Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I NEED MAJOR HELP TO KEEP MY JOB IN NYC!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Exclamation I NEED MAJOR HELP TO KEEP MY JOB IN NYC!!!

So okay I just graduated from school two weeks ago and I happened to land a job at the Intrepid Museum in Manhattan. I threw my application there because I thought whats the worse that could happen... I get a job or I don't. I scored the job and its union oppurtunity, problem now is I have never EVER worked on these kinda chillers before. These things are monsters. Intrepid Museum uses two huge chillers to cool the ship and I have no idea on how to start doing any kinda preventive maintenance on that thing. What are some major key things to keep check on about industrial chillers ? It's a really challenging position for me.... kinda scary since I'm a young guy just comming out of school and already being brought into this crazy big system but I would like to try my best and show the team that I'm willing to learn and understand. Any info on preventive maintenance on chillers would be helpful !

Post Likes
    They cannot have hired you for you experience (if you were honest on your resume) so rejoice in the break, be quick to work, long of ear and short of tongue and it will work out for a really good start in your new vocation. Congratulations....
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    They cannot have hired you for you experience (if you were honest on your resume) so rejoice in the break, be quick to work, long of ear and short of tongue and it will work out for a really good start in your new vocation. Congratulations....
    i think im going out drinking tonight to get this off my mind aha
    but thank you! I'm just gonna have to rack up on the awefully good salary that I wasn't expecting and then get fired... lol
    but I sure will yes them to death and do my best !

Post Likes
    I was blessed with a very good mechanic my first time out. When he saw I was more fluff than stuff ---but respectful and eager to learn---he took me under his wing and made a tin knocker out of me. In six years I was running my own crew so his trust paid off. It'll be all right...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Post Likes

Well Said!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    Where were you in 1967, when I was starting out? With that in mind, don't believe there is "no such thing as a stupid question" There are stupid questions: the ones you didn't think through enough before you ask the question. Only exception is when you think something you see can get you or someone else HURT, THen speak up right away!!!!
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    ask them to call in the chiller company's service tech to go over the yearly P.M. with you.
    Look in the manual of the chiller and associated equipment for a P.M. schedule.

Post Likes
    First of all dont panic, if you did well in school then you can apply what you have learned to this job. The chillers are awe inspiring I know because I went out to work on my first one I was freaken out big time, but I remembered what my first year teacher always said "they all work the same, in principle but just look different." I was also blessed with a couple of Journeymen that once I proved that I was willing too learn they tended to let me do things that was way above my paygrade. I am so thankful that they took the time and effort to teach me. I still have alot too learn, but I do ALOT of reading on my own time Google is a very powerful tool learn too use it. Enter your chiller info and search it and see what you find. Go to the manufacters ( obiviously they didnt teach me how too spell lol) web site and see if you can dig up some service FAQ's and digest every bit of information you can. Good luck

Post Likes
    Thanks alot you guys for all of the replies!

[QUOTE=GoColts;10354922]I still have alot too learn, but I do ALOT of reading on my own time Google is a very powerful tool [\QUOTE]

google is definitly my best friend when it comes to information. I've been reading up on lil bits of all types of articles on preventive maintenance for chillers. I do know the basic refrigeration cycle by heart and understand what each of the major compenents do. I understand chillers use a secondary refrigerant to cool the conditioned space as well. What makes it difficult for me are the added controls or added mechanical aspects of the system. Like the heat exchanger, air handlers, different pumps, etc. I guess once I learn where everything is I will be okay :3

Post Likes
    Hmmm, young Jedi willing to read !!! and further themselves within this industry....

I'd of hired you too

KEEP reading young Jedi

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_aid_nyc View Post
    What are some major key things to keep check on about industrial chillers ?
    Don't let them run above the run outside their parameters!

That vague statement means you need to know what exactly what the chiller should be at and what you need to do if it's not.

Being straight out of school(I'm hoping), you should be with another guy, with experience servicing these machines.

Back to the original question, just like smaller equipment.......heat transfer, state of refrigerant at each given point, and oil are your key points.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Don't let them run above the run outside their parameters!

That vague statement means you need to know what exactly what the chiller should be at and what you need to do if it's not.

Being straight out of school(I'm hoping), you should be with another guy, with experience servicing these machines.

Back to the original question, just like smaller equipment.......heat transfer, state of refrigerant at each given point, and oil are your key points.

wellllllllllll the head of the maintenance team stated, "this is a one man gig, I dont have time to come down here to fix sumtin when its supposed to be your job or else you'll be thrown out like the last guy cause he didn't know jack ****. At least you have a schooling backround."

I dunno how much help I'll get lol and what about the oil ? like does the oil need frequent changing in these systems or they just have to be maintained at a constant pressure ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cool_aid_nyc View Post
    wellllllllllll the head of the maintenance team stated, "this is a one man gig, I dont have time to come down here to fix sumtin when its supposed to be your job or else you'll be thrown out like the last guy cause he didn't know jack ****. At least you have a schooling backround."

I dunno how much help I'll get lol and what about the oil ? like does the oil need frequent changing in these systems or they just have to be maintained at a constant pressure ?
    I don't know what you have? Model numbers would help. You state industrial chillers......so I'll assume 500tons plus.

So your suppose to FIX the units you have? So straight out of school, you're suppose to maintain and fix these chillers, by yourself with no assistance? Wow....good luck with that. No wonder that last guy got thrown out.

Post Likes
    Hmmmm, I'm thinking I am in pickle jar, with no way out.........

Sure hope you did not over sell yourself here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    Hmmmm, I'm thinking I am in pickle jar, with no way out.........

Sure hope you did not over sell yourself here
    haha I was totally honest with everything I said to the man. He knows I'm just comming out of school and I told him I had no field experience but that I'm willing to learn and am motivated to work in this field and to be honest I never expected a call back from them. I scratched them off. I told myself I'd crap my pants if they called me back because its really like... WOW i have to maintain THAT ?? where do i start ?? O_O

Post Likes

Question

What kind of equipmennt do you have?
    "My hands are for sale"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    I don't know what you have? Model numbers would help. You state industrial chillers......so I'll assume 500tons plus.

So your suppose to FIX the units you have? So straight out of school, you're suppose to maintain and fix these chillers, by yourself with no assistance? Wow....good luck with that. No wonder that last guy got thrown out.

hmmm maybe not 500 tons but I'ma take my guess at no more than 300tons for the whole ship, I asked the guy myself what he had if it was an absorption system and what tonnage it was and he just kinda looked at me like 0.o lol he said he wasnt sure what tonnage it was but that it's big and that he just knows how to fix it. its all pure preventive maintenance im sure so no fixing yet... ill find out more info and drop it here. I start this monday

Post Likes
    good luck lol .... ur nuts if u ask me but if they knew u had no experience I suppose that's their problem

Post Likes
    You better get your post count up and apply for pro membership. Your gonna need technical help.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    You better get your post count up and apply for pro membership. Your gonna need technical help.
    and put a freekin' email addy in that profile
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I've always wanted to be an ER dr. this thread has inspired me to send a resume

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in