Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused

i have a goodman as well its approx 8 yrs. for the last few winters we;ve had nothing but problems with it.. its had a curcuit board replaced bc it just shut down. then it started to back fire, went through 3 ignitors in a week last winter. we r just getting really frusterated with this unit.. could there be a underling issue that could be causing all these problems?? we are considering purchasing a whole new unit.. but if there is someway we can save this unit we will try it.. thanks for any advice!

If, by back fire you mean the flame is rolling out, then you have either to much fuel entering, or more likely, not enough combustion air in the room. Have some louvers on a door been removed or sealed off to prevent out door air from entering the room with the furnace?
    What is there to be unhappy about?

the funance is in a laundry room and we have built a room around the furnance.. we put a vent at the top of the one wall and another on the bottom .. does this seem adequate?

The burners may need cleaning.

As we both know, fossil fuels require oxygen to burn. If there is not enough oxygen present at the burner the flame will roll back with the uncombusted fuel looking for more oxygen to satisfy itself. When it rolls back it tends to burn things up like, ignitors, lint, houses, kids toys...

I suggest you make sure that you have enough outside air directly vented into (not coming through the flue pipe)the furnace or furnace room. In other words call a professional person licensed in gas fitting or HVAC that can read the fuel gas code. You are playing with death. I don't think any insurance company will pay if they find you enclosed a furnace and burned down the house.

Good Luck

I re read your post after replying and saw that you did put vents in. Good Call. They still may not be enough. There is a relationship between btu's consumed and open air space between furnace and outside.

Did problems start after you enclosed furnace?

no we've had issues for a couple years.. the back firing was new last year after we enclosed though. there is a good 3ft in front of funance and around the sides the enclosed area is about 5x5. so its not like a closet.

Sounds like it could be a bad HX? Here is whattodo - First Red tag the unit out of service (lockout tagout) then have a Pro check your unit for a bad HX or other problems before even considering using it again. Supplemental whattodo check your Smoke and CO detectors to make sure they are operational and call your local fire protection company and have your house professionally sprinkled. No joke a gas furnace can and will kill you dead! it happens fairly regular but only in onesys and twosys so never front page news unless it is a celebrity or something, don't let it happen to your family, take personal responsibilty CALL A PRO.
    When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.

"the funance is in a laundry room and we have built a room around the furnance.. we put a vent at the top of the one wall and another on the bottom .. does this seem adequate?"

Laundry room combustion air supply will go through ingitors-no matter what brand. Laundry room air is loaded with lint, and other chemicals which can plug up all sorts of stuff.
    I suppose there is a gas dryer and water heater in this room also, consuming more combustion air?

Is this an induced draft unit?
    80% or 90%?
    Model Number will tell.

Backfire-poor start(crossovers) or true flame rollout(combustion air/heat exchanger)?
    Who is replacing these parts?
    This is not that difficult for a Pro to troubleshoot-if you have been using one, try another.

we have the parts relaced by direcy energy threw a heating insurance plan, what does bad HX mean?

By HX the poster means "heat exchanger." Try googling "cracked heat exchanger" or for that matter do a search on this site.

There could be inadequate air for combustion if the furnace and clothes dryer are operating simultaneously. The dryer removes a large amount of air and pumps it outside.

You've been warned. Be extremely careful here. You are playing a game of russian roulette.

http://www.bacharach-training.com/co...urcesofco1.htm
    (Scroll down to the 3rd leading cause of CO exposure.)

[Edited by HVAC Pro on 09-08-2005 at 07:57 PM]
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

isnt this part covered for the life of furance? i bought the house when it was 4yrs now its 8yrs. i live in ontario. how would i go about even finding out if its covered by warrenty? the goodman site is american and only gives a # for american callers? any canadians out there who have dealt with this company?

Originally posted by notsurewhattodo
    isnt this part covered for the life of furance?
    Rarely. Usually 10 or 20 yrs. Any licensed HVAC service company should be able to diagnose the problem with your system and verify warranty status.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast