+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deem Mechanical

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    NO problem....then you'll also get a 1099 for your non-wage income.

You're missing the point. It's a legal issue, not a monetary one. Taking a truck home is considered income by the IRS. If there's an audit, you'll find that out for yourself.
    Are the other 99% of the companies in the country following a different IRS code than you are?
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Are the other 99% of the companies in the country following a different IRS code than you are?
    They're just wingin' it......As I stated earlier, my experience with the city council yielded the same situation. Taking an employer's vehicle home in many cases is considered income. If you wanna charge me for "storing" my vehicle at your house, fine....that's income too

Disagreeing with me doesn't change that.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    What if I am dispatched from home and only get to the office once or twice a week?

I see what you're saying but in my case it saves the co. money. So should they report more income since my first call every morning takes less drive time than if I started from the office?
    That's between you, your employer's accountant, and the IRS...

You can bet that the companies charging a "truck charge" ain't doin' it for the bread.....it's a tax accounting issue. The pittances mentioned here, certainly would not be worth the hassle or the ill will generated.

Post Likes

Fine, then....

If it's a legal issue then somehow take it out of my paycheck in such a way that I don't have to write the co a check.

Still don't see why very few co's actually charge that fee if it's a legal issue. Funny how the IRS doesn't come after 'em either, 'cause it's not like any of the non-compliant co's are cooking the books to hide their blatant dishonesty.
    WHY?

Post Likes
    If an employer offers and good total package; salary,benefits,401k etc. I wouldn't make a big deal about them taking a few bucks a week for the privilege of driving the company truck, I mean if your making $30+/hr $15/week truck charge equals 38 cents an hour in a 40hr week, not a biggie.

Post Likes
    taking the truck home for a tech is considered a non taxable fringe benefit it is not subject to federal income tax. You can look it up for your self simply by googleing fringe benefits it will take you right to circular 15 section 2.

I actually might have the circular wrong but just google fringe benefit it will take you right to it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassajara View Post
    taking the truck home for a tech is considered a non taxable fringe benefit it is not subject to federal income tax. You can look it up for your self simply by googleing fringe benefits it will take you right to circular 15 section 2.

I actually might have the circular wrong but just google fringe benefit it will take you right to it
    I looked up and seems like the IRS wants cut.

http://www.payroll-taxes.com/article...d-vehicles.htm

Post Likes
    Personal use of a company provided vehicle is a taxable fringe benefit. I think most companies that go as far as to have GPS and charge their employees for the business-related usage of the company's vehicles probably have a policy in place that prohibits such "personal use" of a company vehicle.

Post Likes
    I don't anything about the personal use thing as my guys are not allowed to use them personal stuff. I don't have gps on them. But I can't imagine whybthey would want to drive around in van with my name on it lol

Post Likes
    Who says "personal use" has to be defined as dropping the kids off at school, going to the gym, going to the store, running errands etc. Because MOST people do have to drive their personal vehicle to work. I know most people dont get paid from the time they leave their house until they get to the shop, therefore they are on "personal time" which would mean that is technically personal use of a vehicle. I am not trying to start an argument, but like I said, I pay the 15 bucks a week, and its really no hair off my back. I guess my theory is if 15 bucks a week is going to make or break you, maybe you need to re-evaluate your lifestyle. Its not worth throwing a fit about because I happen to like my job and if I have to give up an entire 38 cents an hour, so be it. Like I said, I figured it in my starting wage anyway so its not like it really affected me at all.

Post Likes
    And if you look at HVACPope's link he posted it clearly states this:

Commuting Rule

If the only personal use of an employer-provided vehicle is commuting to and from work, then the employer can use the commuting rule. The value of each one-way commute is $1.50, and either the value has to be included in the employee’s wages or the employee can reimburse the employer this amount.

So, 1.50 each way, two ways a day, 3 bucks a day five days a week, and what is the magical number you come up with? 15 dollars... And for everyone to say that the company you work for doesnt do it, yes that may be true, but my guess is when you have 300+ vehicles on the road and 700+ employees, you are probably a little more likely to be audited by the IRS than a company of say 10-20 employees. So covering your tail may be a little more essential. Just my thoughts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinapp View Post
    Who says "personal use" has to be defined as dropping the kids off at school, going to the gym, going to the store, running errands etc. Because MOST people do have to drive their personal vehicle to work. I know most people dont get paid from the time they leave their house until they get to the shop, therefore they are on "personal time" which would mean that is technically personal use of a vehicle. I am not trying to start an argument, but like I said, I pay the 15 bucks a week, and its really no hair off my back. I guess my theory is if 15 bucks a week is going to make or break you, maybe you need to re-evaluate your lifestyle. Its not worth throwing a fit about because I happen to like my job and if I have to give up an entire 38 cents an hour, so be it. Like I said, I figured it in my starting wage anyway so its not like it really affected me at all.
    I really get a chuckle out of the guys who act like they're doing their employer a favor by taking the company van home....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    I really get a chuckle out of the guys who act like they're doing their employer a favor by taking the company van home....
    I dont by any means think I am doing my company any favor by taking the van home. But I know people that spend over 75 dollars a week in other trades in gas alone, not to mention wear and tear on their personal vehicles. Its more that I appreciate the fact that I get to take my van home and my personal truck doesnt leave the driveway all week. Thats why 15 dollars really isnt a big deal to me. Sure, its the first place I have had the 15 dollars, but at the end of the day, its only 15 dollars.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinapp View Post
    I dont by any means think I am doing my company any favor by taking the van home. But I know people that spend over 75 dollars a week in other trades in gas alone, not to mention wear and tear on their personal vehicles. Its more that I appreciate the fact that I get to take my van home and my personal truck doesnt leave the driveway all week. Thats why 15 dollars really isnt a big deal to me. Sure, its the first place I have had the 15 dollars, but at the end of the day, its only 15 dollars.
    I wasn't directing that toward you....but rather, some others that I read on this and other similar threads.

Post Likes
    I agree you should not be charged for using a company van or truck. The GPS is great for the dispatchers. If your someplace that would make your company look bad, you shouldn’t be there anyway. You are the company, people judge your company by your behavior. I’m on salary, but put in 2+ hours of unpaid overtime a week. I do it because I like getting a pay check. If I don’t get everything done, they’ll find someone else who will. If you don’t like the company rules find another job. Just make sure you have the job before turning in your notice. With the economy in the tank.
    Always leave it better than you found it.

Post Likes

Here's how I see it:

If you're only getting paid what amounts to $15/hr & then you have to give the co $15 a week, then aren't you essentially working for free for an hour just because the greedy IRS wants their "cut"?

So, John, I take it you're asking each tech for $15 a week, right?
    WHY?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    If you're only getting paid what amounts to $15/hr & then you have to give the co $15 a week, then aren't you essentially working for free for an hour just because the greedy IRS wants their "cut"?

Can I waive the $15/week truck fee and handle the matter with the IRS myself?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post

I dont know... The government doesnt seem to have an issue with taking 30 percent of my pay check each week... So why would they care about taking 15 extra dollars from me?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BergerMech Rob View Post
    Can I waive the $15/week truck fee and handle the matter with the IRS myself?
    It's not a matter of YOU handling it....it's a matter of the EMPLOYER handling it. The IRS frowns on unreported income....and they have been clear....Free transportation to and from work constitutes income.

Post Likes
    I worked for a company, and all the lead class A mechanics wanted to sit down and talk to the President, Vice Presidents, Service Reps. And Managers of the company about quite a few problems, with they way they were doing things and changes we wanted to see. Well the Sales VP sent put a memo "That we needed to stop having unauthorized 'Union' meetings with the employees." Well guess who had a meeting in our shop, on company time? Then he put out a memo that if we talked union, we would have to park the trucks at the shop. He went on a roll with this. So one Friday before a four day weekend we parked all our vans in the unsecured parking lot and pulled our tools off the vans. LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in