i am replacing my furnace and AC unit....i am down to the last item, i hope ...the evaporator coil...i believe that i need to select an oversized coil to provide the ability to run at the lowest cfm/ton which i want to do to reduce furnace blower fan noise that comes thru my return air ducts...i believe that this is how the two stage AC units operate with two compressor levels and one evaporator coil...such that if the lower stage is a 2.5 ton Carrier/Bristol compressor, the oversized coil permits running as low as 315 cfm/ton while still providing most of the close to 2.5 ton cooling...i would appreciate any confirmation of this or unconfirmation or any potential downsides or better ways to reduce the furnace blower cfm/ton while maintaining cooling...what a deal...

You need the coil the manufacturer calls for. Period. If looking at a Carrier Infinity, only use the coil that Carrier says to use with the particular outdoor unit you need. If you are getting that system, be sure to get the Infinity control and buy from a dealer who knows this system. He should be worrying about coil and CFM, not you.

Bald Loonie...

yup...i wish he was more worried than me...but i guess that i am starting from the noise and working back...he is recommending the standard coil for a Carrier 38txa 030 AC and i have not yet discussed the oversized coil to reduce blower noise with him...we did agree to use an oversize if i went to a 3.0 ton unit instead of a 2.5 ton unit..i was hoping for input from this forum which might help define potential for this use of an oversized coil and any drawbacks...my AC needs seem to be in the grey fuzzy area between a 2.5 and a 3.0ton...but not enough to cause me to buy the two stage Bristol recip vs a Copeland scroll...

rabadger...

i'm not a pro but think you have suggested that i get a two stage Carrier or Ruud...which was my knee jerk.....and the reason that i thought that an oversized evaporator coil might be a better resolution...but i am hesitant to get the Ruud since it is so new and the scroll in it is also so new.... tho i think it sounds great after two more years to get de-bugged...the Carrier/Bryant puts me off because of the recip and reverse mode mechanical aspects...also the Bristol/Carrier tie in....if you meant a different approach, can you clarrify????