New Ducts: Wrapped or Lined?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The contractor installing our new system has said that we have the choice of lined or wrapped ducts, with no price difference. The ductwork will largely be our attic.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!

I go wrap any place I can. Liner is a perfect breeding ground for mold. It is also very hard to clean.

The product that is referred to as liner is not for insulation. It is designed as an acoustic liner. Its intended use is for the first ten feet of trunk to absorb sound enrgy. There are better ways to attenuate sound.

Best regards...

Man, you found a real winner.
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Prefer wrapped, just for the fact that duct needs to be increased in size when lining, and wouldn't care for the fiberglass floating around in my house. Also dust loves to adhere to the liner, pain in the ass when you want your ducts cleaned.

What is the comparison of R-values for typical residential grade wrapped vs. lined ducts?

IMO, I wouldn't even consider lined ducts, I've seen too many fall apart after exposure to adverse conditions or sloppy installation.

go with wrapped.... I have always figured that insullation inside the duct or ductboard will be your asbestos of the future. My understanding is that most hospitals will not allow it in their ductwork to operating rooms. Im not positive on that but that is what I have heard.

philsoc8

When you get with your contractor ask them about bubble wrap. It is a reflective bubble type insulation. It is superior to fiberglass wraps when it comes to moisture resistance.

Attic ducts that are wrapped with fiber glass insulation have been known to become saturated with water from condensation. If the wrap or duct has a leak and the moist summer attic air can come into contact with the cold duct surface, there will be condensation that will soak into the insulation.

Water soaked insualtion is worthless. Bubble wrap is of coarse not effected by moisture.

good luck...

bubble wrap duct insullation?
    never seen it who makes it and is there a big diff in price?.........as for me i only deal with wrapped. liners if not installed correctly can fail and block air flow. The company i work for uses round pipe for better air flow

I have seen the bubble wrap in Lowes and Home depot but I didnt think it looked like it had much of an R value. Will have to look a little closer next time. Im sure thats a lot more expensive but maybe not.

If ductwrap becomes saturated with condensation from the ductwork, then the ducts were not wrapped correctly. When the ducts are wrapped correctly, this will not happen.
    Dogs truly are man's best friend!!

We started using the bubble wrap a little over a year ago. I love it. It'a much easier to install and no itching or wearing of any protective masks etc. Here is a link I found with a little info on it. http://www.reflectixinc.com/script/u...Rev%200804.pdf
    Silence is golden - Duct Tape is Silver!

Thanks for the info.
    I've been following this thread because
    I'll be replacing my ancient fiberglass/plastic
    flex duct soon with solid duct w/wrap insulation.
    Didn't even know Bubble Wrap existed.
    Think I'll be going that route.
    Thanks again.

Originally posted by rufus
    Thanks for the info.
    I've been following this thread because
    I'll be replacing my ancient fiberglass/plastic
    flex duct soon with solid duct w/wrap insulation.
    Didn't even know Bubble Wrap existed.
    Think I'll be going that route.
    Thanks again.
    That bubble stuff is real expensive, but does look nice. I might put it in my home, but if doing a job, I don't think a customer would swing the extra cost. And assuming it's the same R-value as fiberglass wrap, how long will the payback be to recoup the extra cost of the bubble-wrap....10 yrs, 25 yrs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast