Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    It was funny that I posted about our old apartment. My brother-in-law who lives down that way said that they made the old place into an Italian Restuarant. I bet they have central air in it now!!

I'll have to take the War Dept down there for a dinner. They would probably get upset if we went there for a roll in the hay.

I do not have a/c in my home now had it in a trailer that we owned years ago but that is because my wife took a used one I was trying to sell and made me buy it

It was a package unit and since she used to help me she knew how to do most of the install

I got a call a little after lunch one day and she wanted to know where the 24 volt wires hooked up at on the thermostat when I asked her why she said ¡§you know that a/c you was trying to sell?¡¨ ¡§Well you just bought it!¡¨

As for my new house (not new just new to me)
    I really don¡¦t want a/c but because we are putting in a h/p we will have it by default ƒ¼

The way I figure it is I have 2 young children and don¡¦t see any reason they should be able to stay inside because it is too hot outside especially when we have a pool in the back yard

It was old it was Brown and it was ugly

It was 1969 and I was 14 and I found it in the attic

I remember some things about it

It was very heavy, when I dragged it down the stairs and put it in my bedroom window, I remember stuffing towels around it to get it to fit

The lights dimmed in my room when I turned it on

I remember My Dad wasn't very happy when he saw it and pitched a ***** about it

Grew up in England so we never needed AC. My first AC was a heat pump in my apartment 8 years ago. My house has the original 1978 Heat Controller split that's probably running at about 3 SEER, but still running.

Originally posted by small change
    It was old it was Brown and it was ugly

It was 1969 and I was 14 and I found it in the attic

I remember some things about it

It was very heavy, when I dragged it down the stairs and put it in my bedroom window, I remember stuffing towels around it to get it to fit

The lights dimmed in my room when I turned it on

I remember My Dad wasn't very happy when he saw it and pitched a ***** about it

That sounds like something my middle son would do
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

We had a couple relic window shakers in the early 60s. Around 1970 Dad got tired of getting warm downstairs so he went to Sears and bought the biggest one he could. Of course the salesman didn't talk about proper sizing. The sucker was a 2.5 ton, probably twice the size. We could keep the downstairs mid 60s in mid 90s weather! Of course had to run a dehumidifier to keep Mom's piano happy. Had to turn it off when we had dinner in the dining room, would blow us into the next room! Drove by the old place a couple of years ago, that unit was still there nearly 35 years later!

We didn't get one till I was about 7, we had a window shaker that dad brought home from work on a job he did at the time.. It only worked for a week, then winter came..

We didn't have A/C till I was 12. Well, would of had it 2 years earlier if Dad wouild of taken the time to install it. Old Willie stayed in the box in back of the house for 2 years. Once dad installed it, Friends used to give me crap cuz we had central air. Most other didn't have a/c or just a small window shaker.

We were so poor , my daddy would come in the night before Christmas and paint my feet brown and ask me the next mornig how I liked my new shoes?

first time i had ac was after i joined the airforce after tech school my first duty assignment the barracks had ac james you kill me.

Originally posted by James 3528
    We were so poor , my daddy would come in the night before Christmas and paint my feet brown and ask me the next mornig how I liked my new shoes?

you sure that was paint.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123