Currently running oil/forced air system. (38 yrs.old). Heat pump died this summer(19yr old Rheem). 99% convinced to put in New Electric furnace. Oil here is approx $2.75 US/gal & Elect is approx $.06/kilowhr. Question is wud a heat pump be a more efficient source of heat then an electric furnace or is it just a whole house air conditionner?? Any thoughts??

All electric!!!!!

My boss just sold a system. Model energy costs staying oil heat at $2.50 per is $2400 and from what the HO has been paying, sounds about right. The computer model with 12 SEER pump and electric backup with 4 cents per kwh was about $500 a year in heating costs! WOW! Of course the heat pump is upwards of 3.5 times more efficient than electric backup at 47 degrees out. But it will need help from electric backup in cold weather.

Wow, BaldLoonie, electricity at 4c per kwh??? Where can I get some?

I agree...$.04 per KW hour ...I need to get me some of that!!!
    SRJ

Get the heat pump. Depending on the weather could be over a three to one difference compared to streight electrict. Just like Bald Loonie said. This means during mild weather you would spend three dollars with only an electic furnace where you coul only be spending one.

BaldLoonie & lynn rodenmayer,

Thks for taking the time to read & reply. I find your calcs. amazing - in one case your cutting heating costs by 80% (2400 to 500) & in the other you indicate that the heat pump cud be 3.5 time s more efficient then the electric furnace.
    The dealer proposing Electric furnace & Heat pump suggested
    1/ A 25% reduction in costs on electric furnace over oil Furnace (based on oil @ 2.40 US/gal).
    2/ An additionaal 32% saving with the heat pump.

The Electric company said there wud be marginal returns if any with the heat pump compared to the Electric furnace.

appreciate any comments

Very interesting in price for electricity. In my opinion dual fuel be it NG or oil with a heat pump is the way to go. Our settings for outdoor stat is 32 degrees, and electric cost's here are outrageous, that said ng and oil are getting as bad we are currently at 3.40 a gallon for oil ng 1.22 per therm. Oil prices will go down, however gas and electric will continue to go up and stay up. Good luck with your choice.
    Considering the electric company response, 15kw strip approximately 70 amps while in use and a heat pump system while in use approximately 25 amps while in use, go figure.

[Edited by millerman on 09-09-2005 at 10:18 AM]
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

heatpump efficiency

Millerman, Thks for input. I am located in Quebec & electricity is 100% HYDRO generated. We benefit from being a huge net exporter of hydro to USA & Ont. So basically paying delivered cost plus %.
    Very keen to notice efficiency comparison between heat pump vs electric furnace. This is type of info i was seeking. I presume this is on a curve from 10 deg to 60deg.
    We're looking at 20kw furnace & 2.5 ton 12 seer heat pump.
    Appreciate your thoughts

Its funny with all the rain rivers ETC. here in Oregon our electric cost's were dirt cheap (we have hydro also), may be the explanation of all the electric ceiling heat we convert almost daily here in Eugene. Oregon got bit by the Enron fiasco also. Consider your climate and design temperatures, our heating design temperature in Eugene is around 40 degrees in winter so a heat pump is a good choice. Even better is a ground source heat pump which doesnt need back up electric heat, it will also give you basically free domestic hot water. This is a more expensive alternative however, many utilities and government agencies give nice tax breaks and cash rebates. If your climate is well below 30-40 degrees in the winter your back up electric will be in use much of the time along with the heat pump and you can forget about the hspf or cop of the unit. As temps drop so does the heat pumps efficiency.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

You really need to make a clear distinction between desing conditions and actual temperatures. There is plenty of weather data to support actual temperatures and if we actually took the time you would find that we dont hover around design conditions for long.

Hab's price of $2.75 oil and 6 cents gas should tell you that oil backup would be extremely expensive.

Roughly speaking, straight resistance heat would cost $1.74 to deliver 100,000 BTU. Roughly again, an 80% oil furnace at those prices would be $2.34 for same amount of heat. Virtually no maintenance with electric, if you factor in annual oil maintenance, that really costs.

Our rates can be as low as 3 cents per kwh for electric heat users above 1000kwh a month!