+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deem Mechanical

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    Personally, I think if a person is truly a man, he acts like a man and does what needs to be done to look out for himself and his family. If this means having a heart to heart with the boss over pay and benefits, or it means he find another contractor willing to satisfy his pay/benefit requirement, so be it.

IMHO only a person with a childlike mentality needs others to fight his battles with/for him.

.....but that's just my 2 cents.
    Amen, Brother !!
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Personally, I think if a person is truly a man, he acts like a man and does what needs to be done to look out for himself and his family. If this means having a heart to heart with the boss over pay and benefits, or it means he find another contractor willing to satisfy his pay/benefit requirement, so be it.

IMHO only a person with a childlike mentality needs others to fight his battles with/for him.

.....but that's just my 2 cents.
    in my tenure I've met a tough guy or two, they ended at the unemployment line. you were fired from a job or two and your business failed miserably so your anti-union motto didn't work good for you either.
    anyone can pile up a few words and make a smart sounding phrase but in real life money talks a BS walks and union techs make double or more $$$ compared to non-union, there is nothing wrong with we the workers standing together and negotiating better pay and benefits.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    union techs make double or more $$$ compared to non-union.
    Good thing I'm wearing boots tonight....shi+s gettin' deep....

Post Likes
    Guys,

The jobs forum isn't a place for union/non-union arguments.

Post Likes
    in my tenure I've met a tough guy or two, they ended at the unemployment line. you were fired from a job or two and your business failed miserably so your anti-union motto didn't work good for you either.
    anyone can pile up a few words and make a smart sounding phrase but in real life money talks a BS walks and union techs make double or more $$$ compared to non-union, there is nothing wrong with we the workers standing together and negotiating better pay and benefits.
    You're absolutely right. I lost my business due to my inability to be an effective leader.....but really, is there any other way for a business to fail but miserably? Can't say I've ever heard of a business failing pleasantly.

I was also fired.....so, you're right again.

I'm having a hard time seeing how the union, or lack thereof, would have changed anything relating to my business failure and my terminations.

Regarding your money talking and BS walking - please prove to me that every non union service technician makes at least 1/2 that of a union service technician. I'm certain you'll have no problem with this as you appear to be a man that researches things in great depth before speaking about them.
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    Jeremy - I just now saw your post.

My apologies........I'll refrain from further comment.
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Good thing I'm wearing boots tonight....shi+s gettin' deep....
    John

I understand why a business owner/slave driver like you oppose the union but I dont get it when a fellow hvac tech bashes organized labor for the sake of it, there is no better place for a worker than the union, having a legal binding contract between employer and employees spelling out our pay and benefits is priceless, working union there is no " cant give you a raise cause my wife got her boobs done".

Post Likes
    Jeremy - I just now saw your post.

My apologies........I'll refrain from further comment.
    X2

Post Likes
    there is no better place for a worker than the union, having a legal binding contract between employer and employees spelling out our pay and benefits is priceless,
    Unfortunately, we don't have a "yawn" smilie....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Guys,

The jobs forum isn't a place for union/non-union arguments.
    gotcha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mapurcell View Post
    I live in Illinois my first day with Deem is Monday.
    Thank god!!!!! Now maybe I will get to spend a LITTLE more time in Wisco. It's a good company, its got its pros and cons just like every job, but the pros far outweigh the cons. A lot of freedom and a lot of work (especially down in Illinois) so really not alot to complain about. Welcome aboard.

Post Likes
    hahahahahha $15 truck charge?

taking the truck home is INCOME? what kind of backwards twisted tax laws you guys gots goin on down there. It sounds like the IRS is scrapping the bottom of the barrel for cash.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmech View Post

taking the truck home is INCOME? what kind of backwards twisted tax laws you guys gots goin on down there. It sounds like the IRS is scrapping the bottom of the barrel for cash.
    The reality is, that your work vehicle represents free transportation to and from work....something that most American workers do not enjoy.

So, yes, it IS a form of income. Unless, as some stated, your work day starts when you leave your house and ends when you arrive at it.

Post Likes
    The reality is, that your work vehicle represents free transportation to and from work....something that most American workers do not enjoy.

So, yes, it IS a form of income. Unless, as some stated, your work day starts when you leave your house and ends when you arrive at it.
    Agreed, although it seemed really backwards and screwed up at first, when you actually sit down and think about it, 15 dollars really isn't anything. If you were to drive 20 miles to work each day with your personal vehicle, you would spend more than that in gas, plus wear and tear on your personal vehicle. At the end of the day its less than an hours worth of labor so if it bothered me that much I would just work an extra half hour each week and call it good. Laws are laws and I can't blame a company for following them, especially if there is potential for the IRS to come at me years down the road and charge me a lump sum for all the weeks I didn't pay it in the past.

Post Likes
    Trucks are part of the business and there is no business without them, if it was a luxury vehicle then I can understand and justify a charge.

is the IRS going to ask employees to pay the lease on the building the company occupies?

Post Likes
    No, I won't accept anything, but the fact is there are some things you just don't have a choice with and unfortunately when it comes to the IRS there is really no negotiating... It just is what it is, and there is no point in getting bitter about it, just accept it and take it for what it is because at the end of the day 15 bucks a week really is nothing for me to gripe about, if I don't like it then I guess I will find a job where they don't offer me a company vehicle. Not to mention I knew about the 15 dollars before I started so I figured it in when I told them what I needed to make with no issues.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinapp View Post
    Agreed, although it seemed really backwards and screwed up at first, when you actually sit down and think about it, 15 dollars really isn't anything. If you were to drive 20 miles to work each day with your personal vehicle, you would spend more than that in gas, plus wear and tear on your personal vehicle. At the end of the day its less than an hours worth of labor so if it bothered me that much I would just work an extra half hour each week and call it good. Laws are laws and I can't blame a company for following them, especially if there is potential for the IRS to come at me years down the road and charge me a lump sum for all the weeks I didn't pay it in the past.
    Exactly. It's all in your point of view. A healthy viewpoint makes for a much less stressful life. It's $15. a week for a ride to and from work. Depending on your family/lifestyle, it might even allow you to have one less personally owned vehicle in the driveway.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mapurcell View Post
    I live in Illinois my first day with Deem is Monday.
    Welcome aboard! Hope you like OT Handful of us had 90 to 100 hours last week No worries of not getting 40 here.
    What part of the state are you at?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmech View Post

we have it here too-it can be considered a taxable benefit,by getting the 15 bucks a month it eliminates it in the eyes of the IRS or CRA

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4130/t4130-11e.pdf
    Last edited by cold in alberta; 07-16-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    Exactly. It's all in your point of view. A healthy viewpoint makes for a much less stressful life. It's $15. a week for a ride to and from work. Depending on your family/lifestyle, it might even allow you to have one less personally owned vehicle in the driveway.
    yes, we can convince ourselves to accept anything and everything, Goebbels did wonders for the Nazi's..it didn't make it right though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in