RIP Dr. Jack - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 37 of 37

Thread: RIP Dr. Jack

  1. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    985
    Listening to that man try and explain why he was doing what he was doing reminded of someone who is their own worst enemy. He was the wrong guy to argue for euthanasia. Creepy man...

  2. #28
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,472
    Yeah, he seemed a little creepy. But I think the reason he talked the way he did was because he had the strength of his convictions; he was a pathologist, so he was knowledgeable and objective (not ignorant and subjective, as we are); and he was old.

    When some people get old, if they are experienced and knowledgeable, and they prefer to think objectively instead of subjectively, they get to a point where they don't care about the advent of their own death, and they don't give a dam what other people think. They speak frankly, especially with others who are near death, and they have little patience for people who talk like everyone else and who appear to have no opinions or considered thoughts of their own.

    It's true; young people think strange old people are creepy.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Yeah, he seemed a little creepy. But I think the reason he talked the way he did was because he had the strength of his convictions; he was a pathologist, so he was knowledgeable and objective (not ignorant and subjective, as we are); and he was old.

    When some people get old, if they are experienced and knowledgeable, and they prefer to think objectively instead of subjectively, they get to a point where they don't care about the advent of their own death, and they don't give a dam what other people think. They speak frankly, especially with others who are near death, and they have little patience for people who talk like everyone else and who appear to have no opinions or considered thoughts of their own.

    It's true; young people think strange old people are creepy.
    I don't see what the morality of suicide has to do with pathology...

  4. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,472
    Do you see where someone was making such a connection?
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,918
    I think the issue is much bigger than Dr. K.

    Allowing someone to do what he did is very dangerous. No one man should be allowed to play God. There is too much risk for abuse or incompetence.

    Euphanasia I think has a place but its should not be just one guy deciding who should die.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Do you see where someone was making such a connection?
    Oh I don't know, the whole being knowlegable and objective as a patholigist compared to the rest of us ninnies who have no considered thought prattling on about thinking it may be somehow wrong to commit suicide, just sounded a little like you were saying a pathologists opinion about suicide is superior...my bad.

  7. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,472
    I think the issue is much bigger than Dr. K.

    Allowing someone to do what he did is very dangerous. No one man should be allowed to play God. There is too much risk for abuse or incompetence.

    Euphanasia I think has a place but its should not be just one guy deciding who should die.
    Did DR. K play God?
    Did he decide who should die? Or did he ease the suffering of those who were on death's doorstep, and who would have been dead already if their lives had not been prolonged through medical means? At whose request did he do it?

    Did he go around looking for people who might be dying and say, "I think you need to die now. Here, take this poison?" Or did he act as a priest might, administering the last rites, when he was summoned to the bedsides of people dying in agony?

    Medically, did he do anything different than thousands of other doctors in response to a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) request?
    Did he cause the deaths of his patients or did he ease them?

    The main thing he did that was so different from other doctors was that he broke the "Don't ask, don't tell" rule, and made his procedures public, thereby turning the easing of a DNR into a political football, and costing himself eight years in prison in the process.

    Really, all he was doing was making a statement, and making it in a way that might cause all the high muckety-mucks to sit up and take notice.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,472
    Quote Originally Posted by cool-in-cayman View Post
    Oh I don't know, the whole being knowlegable and objective as a patholigist compared to the rest of us ninnies who have no considered thought prattling on about thinking it may be somehow wrong to commit suicide, just sounded a little like you were saying a pathologists opinion about suicide is superior...my bad.
    Oh, I see. Should I clarify?
    I didn't mean "ignorant" as an absolute. I meant it a relative term. And I was poking fun at us having a discussion about him, not trying to ruffle any feathers.
    I was just trying to say that he was old, and that he looked at things from a perspective that most of us are not in a position to even view from, much less consider, simply because of the aspects of his profession and his age, not from a higher or lower place, but from somewhere over to the side of the on-off switch between death (wrong) and life (right), a switch that that might be a SPDT, not a SPST, and a switch that was not so much thrown by him as one whose throw was softened.

    But when we talk about him, we don't know anything about him, except what little we have heard in a few sound-bites, and we project our sense of morality over him like a net, assuming that our perception of him and his situations is in fact the whole truth of the matter, and that as we trap him in our net, we have trapped his morality as well.

    His morality is not superior, it is finer. It has been run through the mill a few times and has the consistency of sand, where ours is like a spare golf ball we keep in our pocket for "emergencies," generating lint.

    So he talks about sand and we talk about golf balls, and the sand falls through the net.

    Well, I took the long way around, but really, all I am trying to say is, with what little we know about Dr. K and his patients and his circumstances, there is no way that we can be as objective about him as he was about what was best for his patients. Compared to the information, knowledge, and experience he had at his disposal, ours is relatively limited, and our discussions therefore relatively subjective.

    Who are we to judge him? And how do we know we are even applying the right template?
    Last edited by Space Racer; 06-06-2011 at 01:34 AM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    985
    Being from Michigan, i recall watching this guy on TV...alot. He's a sick puppy. What he wanted to do goes way beyond ending suffering. The guy was like a modern day dr. mengele wannabe except kevorkian was a failed physician who could barely hold a job...ever.

    First time i've seen his "art", seems to fit his strange personality.

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    985

  11. #37
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Atlanta area
    Posts
    2,472
    Quote Originally Posted by cool-in-cayman View Post
    Listening to that man try and explain why he was doing what he was doing reminded of someone who is their own worst enemy. He was the wrong guy to argue for euthanasia. Creepy man...
    Yes, he was his own worst enemy. I thought he was more scrupulous than that. He liked to shoot first and ask questions later, didn't he?

    I am surprised that his reputation is not more tarnished than it is.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

    Change your vacuum pump oil now.

    Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event