+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum pump to preserve food?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Vacuum pump to preserve food?

Has anyone tried using a refrigeration vacuum pump to vacuum seal food in storage bags to help preserve it, and if you have, do you have any tips?

I just got a smoker and am going to try smoking some cheddar cheese and want to seal and preserve some. I'll probably use hickory chips, but thought mesquite might be good for cheese also?

Also, if anyone has smoked shrimp in their smoker I'd be interested to know what recipes you've used for marinades and brines.

Sign petition to limit Congressional and Senatorial terms. http://www.termlimits.org/

"We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."--Martin Luther King Jr.

Post Likes
    Ive never thought about using a vacuum pump for sealing food, but now that you put that thought in my head...... Im thinking pull a vacuum on a cylinder then when needed just bring the cylinder in the house (with a hose and small stem access fitting), suck out the none condensables of the bag and away you go... Iam wondering if you could draw to much out of the product and effect taste. I will try it because it sounds fun

Post Likes
    I am considering trying freeze-drying someday.

Post Likes
    I have a FoodSaver, that vacuums bags and seals them. I've kept uncooked meats and Blanched Vegetables with no loss of flavor for close to a year in the freezer. Kept Smoked and cooked foods for three to four months. The Bags are a little pricy, roll sleeves are a little cheaper. For stuff with a lot of liquid I have to freeze then vac/seal, the next day.

Post Likes
    I'm not really sure that you have to pull a deep vacuum on food to keep it from spoiling. If you get most of the air out of the bag first and then double bag, it will last a long long time.

My SIL uses a straw to suck the air out of the bag. (Its fun to watch )

Post Likes
    If anyone does try this I'm wondering how deep a vacuum you would pull. Would you use a micron gage to tell? If so does pulling a deeper vacuum effect the taste? This could be experimented with in various ways with various foods.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack8080 View Post
    If anyone does try this I'm wondering how deep a vacuum you would pull. Would you use a micron gage to tell? If so does pulling a deeper vacuum effect the taste? This could be experimented with in various ways with various foods.
    You could theorectically pull enough moisture our of a piece of meat to turn it into a hockey puck.

Question is, "Why would you want to ?"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    You could theorectically pull enough moisture our of a piece of meat to turn it into a hockey puck.

Question is, "Why would you want to ?"
    Now I'm wondering what the NHL would say to that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrk8r View Post
    Has anyone tried using a refrigeration vacuum pump to vacuum seal food in storage bags to help preserve it, and if you have, do you have any tips?

I just got a smoker and am going to try smoking some cheddar cheese and want to seal and preserve some. I'll probably use hickory chips, but thought mesquite might be good for cheese also?

Also, if anyone has smoked shrimp in their smoker I'd be interested to know what recipes you've used for marinades and brines.
    Hmmm- it probably would work- it's just a much stronger vacuum than those 'seal a meal' things.. It's funny you say this because yesterday in work one of the guys was kidding around saying he wanted to figure a way to 'speed cool' his beer with refrigerant. After seeing what R22 can do to my skin first hand- I wondered if you could speed-freeze meat too hehehe!

As for smoking shrimp- I will have to experiment and get back to you. I do smoke salmon lightly with mesquite and my entire family agrees it's wonderful. Here's what I do:

Get a couple nice salmon fillets (I prefer the skin on for grilling purposes)
    Season lightly with olive oil (this will add a nice light buttery type taste too)
    lightly season with kosher or sea salt, pepper (I prefer white)
    I also put a pinch of garlic powder on, some paprika, and sometimes I'll chop some fresh fennel from the herb garden.

I light the coals, get em goin good, then put the fish on, add a good handful of mesquite chips and close it up- and smoke it around 200-225 degrees until the fish is about done (and the smoke too) roughly 10-15 min for a few pounds of salmon.

Then I will use my super spatula, gently remove the fish from the skin (which by now is fairly crisped up) and move it to the side out of direct heat. Some people eat the skin, we dont :/

I then close the grill and let the fish finish for however long it takes till it's done and dig in! Goes great with just about any grilled veggies, but our personal favorite is asparagus! Yesterday I made the Salmon with grilled zucchini, but I used apple wood chips instead of mesquite (was too lazy to go refill my chip bucket out in the shed lol) and it was still good. Mesquite makes a difference though I think.

If anyone tries it I'm interested in what you think!

Post Likes
    vacuum processing makes the best cookie dough. I freeze strawberries, blueberries and raspberries from my garden in dry ice to hard freeze quickly and then vacuum pack portions. Nearly like fresh when thawed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbonite View Post
    Hmmm- it probably would work- it's just a much stronger vacuum than those 'seal a meal' things.. It's funny you say this because yesterday in work one of the guys was kidding around saying he wanted to figure a way to 'speed cool' his beer with refrigerant. After seeing what R22 can do to my skin first hand- I wondered if you could speed-freeze meat too hehehe!

As for smoking shrimp- I will have to experiment and get back to you. I do smoke salmon lightly with mesquite and my entire family agrees it's wonderful. Here's what I do:

Get a couple nice salmon fillets (I prefer the skin on for grilling purposes)
    Season lightly with olive oil (this will add a nice light buttery type taste too)
    lightly season with kosher or sea salt, pepper (I prefer white)
    I also put a pinch of garlic powder on, some paprika, and sometimes I'll chop some fresh fennel from the herb garden.

I light the coals, get em goin good, then put the fish on, add a good handful of mesquite chips and close it up- and smoke it around 200-225 degrees until the fish is about done (and the smoke too) roughly 10-15 min for a few pounds of salmon.

Then I will use my super spatula, gently remove the fish from the skin (which by now is fairly crisped up) and move it to the side out of direct heat. Some people eat the skin, we dont :/

I then close the grill and let the fish finish for however long it takes till it's done and dig in! Goes great with just about any grilled veggies, but our personal favorite is asparagus! Yesterday I made the Salmon with grilled zucchini, but I used apple wood chips instead of mesquite (was too lazy to go refill my chip bucket out in the shed lol) and it was still good. Mesquite makes a difference though I think.

If anyone tries it I'm interested in what you think!

Well, card board fashioned into a tube around a can, with ends duct taped into place, with a small hole in the top for a refrigerant hose, and an smaller hole in the bottom, and some cheap, environmentally friendly refrigerant handy; you could probably shoot liquid down the hose, through the hole and after just a short amount of time, you would have a cold beverage.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Well, card board fashioned into a tube around a can, with ends duct taped into place, with a small hole in the top for a refrigerant hose, and an smaller hole in the bottom, and some cheap, environmentally friendly refrigerant handy; you could probably shoot liquid down the hose, through the hole and after just a short amount of time, you would have a cold beverage.
    When I was stationed in Vietnam back in the mid 1960's my job was the same as it is now. A/C tech. Our company ran the radio communications through out the Delta with little sites spread out.

When the AC went down in one of the vans the equipment would over heat so they would fly me in to fix it. (I tried like hell anyways with my limited knowledge at the time.)

On these sites there was plenty of beer but limited refrigeration and no ice.
    The guys were glad to see me come because I had or could get an unlimited supply or R-12. We would take half of the beer out of the case. Wrap 12 cans with rags and then drench them with refrigerant. R-12 and cigarettes were good for you back in those days.

Post Likes

benncool - I was with the duce(362nd Signal Co.) out of DaLat 68/69 - who were you with??
    Don't annoy the combat veteran!!!!
    All gave some - Some gave ALL

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by warm View Post

benncool - I was with the duce(362nd Signal Co.) out of DaLat 68/69 - who were you with??
    "Hang loose with the DUCE"

I sure was in the same Co. I was there in 65-66. Worked out of Ton Sahn Nhut (Saigon) on south. I only was to the Headquarters once when I was processed in country.

Small world. Did you do A/C work in the service?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    "Hang loose with the DUCE"

I sure was in the same Co. I was there in 65-66. Worked out of Ton Sahn Nhut (Saigon) on south. I only was to the Headquarters once when I was processed in country.

Small world. Did you do A/C work in the service?

26L20 microwave raido repair - was up north at Tuy Hoa/Lang Bian
    /Pleiku

Welcome Home, Brother

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by warm View Post

26L20 microwave raido repair - was up north at Tuy Hoa/Lang Bian
    /Pleiku

Welcome Home, Brother
    We were the lucky ones.

Here is a picture of me at age 19, working on a gasoline driven AC unit trailer.
    On the older communication vans we would back up one of these trailers for cooling. Probably they phased them out by the time you got there.

Post Likes
    I think a vacuum pump would remove all moisture and volatile liquids from the food. That would not be a good thing. if you used it on meat it would be dry like very well done.

JMHO
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    ours were elec. but still trailer mount

Post Likes
    What about making some kind of a bowl to marinate meat in?? Then with a deep vac. get all the flavors drawn in? They have things like that for seal-a-meal but it don’t work all that well, not enough vac.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in