Trane vs Bryant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane vs Bryant

We are considering two similar 3.5 ton heat pump systems -- Trane vs Bryant. I've been told the advantage of Trane is the leaf guard and louvered cover on the compressor instead of the fins and wire guard on the Bryant. The Trane has a composite exterior that is supposedly more resistant to rust and may be quieter. Anyways, I'm not sure these are really important quality differences. Any other feedback on those two companies with regards to reliability and performance? I acknowledge that the competence of the installers is crucial but want to keep it to just equipment comparisons. Thanks, Sue

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    What models and features are you looking at?

Variable speed indoor fan?Bryants Evolution,Tranes comfort-R?where are you located,gas or heat pump?

Hi--

Thanks for any help. In answer to your questions:

Bryant's Quantum Plus w/Puron 14 SEER heat pump
    Trane's XL14 w/Puron 14.75 SEER

Am also trying to also settle if I need 3.5 ton vs 4.0 ton. The more thorough bidder who actually did some measurements, rather than a quick run-thru on the house, was the one who recommended 3.5 ton. Our house is around 1600+ square foot, split level with the downstairs almost all underground. We live in a hot, dry climate on a hill with no tree cover but 6 ft overhang all around. Added lots of soffit vents last year which really helps to cool the attic, but the tile roof really soaks up the heat. Sue

Trane Vs Bryant

Strictly speaking of the units in question; the Trane is a better built unit. The cabinet is stronger with better protection. The Trane unit will look new much longer. The Trane unit comes standard from the factory with a 10 year warranty on the compressor, the outdoor coil & parts. On Bryant, the 10 year warranty will be an optional contract. Bryant is a cosmetically altered Carrier unit. The Bryant or Carrier is a good unit, but the Trane is just better. Trane craftsmanship is second to none. Trane heat pumps are historically the most reliable in the industry. Get the dealers in question to show the units to you in person & you can see & feel the difference for yourself. Now, aside from the units; deal with the dealer who you feel will offer the superior installation & service. Trane makes a heck of a heat pump, but a poorly installed Trane heat pump is no better than any other. A Trane heat pump designed & installed properly is a great system.

Hi Mr. Big--

Thanks for that feedback on the differences -- it was very helpful. But can I ask if you install Trane? It sure would be great if I can get a rebuttal from a tech who is as enthusiastic over Bryant.

The Bryant does comes with a 10 yr limited warranty on the compressor with 5 yr on parts and the installer gives a 1 year on labor. The Trane dealer offered 10 yr limited on the compressor, 10 year on parts and 5 year on labor. I asked the Bryant dealer about matching that warranty and it would cost another $700.00. Sue

Sue

It doesn't matter who's equipment you have installed ONLY THE CONTRACTOR SELECTION MATTERES. The rest is an insurance policy they buy for your equipment. Get a feel for the contractor and go with the GUT FEELING.

Which contractor do you feel knows more and will give you what you are paying for. Personally I like the Bryant but the contractor is more important than the brand.

Trying to compare a Trane with a Bryant is like trying to compare a Ford to A Chevy it all depends on the Dealer

Sue

It doesn't matter who's equipment you have installed ONLY THE CONTRACTOR SELECTION MATTERES. The rest is an insurance policy they buy for your equipment. Get a feel for the contractor and go with the GUT FEELING.

Which contractor do you feel knows more and will give you what you are paying for. Personally I like the Bryant but the contractor is more important than the brand.

Trying to compare a Trane with a Bryant is like trying to compare a Ford to a Chevy it all depends on the Dealer.

Remember you are buying a custom installation from the dealer not a Bryant or Trane.

Bryant has Factory Authorized Dealers that give a 100 % guaranty

Hope this helps

sorry for the double post

we install Bryant and we have better Installers

[Edited by pjs on 09-08-2005 at 06:30 PM]

I have installed and serviced both Bryant and Trane systems.

Trane built and manufactured-Tyler, Texas
    Bryant built Carrier BDP Corp. Mexico/New York

The only differance that I would say is the Trane is alot more durable. Primenet.org will give you what each unit will produce at design ratings.

Trane Vs Bryant

Sue, I do not install either. I am a retired factory rep. I was a Carrier Rep for 25 years. Also rep for General Electric A/c which Trane purchased years ago. I just tell it like I see it. Carrier & Bryant are good units, but Trane heat pumps are the best you can buy. Unlike many who try to say all units are the same; there are differences in workmanship, & reliablity between brands. You can see & feel the workmanship difference yourself between the units. In my 30 plus years in the HVAC industry; all studies done by independent parties showing the reliability of heat pumps had Trane at the top of the list. I sold a lot of Carrier & made a lot of money. Mcdonalds sells more hamburgers than anyone else, but do you really think Mcdonalds is the best hamburger you can buy? However, I do concur that the installation is more important than the unit as I have explained earlier. All things being equal including installation quality, service & price; I definitely would buy the Trane heat pump. I would be inclined to pay a slight price premium for the Trane unit;perhaps a few hundred dollars more. There is a point where the price difference would not equal the added value of the Trane unit unless you have money to burn. Hope this helps.

Re: Trane Vs Bryant

Originally posted by mr big
    Sue, I do not install either. I am a retired factory rep. I was a Carrier Rep for 25 years. Also rep for General Electric A/c which Trane purchased years ago. I just tell it like I see it. Carrier & Bryant are good units, but Trane heat pumps are the best you can buy. Unlike many who try to say all units are the same; there are differences in workmanship, & reliablity between brands. You can see & feel the workmanship difference yourself between the units. In my 30 plus years in the HVAC industry; all studies done by independent parties showing the reliability of heat pumps had Trane at the top of the list. I sold a lot of Carrier & made a lot of money. Mcdonalds sells more hamburgers than anyone else, but do you really think Mcdonalds is the best hamburger you can buy? However, I do concur that the installation is more important than the unit as I have explained earlier. All things being equal including installation quality, service & price; I definitely would buy the Trane heat pump. I would be inclined to pay a slight price premium for the Trane unit;perhaps a few hundred dollars more. There is a point where the price difference would not equal the added value of the Trane unit unless you have money to burn. Hope this helps.

ahhhhhhhhhh quip ahhhhhh farrrtttt ahhhhhhh that was down right D U M B

mr big is a dip**** if he is going to avoid the CONTRACTOR issue A low end product installed correctly will outlast and outperform a high end product installed incorrectly anyday

sheez what a dip ****

Pjs, aircooled and Mr. Big--

You guys are just great! Thanks so much for your feedback -- I really appreciate it. I've heard a number of times before about the importance of installation over equipment so it was good to have another reminder. The first bidder was the Bryant guy and he just did a quick run-through and was out the door. His wife has been fantastic at answering the phone and getting his responses to my numerous pesky questions. That support is important to me because I hate to just get the answering machine. The second bidder was the "slick" Trane guy but he took a lot of time taking measurements and pictures of the antic situation to help explain his analysis. I really liked his attention to detail but is it worth another $1000-1500??? I'm willing to pay more for thorough work and better equipment but I'm not quite sure how much more.

Since I'm leaning towards Trane, another dealer is coming tomorrow morning. Reliability is my #1 concern since I live in the sticks and it's often difficult to get someone out here to fix the equipment. The clerk who answered the phone mentioned they test the ducting on all installations (cover and measure) which nobody has mentioned so far. The Bryant guy only does a visual inspection and I have to check with the first Trane guy but he never mentioned testing. The new regs in October go further in requiring a third party test of the testers, which is absurd, so I want to get it done before then. Is testing or just visual inspection normal in your experience? Thanks again, Sue

Sue

Good to see you are an informed consumer we love a well informed consumer.

What to look for:

How long have they been in business, check the Y.Pages from 10yr's ago for their listing.
    What associations are they listed with
    Do they answer their own phone.
    Do they respond to your questions with intelligent answers or try to B.S. you, [you know the difference, your gut feeling is usually right]

Call them on a Saturday nite to see if they have an emergency pager or if they answer their own phones.

Don't be in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL these things FAR outweigh the manufacture of the equipment.................... PERIOD

I love an informed customer, do your home work but LOOK AT THE INSTALLING COMPANY not just the equipment Manufacture

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Re: Trane Vs Bryant

Originally posted by mr big

Trane-washed,sorry just the way I feel..LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast