It is a deceptive practice to install high SEER matched equipment that may be getting only a half to two thirds of its SEER rating and listed capacity ratings.

I am not overstating the situation, research surveys have revealed the magnitude of this problematic situation!

With the help of the mfg’ers there are simple formulas that will reveal if the system is performing within the proper perimeters of its capacity ratings.

It is time that we showed documented evidence of delivered "Best Practices" toward servicing that proves what their unit is delivering and what it should be producing within 5 or 10 percent. The owner can use a mercury thermometer and a hygrometer to get the %RH and then use several simple formulas to reveal approximately what Btu/hr that their system is delivering under varying conditions (along with the approximate CFM air flow). I found different unit specs for the Btu/hr formula results; use the revised (ballpark) figure results for the 12-SEER Comfortmaker and Heil condensers!

http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

http://www.cee1.org/cee/mtg/9-04_ppt/sundberg.pdf

Wait until the (search found), "New Technology" pdf downloads completely, before clicking on it!

I wonder what it costs? I hope contractors will test equipment capacity before and after servicing to demonstrate with documentation the improvement level they have achieved, and what may be necessary to achieve even higher levels of efficient operation.

Electric rates will probably go higher, especially if NG generated!
    - udarrell - Darrell

It would be a great start if installers went so far as to check (much less demonstrate to the customer) that the system is moving the correct amount of air in the first place.

udarrell,I agree with what you are saying,but only taking into account the equipment is not taking into account the "system".

CFM, W.B.& D.B. temperatures must be measured from individual supplies & returns to insure the BTU's are getting from the equipment into each part of the building envelope in proper quantities.

If the duct system is not considered those readings at the equipment will not tell the whole truth.

The majority of systems we test only achieve about 50% to 60% of their rated capacity,some are much worse.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Absolutely my point, too; I have been preaching your position for decades but very few techs appear to be doing what is necessary to deliver what is being implied to the customer.

The proper amount of air delivery to each room has to be verified/checked and accomplished. It does not appear that that new technology addresses those issues.

All technologies used, must cover the entire system for the customer to get what they are paying for.)

We cab do it with less sophisticated technologies with very little more time or work involved.
    - Darrell

Cool,we are in total agreement then.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Udarrel, davidr

Here's how I see it on a daily basis.

Salesman sells the job. 13-21 Seer eff systems. Installers put it in. Could be new or changeout. Duct it ,pipe it, wire it and start it up. At best they have a set of gages and no temp sensors. They "charge it" with what they "feel" is right for the length of refrig. tubing they have. Could be overcharged or undercharged, they don't know. Sometimes they charge by "suction pressure". Customer feels cool and is happy. They get paid. Company is happy, salesman gets commis. Techs don't get called in till there is a problem.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to offended any good install guys who take pride in there work, but I see way too many installs that go the other way.

Most companies don't have training back at the shop. It's learn on the job. I believe if most companies did have at least a couple hours every other week within a short amount of time most job problems would be minor or nill.

I once troubleshot a system and showed using DB, WB Airflow, SH, LH and TH what the problem was and they looked at me like I was from outerspace. I use a PDA with Psychrometric calcs in a spreadsheet.

Darrell, You have a cool website. Keep up the good work for techs who want to learn.
    Learning is a lifelong process