I'm just curious what kind of t-stats will work with a unit heater, for example lets say it's a Reznor.

Obviously their version will work, and I've seen the round honeywell's used aswell. I'm just curious if the el'cheap-o digital stats will work with them aswell?

I don't really see why they wouldn't since the t-stat is basically a switch, but I've been informed hardly any other variety's will work other than what they sell.

Pro's, I'd love to hear from ya!

it is a 24 volt control circuit just like any other basic heater. any type of stat should work.

as i assume, its a 24 vac system, you could use any tstat you wanted. it you want your unit heater programmed, get a programmed tstat if this is a line voltage system, well, you could be looking.

They make digital line voltage stats also.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

They (or at least all that I've put in) are just 24v systems.

I was told they will cycle wierd, might run for 5-10 minutes then lock out.

I haven't really gotten to tear into many unit heaters, but from what I've seen they are very basic. So I doubt they'd have any controls to "lock out" anything unless a safety was tripped.

The only time I could see a digital not working correctly would be some of the fancier ones where you adjust the program in the stat to tell it what it's controlling (1 stage, 2 stage, HP etc).

Thanks guys, I'll sleep better tonight knowing I'm not crazy... well completly anyway.

Some power stealing stats make some furnaces do strange things, so it would be possible that it could cause an ignition modual to lock out on flame failure, due to the voltage bleed the stat needs to operate.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i was thinking battery powered. if its an old one, it might just have a tcouple gas valve and a fan limit switch

It's a new install, and I don't recall exactly, but I think it was a battery powered stat in question.

This situation is much like many others. Once someone it told one thing, it's gospel and to be fully believed for the rest of thier career lol.

if it is newer unit that may have problem with power robbing stat just install isolation relay.