Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much does it cost to run a dehumidifier?

Good day everyone. How much does it cost to run an avg. size(65pint) dehumidifier? I called my local electric company(LIPA) and they couldn't tell me, but they indicated they charge .20/KwH. Much appreciated. THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
    Good day everyone. How much does it cost to run an avg. size(65pint) dehumidifier? I called my local electric company(LIPA) and they couldn't tell me, but they indicated they charge .20/KwH. Much appreciated. THANKS!
    I guess that would depend upon the run time and the watt's it consumes to meet your needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    I guess that would depend upon the run time and the watt's it consumes to meet your needs?
    Would this help? I run it 3 hours on, 3 hours off. Runs constantly, no preset target. Thanks!
    PS: FWIW, I'm looking for an estimate on how much it cost, ie: $20 vs. $100?
    Thanks!

Would this help? I run it 3 hours on, 3 hours off. Runs constantly, no preset target. Thanks!
    PS: FWIW, I'm looking for an estimate on how much it cost, ie: $20 vs. $100?
    Thanks!
    There should be something that states the watt's on the units name plate and/or amps and volts....

Volts "X" Amp's = Watts

Do the math from there to figure out your cost in you're area

A 65 pint dehumidifier will draw roughly 600 watts. 0.6KW x 3 hours = 1.8 kWh. 1.8 KWh x 20c/ KWh = 36 cents for a 3 hour cycle. If it's on 50% of the time during a 24 hour period that is about $1.50 a day. That 20 cent figure may not include tax and other utility charges so the actual cost may end up being higher.

I have to use one in my basement, & it costs a lot more than running my two small window A/Cs.

It really runs my electric bill up!
    Last edited by udarrell; 06-04-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Typos...

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    I have to use one in my basement, & it costs a lot more than running my two small window A/Cs.

It really runs my electric bill up!
    and it was set for

Any diff between the kids running lights/TV's that are on un-needed?

Low wattage appliance "typically" and only one within a given area, with a similar structure could one even begin to compare run times (.) the end

Florida = X Arizona = X not even close

Well, looking online, most 65pint units list about 700W draw. So that's .7kW. So, that .7kW * $0.20/kWh would result in $0.14/hour of operation.

I just checked my dehu booklet. It's a 65 pint unit and power input (assume that's fan and compressor) is 770 watts.

Amp

Why don't you get yourself one of these: http://www.killawattplus.com/?gclid=...FWVd5QodqTtLwQ

It will tell you exactly how much electricity you are using. You can then calculate the cost based on your electricity rates.

FYI, we have time-of-use electricity rates here in Ontario, Canada. Cost between 7pm and 7am is about half the cost during peak times. I would have to take that in consderation when figuring the cost.

FYI, we have time-of-use electricity rates here in Ontario, Canada. Cost between 7pm and 7am is about half the cost during peak times. I would have to take that in consderation when figuring the cost.
    Most Ontario utilities charge 4-5 cents per kwh for distribution and debt retirement, so it's not close to double.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Energy Star has a web site with the most energy eff. dehus listed.
    There is a big difference in the best to worst dehus.
    The Ultra-Aire/Santa Fe/Honeywells produce 4-7.9 pints/KWH.
    The most inefficients dehus 1.7 pints per KW.
    Search "Energy Star dehumidifiers"
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Teddy,
    Do you ever miss a chance to plug your product?
    Ever?
    (Full disclosure, I sell his product, but find his constant lack of objectivity, well, questionable, to say the least).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast