Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You know what, at this point I would be happy to pay a thousand more on this job if I had 100% confidence in the contractor and they were intelligent, helpful and I knew they would stand 100% behind their work! It would be worth every penny in the long run. The problem is I haven't found one yet that gives me that confident feeling.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by afree
    You know what, at this point I would be happy to pay a thousand more on this job if I had 100% confidence in the contractor and they were intelligent, helpful and I knew they would stand 100% behind their work! It would be worth every penny in the long run. The problem is I haven't found one yet that gives me that confident feeling.
    Where are you located,some of us might move next door for the extra Grand!!LOL!!

Seriously someone here may be in your area or know a great contractor in your area.

To your point,we did the salesman will call you back thing for years,always some problems.Then 7 years ago,I was having a pool built and small covered area,and needed aluminum soffit,facia and gutters.Called 4 companies,all said salesmen will call for an appointment.Long story short,first guy that called came the next day,installed severall days later,2and 3 guy called day after install,4th guy called a week after install.

That's when we started making the appointment ,when the customer calls,and managing the salesmans time just like we have always done with technicians.it dawned on me finally that we make some appointments,even Saturday first call,for $79.00 clean and check,and are telling customers that want an estimate on thousands of dollars of work,we'll have the saleman "callback",now that was dumb.

I haven't had the experiance this bad, but I do have one guy that won't return my calls - after he quoted me.

I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada - I think most of the guys on this site are US based, but if you know a good HVAC contractor (does not have to be Lennox) in the Montreal area - they need to contact me ASAP.

HVAC contractor in the Montreal area - they need to contact me ASAP.
    There is a plenty of us furiners here...
    try starting a new post with that^ in the title.

Good idea, will do now.

Within 20 miles of where I live in ct I can think of only 3 quality contractors and I have no idea how the sell.

In general as a group (not all contractors) we are not the best sales or customer service people in the world. A great tech can earn a living, but never get rich. A good HVAC salesperson can make about 1/2 what someone selling investments makes, so if they are good that’s where the good sales people are. I am not trying to justify things, but in general we have a very hard job trying to retrofit new equipment into old homes, warranty the install for a year(eat all factory problems) and still have enough left for the company owner. We do not seem to be able to attract the type of person you are looking to quote your new system. The guy you had at your home has to crawl around in attics, crawl spaces ect on occasion to look at jobs which some professional sales person would not do. He also has to have the technical expertise to look at duct sizes, line sizes, register and return locations ect which can’t be learned for the $$$ paid to someone out of the industry. I would not look for the best sales person, but who seemed like they truly would do a nice install using good equipment and an inline air filter(a must in my mind).
    You don’t want to go cheep for a couple hundred bucks for a good air filter.

I bet the salesperson used to be an installer or service tech in the industry. Please go easy on the guys even though they do not practice good salesmanship.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I don't buy it, firstly, I "go easy" on everyone - I'm not the kind of guy to jump on someone - assuming they are basically respectful. But that is not the point.

These guys could be earning a lot more money (for themselves and the companies they represent) if they just praticed some common sense and basic sales skills. Any mildly social person can learn these skills. I don't think my suggestions are way out there - they are pretty basic. Skills like, listening, doing what you say you will do, being a problem solver, being consulative rather than adversarial, don't put down the other guy, etc.

It is the responsibility of their employers to ensure they get that training - you train your tech guys right? So train your sales guys too! They need it.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I don't buy it, firstly, I "go easy" on everyone - I'm not the kind of guy to jump on someone - assuming they are basically respectful. But that is not the point.

These guys could be earning a lot more money (for themselves and the companies they represent) if they just praticed some common sense and basic sales skills. Any mildly social person can learn these skills. I don't think my suggestions are way out there - they are pretty basic. Skills like, listening, doing what you say you will do, being a problem solver, being consulative rather than adversarial, don't put down the other guy, etc.

It is the responsibility of their employers to ensure they get that training - you train your tech guys right? So train your sales guys too! They need it.

What makes you think techs get training??LOL!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12