Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by docholiday
    defeats the purpose of having a furnace where you live!
    LOL... It sure would.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Living and working in a northern climate such as yours (I am in northern michigan) almost all the furnaces we put in are 90+. As long as the manufacturers instructions are followed you should have no trouble with the venting of the furnace.
    Animals are another concern, cant control what they do. But I have not had any calls involving pests in pvc vent. Though I have had some involving 80% furnaces, one involved more bats than I ever care to see again.
    Screens are another matter...we do not install them here, because of the potential for unwanted service calls.

I would definetly consider the 2 stage variable speed furnace.

I have heard Trane is coming out with a three stage as well, but I will wait til it is actually in stock at the distributor before I get excited about it.

York is suppose to come out with their mod furnace this winter.
    Contractor locator map

Wow! Lots of great info here, thanks! I'm in the Twin Cities metro. I don't know if the salesman is afraid of the 90+ efficiency furnaces, or was trying to dump his 80% stock and ensure some repeat business as prices increase. Needless to say, he struck out on both counts.

Since all the reps I've talked to plan to vent through the rim joists, I figured regular winter inspection was a must. I already check my dryer vent in the winter to make sure it is open. It only makes sense to ensure that an exhaust vent is open, CO can kill! The PVC itself doesn't bother me, it was the "hanging out a foot, haven for animals, and having to chip ice off it daily" part that I didn't like.

I inspect for wasps and bees after some "surprise tenants" moved in shortly after I did. I do worry about other wee creatures, we have some brazen chipmunks in the neighborhood. If we don't go with the Trane unit, or concentric venting (not sure if Lennox or Bryant offer that), I may have to consider some summer screening and add another item to the fall maintenance list.

Some of those incidents are scary, it's hard to believe people can be so dumb! Easter eggs and laundry on an exhaust vent???? Brother! And I do plan to read the manual, several times. My father always said, don't get it if you won't take the time to understand it!

I'll have to consider the 10 SEER AC, everyone defaulted to the higher SEER units. Maybe because of the utility rebates. It would be nice if money was no problem, but if money was no problem..... I may go with the variable speed blower, it is more expensive but sounds like it's worth it. Winter is our major season, so it makes sense to spend more on the furnace and not the AC.

I have one more rep coming in (recommended by a friend), and then it's "bite the bullet" time. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks again for all the wonderful info! You people are GREAT!

A properly installed high eff furnace will not have problems with vent iceing. I have had my Lennox 90+ furnace several years and have had only one problem with the vent. 3 years ago we had a very large snow and the intake was covered with snow!! My furnace has a roof termination also the vent is near the highest portion of the house. With more than two feet of snow the intake became covered and the furnace locked out! With that much snow up there it was time to remove some anyway.

Originally posted by beenthere
    Ok, I'll bite, why keep the bedroom window open an inch or 2.

Kinda defeats the purpose of buying better windows.

Nope, you don't get the answer that easily. Find a grandparent or great grandparent and ask if they still do this. If so, ask them why. This advice has been passed down in my family for several generations and is why I don't seal all the leaks in my old house. I would rather the house breathe a little. I have a boiler also.

My parents, and grandparents have all passed on some time ago.

So I can't ask them till i do also.

my grandma on my das side cooked with a wood stove.
    Contractor locator map

If your grandma cooked with a wood stove I would bet my next paycheck that she slept with her window cracked open an inch or so every nite.

OK, well its safe to say building codes, comfort expectations, technology, means of heating and cooling have changed and therefore yesterdays advice doesnt nessesarily apply to todays families. Besides we dont ned to hear the roosters, we have alarm clocks and get up later anyway.

Its really rather unfortunate this salesman was the one who came to your house. My guess was he's hungry, triying to manipulate stock, and can only sell on price so he offers the cheapest equipment he has.

Go with the 90+ and another contractor.

Now, I would look for a Ruud dealer and get the Mod 90, York may be releasing one soon, but the Ruud has been around and proven for 10 years, York will have to wrok out the bugs if and when they release theirs.

Doc, are you saying york would release a product that may have a quirk or 2, or 3 or....
    Contractor locator map

A house that is leaky can many times contribute to an appliance not venting properly.

IMHO,I would rather have the house as tight as possible & ventilate mechanically.

It is hard to have any control over air changes in a leaky home,too many variables involved.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

thats funny what an idiot. im from mn been installing for 6 years now . 90's are the way to go. if that flue ices up its 100% from improper installion. i work with guys that have 3 months experience and they can run a leak free perfectly installed and pitched flue not hard at all.. since 90 furnaces need to drain water , if you have a fresh air bringing ventilation to your mechanical room make sure that fresh air is at least roughly 4 ft away from drain tubing. when its 30 below zero outside i see fresh airs freezing furnaces drains and also furnace mounted humidifiers drains. or even water mains. might need to move fresh air away or add a heat register right off your plenum only seen flues freeze from not being glued good enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12