Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Deem Mechanical

I worked for a company, and all the lead class A mechanics wanted to sit down and talk to the President, Vice Presidents, Service Reps. And Managers of the company about quite a few problems, with they way they were doing things and changes we wanted to see. Well the Sales VP sent put a memo "That we needed to stop having unauthorized 'Union' meetings with the employees." Well guess who had a meeting in our shop, on company time? Then he put out a memo that if we talked union, we would have to park the trucks at the shop. He went on a roll with this. So one Friday before a four day weekend we parked all our vans in the unsecured parking lot and pulled our tools off the vans. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I worked for a company, and all the lead class A mechanics wanted to sit down and talk to the President, Vice Presidents, Service Reps. And Managers of the company about quite a few problems, with they way they were doing things and changes we wanted to see. Well the Sales VP sent put a memo "That we needed to stop having unauthorized 'Union' meetings with the employees." Well guess who had a meeting in our shop, on company time? Then he put out a memo that if we talked union, we would have to park the trucks at the shop. He went on a roll with this. So one Friday before a four day weekend we parked all our vans in the unsecured parking lot and pulled our tools off the vans. LOL
    Which proved what, exactly?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

They can't stop you from talking about the union. Its the law and your right!

The company I work for makes us pay income tax on our truck mileage to and from work.

It is shown as profit and we get that added to our weekly income. And then taxed on the total.

I noticed John still hasn't answered my question....

He must be "breaking the law" by not demanding $15/week from his techs, lol!
    WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    He must be "breaking the law" by not demanding $15/week from his techs, lol!
    According to my accountant/tax preparer, we will begin doing so on Jan 1. The guys already know about it, and see it as no big deal. See, you get to blame it on the government....

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    I love it when you can get all the guys to stand side be side. Most of the time you get a handful of guys that are afraid to stand united.. THey won't fire the whole company!
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I hate when employers take money out of my paycheck for any given reason, why put it in to take it later?
    Some companies are now charging employees for uniforms and cell phones.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    I hate when employers take money out of my paycheck for any given reason, why put it in to take it later?
    Some companies are now charging employees for uniforms and cell phones.

Where I work charges us a few bucks a week for uniforms but that also

includes washing them repairs etc. For me I feel its more than fair because

if I had to go out and buy shirts, pants, coats and what not I would have

to spend a lot more just due to wear and tear.

As far as trucks I don't get charged. We get to take them home and I get

my first call from home every morning. All they ask is that we keep the

trucks clean and make sure that maint is done on them. For me I feel this

is a huge benefit because I don't have to buy gas/wear and tear on my

personal truck.

Even if they charged me I won't complain because I know if I had to drive in

to the shop everymorning or on Saturdays that would suck big time.

Just one guys opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Which proved what, exactly?
    They are committing suicide!!!
    Sounds like they are going union!
    The owner is about to lose control of his business!
    Or he will be closing the copmany down!

Good luck with that!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by framehvac View Post
    They are committing suicide!!!
    Sounds like they are going union!
    The owner is about to lose control of his business!
    Or he will be closing the copmany down!

Good luck with that!!!!
    I watched Kroger close a union store here, pull all the equipment, then reinstall and reopen (non-union) a year later.

While unions may still have a stronghold in some places....long term, they are on their way out. Look at all the areas of the country that are in the worst economical circumstances.....Look at where all the factories are closed....There's a common theme there.....

In the last 20 years, EVERY union or union scale manufacturing plant here where I live, has been closed. (Oscar Mayer, Kraft, Johnson & Johnson, Proctor & Gamble, LOF Glass, etc.....)

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    According to my accountant/tax preparer, we will begin doing so on Jan 1. The guys already know about it, and see it as no big deal. See, you get to blame it on the government....
    See? 16yrs working for three different co's, part owner of 1 & I've never even heard of this obscure regulation nor has it ever been enforced upon me. Is it new?

Still, I don't see how allowing a tech to drive his/her svc vehicle home is entirely a benefit. I mean, I can see how it's a minimal benefit but I can see how it goes both ways too. No, techs aren't allowed to use it for personal business - ever! - only for co business. And, as is the case where I live, I can't even park it in my driveway - it must be hidden from view. The only benefit I can see is driving it to & from the shop, & that's not enough of a benefit to consider it an incredible enough of an income to be "taxed".

The benefit it would serve the co to have a tech drive a truck home far outweighs the benefit it serves the tech. Convenience just to name one. And not having a mgr open up the shop every time the on-call tech has to run a call in the middle of the night.

Now, if it meant me giving up an hour's wage every week or not having a job, then obviously I'd pay up.
    WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    See? 16yrs working for three different co's, part owner of 1 & I've never even heard of this obscure regulation nor has it ever been enforced upon me. Is it new?

Still, I don't see how allowing a tech to drive his/her svc vehicle home is entirely a benefit. I mean, I can see how it's a minimal benefit but I can see how it goes both ways too. No, techs aren't allowed to use it for personal business - ever! - only for co business. And, as is the case where I live, I can't even park it in my driveway - it must be hidden from view. The only benefit I can see is driving it to & from the shop, & that's not enough of a benefit to consider it an incredible enough of an income to be "taxed".

The benefit it would serve the co to have a tech drive a truck home far outweighs the benefit it serves the tech. Convenience just to name one. And not having a mgr open up the shop every time the on-call tech has to run a call in the middle of the night.

Now, if it meant me giving up an hour's wage every week or not having a job, then obviously I'd pay up.
    You're viewing this thru the narrow sliver of our trade. The tax code was written to cover a broad-stroke of folks taking company vehicles home.

I don't disagree with your points. I just know what I read, what my tax lady read, and what I dealt with when I was on the city council years ago.

Seeing whereas all I've ever known is our trade I can see what you mean. Other than the building/repair trades that require us to go to people's homes I can't see why anyone would need to drive a co vehicle (I'm not including taxi cab drivers & the like, etc, etc....). As an aside, do cops/troopers who drive their cars home have to abide by the same rules as us?

And, thanks, I didn't even know this code has existed for this long....
    WHY?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast