+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What did you have for heat growing up?

Post Likes
    The trailer we lived in till I was 5 was LP gas.

After we moved to town, house It had oil.. I used to have dreams at night this monster would eat me! my bedroom was in the basement. so would hear it rumble at night.

My parents put in a major addtion onto the house, the oil monster left, and first year, we didn't have any heat.. just the fireplace.. We could see our breath in the basement at times. Luckly no pipes broke.

Williamson came in, but we did not have enough money to hook up the last 4' duct on the supply, so heat just worked it's way up for 4 years, and return was hooked up when the a/c was hooked up..

We did have a wood furnace hooked up, and used that about 90% of the time.

Willie was retired about 5 years ago due it was way undersized for the house, and they put in a new Trane and stop burning wood.. They did keep the wood furnace for just in case.

Post Likes

Hmm mayguy

The only heat we had was Mom turning on the oven while she was making us breakfast. I guess Dad was already gone for work! Three sisters and me. It sure was a cold seat on the potty!

Post Likes

We were really poor. My father would draw a picture of a big warm fire on the wall and my mother would say it was too hot. When we had a bad year, he would draw our Christmas gifts on the wall next to the fireplace. It was so cozy looking at Christmas time.

Post Likes

Smile funny james

But for real I grew up in the ghetto. Check it out. Victoria Texas had two military bases, One Foster field, and the other Aloe field. Back in 1961. I lived in the old privates quarters. The aftermath of Carla caused us as a family to move. No big deal! I was just a little boy. You guys didn't owe me anything.

Post Likes
    When we lived in an all electric development in Mechanicsburg, Pa. my dad hated the high electric bills, he installed an oil fired forced air furnace and had a mason build a chimney up the side of the house.

As I remember, the developer had a major conniption over my dad doing that but the oil furnace stayed. His new development was no longer "All Electric"

Post Likes
    Woodstove ,lots of cold mornings in south central pennsylvania .
    is this really happening or not

Post Likes
    we had a kerosene heater in the hall way until I was 10ish then we switched to a wood burning stove. OF course in Florida its not like we had to chip the frost off the door to get out.

The first trailer me and wifee poo lived in when we got married ...up in North Carolina had the Gas heater that I swear sounded like the Space Shuttle taking off....but never put out much heat..but it sounded wicked.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Senior Tech Guest
    Had a natural gas space heater...don't remember the btu's or any of the good stuff, just remember I slept in the dining room where it was located. Eventually Dad put in a forced air furnace, Janitrol as I recall...no a/c of course.

Post Likes
    we had a furnace that burnt sawdust....truck would deliver it and you would shovel it through a access to the basement

[Edited by dec on 09-09-2005 at 08:20 AM]

Post Likes
    Untill I was old enough to give a rats ass the house got heated by magic I guess. Then when I was older and we lived in a crappy old apartment building I found out that those hot metal things that I melted crayons on in the winter were the steam heat registers.

In the country we used a wood burner in the middle of the house. That's where the beans and tators and shit got cooked in the winter months.

Post Likes
    We had a old coal furnace that dad used stoke every day.
    I remember the trucks dumping coal down the chute into the basement.

Post Likes
    What in hell does "Three Dog Night" mean?

Lose sleep no more. Three Dog Night is an Australian term from olden days, referring to cold nights in the outback which required the warming presence of a canine companion. A particularly merciless evening would require no less than a trio of heat-radiating, four-footed friends. Hence, a three-dog night.

Post Likes
    In Colorado, we had a Chrysler Air-temp. I first knew that because that is what the stat said. It was a modern natural gas furnace. After 30 years of service, it got replaced in 2002 with a Trane variable speed 80% and a Totaline Star thermostat.
    Read, read, read!

Post Likes
    House I grew up in was over 100 years old, had one of those in floor gas radiators with the metal grill over it, no a/c, back half of the house had sank about a foot over the years, this was in West Virginia, as soon as I was old enough to leave I got out of that crap hole of a state and moved to SC, I advanced 50 years when I crossed the state line, dont miss that place one bit.

Once my parents sold the house the new owner tore it down to build a new house, the whole house collapsed as they were tearing down the first wall.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mattm
    I found out that those hot metal things that I melted crayons on in the winter were the steam heat registers.

In the country we used a wood burner in the middle of the house. That's where the beans and tators and shit got cooked in the winter months.
    Something tells me you ate the crayons to!

In New England we dont cook our shit, I think you guys call that grits dont you?
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    Dearborn gas floor type ,with high output ceramic tiles.These were used in living room and bedrooms with old trusty in the bathroom built into the wall,white or aqua were the best colors.

When I was about 10 we had our first floor furnace and still used dearborns in bedrooms. Junior High we lived with swamp coolers that used to knock the shit out of me when I had to change the pads out, them old 110 pumps would really wake you up if the ground was wet and you grabbed a panel.
    No a/c until high school and then we didn't turn it on until it was 90*.

Post Likes
    We had a neat old 1910s place with converted gravity hot water. 50s vintage National US Radiator gas boiler with a pump. NICE HEAT!!!

Post Likes
    We lived in the city of Albany. Our family rented the top floor of a 2 family house. The kitchen stove was combination gas for cooking and kerosene for heating. The living room had a kerosene parlor stove. The kerosene was stored in a 55 gal drum in the basement. Each stove had a portable tank that my father would fill and carry upstairs.

Right after the Christmas tree came down. The living room got shut off with blankets over the door and the heating bill got cut in half. The parlor stove was shut off. They should have put my mother in charge of the Department of Energy.

Post Likes

In the burbs of Atlanta we had for heat

1- Coal w/pot belly stove but I barely remember it. Used to find pieces of coal and the spent ones in the yard when I played outside.
    2- LP gas with just a few small heaters that was turned 100% off at night and restarted in the morning. (no pilor lights on these boys)
    3- Natural gas with one big heater. Turned off at night and cut on in the morning. If it got really really cold they would leave it on very very low.

I do remember my Grandpa's General store with a big old pot belly stove and the old men huddling around it. I used to love to spit on it to hear the sizzzzzzzzzzle. And of course many of the farmers we knew had fireplaces only.

Gosh I am old. Anybody got a pot bellied stove for me to huddle around this winter?

Post Likes

heat

I used teen age girls. Worked great for a while but the maintenance was too much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in