Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianA View Post
    Nope, Have not started yet. Still scoping it all out before I start. A very little bit of knowledge I got from the class still has me a bit nervous to start.

I also noticed that the air intake for the furnace is almost in front of the place where the lines go into the coil. Can there be a 90 going into the furnace?

I know you get a lot of DIYers looking for advice. I am trying to learn and start a small sideline servicing ice machines. Not sure if that is dumb or not, but looking to slowly work my way into a career. Currently selling real estate and you know how that is;-)

I appreciate any help, at least my first project is on my own equipment.

Thanks

Brian
    13 more posts before you can apply for Pro and then

Sure, you can braze with just acetylene, just be sure to trickle nitrogen through the piping. I usually use an oxy acetylene also, but always use nitrogen. Ive gotten into the habit of brazing from the indoor coil to the outdoor unit so when I get to the very last joint, I shut off the nitrogen so it doesn't blow out any braze. Also, make sure you wet rag the service valves and txv. Good luck!

I've used a TurboTorch and OxyAcetylene. While the TurboTorch does fine, it definately takes longer and heats up a larger area. The OxyAcetylene makes tight areas and areas that have a lot of material nearby easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Josephs LLC View Post
    Sure, you can braze with just acetylene, just be sure to trickle nitrogen through the piping. I usually use an oxy acetylene also, but always use nitrogen. Ive gotten into the habit of brazing from the indoor coil to the outdoor unit so when I get to the very last joint, I shut off the nitrogen so it doesn't blow out any braze. Also, make sure you wet rag the service valves and txv. Good luck!
    Why do you turn off the nitrogen while your brazing? I don't get it? I dont have braze blow out..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Yeah, I've actually had a little bit of braze bubble out right on the last joint. And yes I am just trickling nitrogen through. It happened a few times years ago, and I just have gotten in the habit of shutting off the nitrogen while I'm heating the last joint. Since there is no oxygen in the piping at that point, there should be no harm. Anyone else ever have that happen? I've been doing plumbing and HVAC for 16 years, so I'm not new at this, lol.

Yeah, I've actually had a little bit of braze bubble out right on the last joint. And yes I am just trickling nitrogen through. It happened a few times years ago, and I just have gotten in the habit of shutting off the nitrogen while I'm heating the last joint. Since there is no oxygen in the piping at that point, there should be no harm. Anyone else ever have that happen? I've been doing plumbing and HVAC for 16 years, so I'm not new at this, lol.
    On Occasion with perhaps a little liquid boil off, I have even connected up my suckulator to over come this phenomenon

Just don't tell anybody here as I am sure they will bash me for this

If the air-handler has a TXV it can build some pressure. I had one this past week where I blew a joint with about 2 or 3 psi and ended up killing the Nitrogen. My opinion is like yours, once you've displaced the oxygen let'er rip but normally I'll get it all plumbed up then braze it all while it's flowing.

I'm an ol' Acetylene & Oxygen guy but I always use a turbo.

(2 less tanks to keep up with. The oxygen I'm using and the spare!)
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

I have brazed with both but I hate the TurboTorch, they take forever and are all around less precise. That being said if your used to working with one, they work great. They also are less expensive for start up cost and you only need one tank but eventually you will find that an oxy/acet is the way to go.

Dont be afraid of your turbotorch though, it will do the job just fine. And if its what your used to, you will probably have more luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thRoot View Post
    I have brazed with both but I hate the TurboTorch, they take forever and are all around less precise. That being said if your used to working with one, they work great. They also are less expensive for start up cost and you only need one tank but eventually you will find that an oxy/acet is the way to go.

Dont be afraid of your turbotorch though, it will do the job just fine. And if its what your used to, you will probably have more luck with it.
    Not that patient here waiting for things to warm up, not that happy when other crap starts to melt.... etc....

I'll stick with my rig, with the broken gauges, that's all beat up as if it was up on 10,000 roofs to many in the snow/rain/etc......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12