An ice build all Around the evap casing?

Customer called to say that the evaporator coil is clear but all around behind the evap unit is a big block of ice. I asked and the outer portions of it are thick frost although the inside of the ice mass is apparently now solid. I asked how long it has been that way and they told me they keep a crowbar in there now and for as long as they can recall - to use to smash the ice down with. <g>

I haven't seen it yet but this sounds to me like a bad fan delay. That is: it has failed closed and the evap fans come on immediately following a defrost.

Anything else it could be?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

steaming the coil in defrost.

Excessive defrost time?

Oh wait! Maybe the X solenoid is never powered? So the coil overheats past 50º during defrost?

Is that your thought?

So: maybe bad timer solenoid or a termination stat which never closes?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    steaming the coil in defrost.
    PHM
    --------

could b, or it could b disconnected . where id also check the heater limit ... could also be bipassed or just not opening if the temp is exceeding

Sounds like its defrosting too long or water in the pan is not going down the drain well. If the pan is dented up or pitch is bad the water will pool up around the pan heater and boil out or it's just a control issue.
    If the fans are coming on too soon you'll see most that ice building up in front instead of the back.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Lightbulb

Then you should also find the ceiling covered in frozen water droplets if achieving high temps or remaining in defrost too long....

Is this the case ???
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

I don't know - I haven't been there yet

What would the things you mention indicate?

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    Then you should also find the ceiling covered in frozen water droplets if achieving high temps or remaining in defrost too long....

Is this the case ???
    PHM
    --------

Lightbulb

Frozen water droplets on the ceiling would indicate a system that is staying in defrost too long or temp reaching too high in box during defrost... also keep in mind that patterns caused by water, due to pooling in drain pan, or frost on fan guard, ect... should steer you in the right direction. One more thing is to see if the ice pattern on the back is caused by poor contact of element ( heater ) you know how some only have a loop on the center of the evap and possible not staying in defrost long enough... Unfortunately all we can do is speculate until you lay your eyes on it...

Hope this clears up my last post for ya... If not let me know...

Let us know what you find, Hope this helps...
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Lightbulb

And if you can't see whats causing the problem when you get there, Take a couple of pictures to post here...