Thread: PTAC Help

Hmm

I am in the process of choosing a replacement PTAC unit for my old (horrible) McQuay PTAC. Area is about 650sqft (a large studio 2 blocks from the beach). It gets very hot during the day when it will be mostly used. Any suggestions on best brand and btu? I was looking at Trane, GE Zoneline 5500, and Carrier ---- all look the same to me. Any experience with these guys? It gets very hot so I am looking for something that will make my unit very cold - best performance and reliability.

Thanks for your help!

GE is king in the PTAC area. The 5500 is a nice quiet unit.

PTAC

I agree. The GE is best! Hope your old Mcquay Sleeve is 42inches by 16 inches. If so, the replacement should be a snap!

Zoneline 5500/5800 is the best bet. Quietest PTHP I've heard. Unless others have changed, it is the only one that will run the backup with the compressor instead of shutting off the compressor. 2 motor design so when compressor isn't on, all you hear is the whisper of the indoor blower. Also GE has their own service fleet for warranty and non warranty work. Did you measure the opening? McQuay made a bunch of wierd sizes. If not 16x42 you will need lots of work.

PTAC

Thanks for your responses. I had a Trane "certified" technician come in and he reccomends a 24,000 btu unit, is that a bit much? Sounds like the GE is a good product, but the max btu i found was 14,600 -- any suggestions? The sleeve of the current unit is a bit larger - 46in. x 16in.

[Edited by gordoindy on 09-10-2005 at 12:09 AM]