Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

World Trade Center Refrigeration Plant

Who here remembers the old, World Trade Center Refrigeration Plant which formerly served, the twin towers, the subway, the shopping concourse, as well as the sister buildings.

I remember hearing this was the largest refrigeration plant ( on 2.5 acres) in the world with seven York refrigeration machines the size of a locomotive, which used river water from the Hudson.

Could anyone give me some more insight as to how this system worked, and the specifics involved? Better yet, if anyone ever had the opportunity to visit I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for your time and interest, huge systems like this fascinate me. Its very interesting to see the innovative technology and engineering that goes into operating and designing such a system.

5 of the Chillers had been replaced in 1993 following the ( 1st attempt ) EXPLOSION in the parking garage. Replacements were 2,000 Ton Each.

Here is whats going in the new building.

http://www.dnainfo.com/20100623/manh...de-center-site

River water? pump n' dump?

I'm guessing it's river water for the condenser.

From http://www.crc-eng.com/project-exper...d-trade-center

"The chiller plant design includes five 2500 ton electric centrifugal chillers, five 300 hp chilled water pumps with variable frequency drives (VFDs) and two 1000 ton plate & frame heat exchangers to provide 2000 tons of “free-cooling” capacity in the winter and shoulder months."

"The chiller plant utilizes river water from the Hudson river for condenser water, and the project includes renovation/reactivation of the below-grade river water pump station. The pump station has not been active since the events of September 11, 2001, and the pump station equipment has been subjected to the corrosive effects of the brackish river water. All electrical equipment inside the pump station will be replaced. The existing river water pumps will be removed and replaced with four new 500 hp 15,000 gpm vertical turbine pumps with VFDs. The existing sluice gates and traveling screens will be refurbished."

This is a much downsized plant from the original plans, which called for almost 40,000 tons of chiller.

Thanks for the replies,

I also heard they added a few chillers following the '93 attacks. This increased the output of the plant. I believe the plant could put out about 60000 tons.

I do have a question regarding the new freedom tower. Does anyone know where they will get there heat? I heard about McQuay doing the A/C job; however no mention was made of where they will obtain their heat. Does anyone happen to know? Are they planning on using heat strips, as many other buildings do?

If anyone could go into more detail about how the old WTC Refrigeration plant actually worked, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Heres a slide show showing some of the project http://www.slideshare.net/ctso/rebui...ewtchmehtactso

Quote Originally Posted by MHall View Post
    I do have a question regarding the new freedom tower. Does anyone know where they will get there heat? I heard about McQuay doing the A/C job; however no mention was made of where they will obtain their heat. Does anyone happen to know? Are they planning on using heat strips, as many other buildings do?
    There will be so much hot air being blown from the residents, it won't need heating...

I remember reading the plant as :

(7) 7,000 ton Carrier custom built up open drive centrifugals serving both buildings and several other area's.

Hudson river as condenser water medium. Pump and dump.

The original chillers were R-12 and later converted to R-134A.

They were medium speed , positive pressure machines.

It was not the largest refrigerated installation , but one of the largest.

A food processing plant in AR holds that title with NH3.

After the bombing all sorts of street side temp chillers were installed to get the bldg back online.

This could be a great thread.

I thought the WTC had York equipment?

Speaking of needing heat, I also heard somewhere that the Mall of America doesn't heat most areas either due to so much internal load.

Damn would that be a great project to work on.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I thought the WTC had York equipment?

Speaking of needing heat, I also heard somewhere that the Mall of America doesn't heat most areas either due to so much internal load.
    The hospital I work for has a MASSIVE boiler plant, that goes virtually unused (was WAY over sized originally to support adsorption chillers that were never installed). The heat demands have drastically decreased over the last 5 years or so, as the numbers of computers/people in the building have increased, to the point that we only ever kept one boiler (of 4) running, another in hot standby, and the other two in layup, all winter long (granted - very mild winters here). In the past, there were times when they had 2 running pretty strong, and a third in hot standby, with fewer buildings.

The chiller plant, on the other hand, can easily hit about 4500 tons in the peak of summer.

Many of the worlds most noble buildings utilize York Titan centrifugals.

Almost positive WTC was Carrier.

Carrier made built up centrifugals rivaling the Turbomaster.

After all , Carrier invented the centrifugal chiller.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast