Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Dr. Jack

I like his ride..............Old Volkswagen Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by snewman24 View Post
    I totally agree.....Did you see his last interview with Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN?
    He basically said there's nothing special about human life, and that if he had his choice, he never would have been born.....very dark guy.

Ha!...CNN...go figure!
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

I always thought he would be a natural for a referee in an Ultimate Fighting Championship fight. I mean he can declare the victor after determining his opponent is dead. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

did he ever do jail time? i don't have a problem with what he did. he did it at the customers request right? we put our dogs down because they are suffering, or it is not worth the surgury because the pet is to old. i know it's on a different level but just a referance. they must have a reason to contact him, and most likely they are just sick of suffering and not being able to enjoy life like it should be. jmo.

I think as a society today we are not up to a debate on this issue.

Until Jack dragged it into the spotlight for questionable reasons it was something private between doctors and those dealing with their individual situations.

I have a whole lot more more faith in this relationship than dragging it into a public spectacle with our current state of "society". To many groups have their own agendas, and the people affected get swept away in the conflict.

Jack was the wrong man at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Ha!...CNN...go figure!
    Hey cool have you seen some of "Dr." Kevorkian's art? I guess not. Yeah he is no longer in the house. Apparently he was fasinated with death. Sure wouldn't want him for a doctor. Perhaps he will be hailed as a famous macarbe artist now that he is dead. Yeah he was a great compassionate man alright. Thank you, thank you very much

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_871236.html

Kevorkian pointing to a piece of his art

"Nearer My God Than Thee" by Dr. Jack Kevorkian.
    His fascination with death and the act of dying permeate his art. The paintings on display are full of lurid colors and imagery of death, almost what one might expect from someone commonly known as is "Doctor Death". Images such as "Very Still Life,' which depicts a human skull and "Nearer My God Than Thee," with a man clawing walls as he's dragged to his death, give credence to that nickname.

A painting by Kevorkian, "The Gourmand," which is a commentary on war.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Definitely a bent valve in that compressor....
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    Definitely a bent valve in that compressor....
    Yeah probably could have been the man with the final say at Copeland or Tecumseh on rather or not a compressor is dead or if it is OK and just sent back because it had a bad capacitor or burnt wires at the hook up pins by some crooked AC company or some jack leg who doesn't know jack about repair, just new install. Thank you, thank you very much
    Barry Goldwater

Yep, he was fascinated with death...maybe thats why he was a Pathologist.

Death has fascinated people and cultures all over the world since the beginning....ever study the Myan or the Egyptian culture?

Have you ever seen Bosch's paintings of Hell?

I happen to like his artwork and am an artist myself.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

I think there is more at stake than a black-and-white moral judgment.

I mean, you can't evaluate his actions only in terms of your moral constructs about life and death.

I think Dr. K was a man who was frustrated with the devolving status-quo system that says you have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in the last months of a person's life so that it can be painfully prolonged for a few more days, at the expense of people who are often forced into bankruptcy as a result, and who often die from the physical and emotional stress of caregiving; and/or at the expense of Medicare, some 27% of whose budget is spent on catastrophic illness in the last remaining weeks or months of people's lives, and whose budget is among those which are bankrupting this nation.

If you want to prolong some one's life, don't wait until he/she is 75 years old before you start to consider the options.

If you want to live a long life, stop eating processed and refined foods and get off the damn couch.

If you want to torture a relative and ruin your life and the lives of your family members in the process, then by all means, give him a long lasting, painful, fatal disease, such as Huntington's chorea, strap him to a bed, plug a bunch of tubes into him, force feed him with a big plastic syringe jammed in his throat, take a second mortgage on the house and sell everything you own so that you can pay some of the bills, and quit your job so that you can be a full time caregiver.

That'll make life worth living, won't it?
    Last edited by Space Racer; 06-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

First: I am NOT in favor of euthanasia.

However, I spent several years working for nursing homes, some good, some bad. I do believe that doctors often do harm by extending peoples lives.

I'm against speeding up death but in favor of letting it happen sometimes.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The gist of the oath is "Do No Harm"

I don't think physician assisted suicide is compatible with that.
    And keeping a dying person alive is doing harm to them, but hospitals love the money it brings, and a lot of it is our tax dollars.

Been there saw that...

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think Dr. K was hastening death so much as he was making death a little more comfortable.

When we say he hastened someone's death, that means we are speaking in reference to a sense of when that person might have died otherwise. But without the intervention of the primary physicians, who is to say that the patient would not have died sooner? And if the patient first goes to a doctor and says "Please prolong my life," can he not also say "Please stop prolonging my life?" (If I can only have one without the other, I will seriously consider selecting "none of the above.")

If he can say "Please stop prolonging my life," can't he also say, please help me make my death a comfortable one, or a less tortured one?"
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast