Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newby Brazing question

I just finished my first refrigeration course at the local tech school and will be taking my EPA test next week. We were taught to braze with an acetylene torch. I am going to install a Goodman AC (410) at our house. I was at Johnston supply picking up a 15% silver brazing stick. The guy at the counter said I need a 2 tank system to braze the copper lines. I do have an acetylene tank, but I think my tip may be too small.

Can I braze the lines with just the acetylene and what size tip do I need?

Thanks

Brian A

Welcome to H-Talk....
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

I've never brazed with just acetylene before. All i've ever used is your basic two tank oxy-ace set ups. IMO I would get a two tank, very easy to control your work.

Get you an Oxy-Acy kit from any HVAC supply or Welding Supply they usually come with a #2 tip on them....I would practice b4 you go to town on a new system the wrong flame held to close for to long will burn through copper! Plus a good fire ext.. is always a good thing to have on hand!
    --Men fight for freedom, then they make laws to take it away from themselves!--

You can get tips for the turbo-torch set up that will braze (smaller sizes). Heading into the refrigeration field, you would be much better suited with the Oxy-Acy setup as recommended.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Turbo torch works great. I've brazed 2 1/2"copper with it.

The turbo torch will do anything you would use in a household system. What it might not do is unbraze Eventually you will want oxy-acy setup so budget accordingly.

Brazed many miles of Refer piping in my day and most of it done with the Turbo torch. That being said the turbo torch creates a larger area of heat and causes more interior pipe scale than when you use and oxy/acet set up.. Just be sure to purge with Nitrogen and you will be fine....

Quote Originally Posted by BrianA View Post
    I just finished my first refrigeration course at the local tech school and will be taking my EPA test next week. Congratulations.We were taught to braze with an acetylene torch. I am going to install a Goodman AC (410) at our house. I was at Johnston supply picking up a 15% silver brazing stick. The guy at the counter said I need a 2 tank system to braze the copper lines. I do have an acetylene tank, but I think my tip may be too small.

Can I braze the lines with just the acetylene and what size tip do I need? Thanks

Brian A
    The flame temperature for air-acetylene torches with the maximum sized high-velocity tip installed can get up to 2600 degrees F. The brazing stick you mentioned will flow at 1500 degrees F. The problem with an air-acetylene set-up is it shouln't be used for brazing a connection located near a heat sink. Such as a valve or compressor, as they tend to draw heat away from the brazing area, prolonging the brazing process and quickly exhausting the acetylene supply. If there is no heat sink close to the area in question, tip size depends on copper tubing size. For brazing purposes: #3 H.V. tip = 1/4"-7/8" tubing, #4 H.V. tip = 5/8"-1 1/8" tubing, #5 H.V. tip = 7/8"-1 5/8" tubing. Not sure what torch you have so please check your torch manual or call the manufacturer. Also purge with nitrogen before brazing. Hope this helped.

I use the oxy/acetylene mix myself; that being said I have nothing against turbo torches. Some of the best hvac guys I know swear by them. They last longer IMO too. I still like the versatility of oxy, but if you've got it, go with it.

I got a feeling he is installing his unit right about now.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    I got a feeling he is installing his unit right about now.
    Ya think

Nope, Have not started yet. Still scoping it all out before I start. A very little bit of knowledge I got from the class still has me a bit nervous to start.

I also noticed that the air intake for the furnace is almost in front of the place where the lines go into the coil. Can there be a 90 going into the furnace?

I know you get a lot of DIYers looking for advice. I am trying to learn and start a small sideline servicing ice machines. Not sure if that is dumb or not, but looking to slowly work my way into a career. Currently selling real estate and you know how that is;-)

I appreciate any help, at least my first project is on my own equipment.

Thanks

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast