double or more $$$ compared to non-union.
    Good thing I'm wearing boots tonight....shi+s gettin' deep....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

in my tenure I've met a tough guy or two, they ended at the unemployment line. you were fired from a job or two and your business failed miserably so your anti-union motto didn't work good for you either.
    anyone can pile up a few words and make a smart sounding phrase but in real life money talks a BS walks and union techs make double or more $$$ compared to non-union, there is nothing wrong with we the workers standing together and negotiating better pay and benefits.
    You're absolutely right. I lost my business due to my inability to be an effective leader.....but really, is there any other way for a business to fail but miserably? Can't say I've ever heard of a business failing pleasantly.

I was also fired.....so, you're right again.

I'm having a hard time seeing how the union, or lack thereof, would have changed anything relating to my business failure and my terminations.

Regarding your money talking and BS walking - please prove to me that every non union service technician makes at least 1/2 that of a union service technician. I'm certain you'll have no problem with this as you appear to be a man that researches things in great depth before speaking about them.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast