Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem diagnosing Heat pump

I'm working on an armstrong heat pump package unit 208v single phase. When I hooked my guages to it the pressures were equalized with the compressor running. I replaced the compressor and drier. Tested for leaks and pulled a vacuum. When I turned it back on the pressures were equalized and never moved. I checked the wiring and verified it was all right. also tested cap and found no issues. Compressor doesn't sound strange. I know that it is possible to get a bad compressor out the box. I was wondering if there is another reason the pressures are equalize while running. It is pulling 3.5 amps the rla is 12.0. Any help is greatly appreciated.

RV stuck.

Was thinking that. Tried to get it to shift by tapping it couldn't get it to do anything. I appreciate the help. I will be going back on Monday will try again.

Sorry, but I just have to ask.
    Are you on the true suction port on that HP?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

There is only one suction port on it that I know of. It is a service port on the front of the unit. I didn't see any other ports other than the discharge. I looked when I had the unit out. When the unit is in the only thing I can get to is the ports they have on the front. Not sure what you mean by that though.

Is the compressor extremely hot and the suction line hot to the touch? If so check for a leaking/bad reversing valve.

If you connect gauges on the line set of the outdoor unit while the unit is operating in heating mode. The gauge pressures would appear equalized because the compound gauge would register in the retard range.

What pressures are the gauges reading?

Hope this helped. Please let us know the end result.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Sorry forgot to mention it in the original post. Yes The compressor was almost too hot to touch very quickly after starting. The suction Was hot too. That was why I thought the rv may be bad but couldn't get it to un-stick. The pressures were 100suction 105discharge. The unit is r22.

I am with 2old2rock, Look for a suction port on the middle leg of the reversing valve, that is the low side, the liquid line would be high side. I hope it is just that easy of a fix.

Back in the Olden days that's why we changed an RV whenever we changed a compressor. If you can't tap the valve and get it to slide, plan on replacing it.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Ok I will plan on that. I really appreciate the help. I'm not used to working on heat pumps.

Did you install the correct drier? HP take a 2 way drier.

If the new compressor is wired correctly and if you are hooked up to the correct ports then it does sound like the RV. If connections are good and you have proper voltage to the RV then confirm by temperature. The circumstantial evidence that that pressures do not normalize when it is tapped is not enough to know with certainty that it is the failure. As dorvs stated it is also critical that you installed a bi-flow. If not you will have a callback in heating season.

With all the info in his profile, I can see why everyone is giving DIY aid.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast