Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 90+% furnace exhaust vent icing?

Post Likes
    If your grandma cooked with a wood stove I would bet my next paycheck that she slept with her window cracked open an inch or so every nite.

Post Likes
    OK, well its safe to say building codes, comfort expectations, technology, means of heating and cooling have changed and therefore yesterdays advice doesnt nessesarily apply to todays families. Besides we dont ned to hear the roosters, we have alarm clocks and get up later anyway.

Its really rather unfortunate this salesman was the one who came to your house. My guess was he's hungry, triying to manipulate stock, and can only sell on price so he offers the cheapest equipment he has.

Go with the 90+ and another contractor.

Now, I would look for a Ruud dealer and get the Mod 90, York may be releasing one soon, but the Ruud has been around and proven for 10 years, York will have to wrok out the bugs if and when they release theirs.

Post Likes
    Doc, are you saying york would release a product that may have a quirk or 2, or 3 or....

Post Likes
    A house that is leaky can many times contribute to an appliance not venting properly.

IMHO,I would rather have the house as tight as possible & ventilate mechanically.

It is hard to have any control over air changes in a leaky home,too many variables involved.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Post Likes
    thats funny what an idiot. im from mn been installing for 6 years now . 90's are the way to go. if that flue ices up its 100% from improper installion. i work with guys that have 3 months experience and they can run a leak free perfectly installed and pitched flue not hard at all.. since 90 furnaces need to drain water , if you have a fresh air bringing ventilation to your mechanical room make sure that fresh air is at least roughly 4 ft away from drain tubing. when its 30 below zero outside i see fresh airs freezing furnaces drains and also furnace mounted humidifiers drains. or even water mains. might need to move fresh air away or add a heat register right off your plenum only seen flues freeze from not being glued good enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in