Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890

    Palin's Paul Revere gaff

    Paul Revere did warn the British during his midnight ride. What she got wrong was the fact that the colonist's were not Americans, they were British. That's why the saying 'The British are coming is wrong'. The correct quote is "The red coats are coming" as the colonists had no reason to fear ordinary British.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,536
    Riding through present-day Somerville, Medford, and Arlington, Revere warned patriots along his route — many of whom set out on horseback to deliver warnings of their own. By the end of the night there were probably as many as 40 riders throughout Middlesex County carrying the news of the army's advance. Revere did not shout the phrase later attributed to him ("The British are coming!"), largely because the mission depended on secrecy and the countryside was filled with British army patrols, and because the colonists themselves were British.[15] Revere's warning, according to eyewitness accounts of the ride and Revere's own descriptions, was "The Regulars are coming out."[16] Revere arrived in Lexington around midnight, with Dawes arriving about a half hour later. They met with Samuel Adams and John Hancock, who were spending the night with Hancock's relatives (in what is now called the Hancock-Clarke House), and they spent a great deal of time discussing plans of action upon receiving the news. They believed that the forces leaving the city were too large for the sole task of arresting two men and that Concord was the main target.[17] The Lexington men dispatched riders to the surrounding towns, and Revere and Dawes continued along the road to Concord accompanied by Samuel Prescott, a doctor who happened to be in Lexington "returning from a lady friend's house at the awkward hour of 1 a.m."[12][18]

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Revere

    Regulars, redcoats...close enough.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    I agree, regulars, redcoats but definitely not British. And he sure as hell did not warn the British that ringing bells would not make the Americans(they did not exist yet) give up there arms.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890

    A little more on the subject


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Waterloo N.Y.
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Riding through present-day Somerville, Medford, and Arlington, Revere warned patriots along his route — many of whom set out on horseback to deliver warnings of their own. By the end of the night there were probably as many as 40 riders throughout Middlesex County carrying the news of the army's advance. Revere did not shout the phrase later attributed to him ("The British are coming!"), largely because the mission depended on secrecy and the countryside was filled with British army patrols, and because the colonists themselves were British.[15] Revere's warning, according to eyewitness accounts of the ride and Revere's own descriptions, was "The Regulars are coming out."[16] Revere arrived in Lexington around midnight, with Dawes arriving about a half hour later. They met with Samuel Adams and John Hancock, who were spending the night with Hancock's relatives (in what is now called the Hancock-Clarke House), and they spent a great deal of time discussing plans of action upon receiving the news. They believed that the forces leaving the city were too large for the sole task of arresting two men and that Concord was the main target.[17] The Lexington men dispatched riders to the surrounding towns, and Revere and Dawes continued along the road to Concord accompanied by Samuel Prescott, a doctor who happened to be in Lexington "returning from a lady friend's house at the awkward hour of 1 a.m."[12][18]

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Revere

    Regulars, redcoats...close enough.
    Lexington and Concord, weren't they in New Hampshire? Sorry wrong dummy.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,536
    I wonder if this guy knows the story:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux3DKxxFoM
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    I wonder if this guy knows the story:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ux3DKxxFoM
    He's Palin's Historian

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,931
    Palin made this correct comment just after leaving the Paul Revere house where it is told that when Paul Revere was captured that night by the British, he did indeed warn them (the British) that he had alerted the rebels and that the Brits had best turn around and go back the way they came. The Brits did as Paul Revere "warned them to do".
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    forney texas
    Posts
    17,890
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Palin made this correct comment just after leaving the Paul Revere house where it is told that when Paul Revere was captured that night by the British, he did indeed warn them (the British) that he had alerted the rebels and that the Brits had best turn around and go back the way they came. The Brits did as Paul Revere "warned them to do".
    Read the article I posted a link to. At least you are true to your colors, even when you are wrong.

    PS. Our History is not like the Bible-open to personal interpretation.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,536
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Palin made this correct comment just after leaving the Paul Revere house where it is told that when Paul Revere was captured that night by the British, he did indeed warn them (the British) that he had alerted the rebels and that the Brits had best turn around and go back the way they came. The Brits did as Paul Revere "warned them to do".
    Oh, that's what she was talking about.

    Revere, Dawes, and Prescott were detained by a British Army patrol in Lincoln at a roadblock on the way to Concord.[13] Prescott jumped his horse over a wall and escaped into the woods; he eventually reached Concord. Dawes also escaped, though he fell off his horse not long after and did not complete the ride.[20][21]

    Revere was questioned by the British officers and told them of the army's movement from Boston, and that British army troops might be in some danger if they approached Lexington, because of the large number of hostile militia gathered there.[22] He and other captives taken by the patrol were then escorted east toward Lexington, until the sound of musket fire from the town center alarmed the patrolmen. Revere explained to them that it was probably an arriving militia company that had fired a volley upon its arrival. The sound was followed not long after by the pealing of the town bell.[23] The British confiscated Revere's horse, and rode off to warn the approaching army column. Revere was horseless and walked through a cemetery and pastures until he came to Rev. Clarke's house where Hancock and Adams were staying. As the battle on Lexington Green continued, Revere helped John Hancock and his family escape from Lexington with their possessions, including a trunk of Hancock's papers.[21]

    The ride of the three men triggered a flexible system of “alarm and muster” that had been carefully developed months before, in reaction to the colonists' impotent response to the Powder Alarm of September 1774. This system was an improved version of an old network of widespread notification and fast deployment of local militia forces in times of emergency. The colonists had periodically used this system all the way back to the early years of Indian wars in the colony, before it fell into disuse in the French and Indian War. In addition to other express riders delivering messages, bells, drums, alarm guns, bonfires and a trumpet were used for rapid communication from town to town, notifying the rebels in dozens of eastern Massachusetts villages that they should muster their militias because the regulars in numbers greater than 500 were leaving Boston, with possible hostile intentions. This system was so effective that people in towns 25 miles (40 km) from Boston were aware of the army's movements while they were still unloading boats in Cambridge.[24] Unlike in the Powder Alarm, the alarm raised by the three riders successfully allowed the militia to repel the British troops in Concord, after which the British were harried by the growing colonial militia all the way back to Boston.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Revere

    Her version combined a few details:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS4C7bvHv2w
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Paul Revere did warn the British during his midnight ride. What she got wrong was the fact that the colonist's were not Americans, they were British. That's why the saying 'The British are coming is wrong'. The correct quote is "The red coats are coming" as the colonists had no reason to fear ordinary British.
    The liberal news is making such a big deal over this.

    Maybe they should be more concerned that 50% of people don't know which direction the sun rises or that the kids can't read.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,540
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    The liberal news is making such a big deal over this.

    Maybe they should be more concerned that 50% of people don't know which direction the sun rises or that the kids can't read.
    Nah. They don't care about that stuff. Stupid people are easier to fool.


    As far as Palin, do we need to go back and dig up some Gore quotes or Kerry quotes? Funny how their gaffes didn't get much airtime.......

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Quad-Cities area (midwest).
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Nah. They don't care about that stuff. Stupid people are easier to fool.


    As far as Palin, do we need to go back and dig up some Gore quotes or Kerry quotes? Funny how their gaffes didn't get much airtime.......
    Maybe the drive by media will (now) cover Weiner showing his weiner and give Sarah a break?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event