Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 37

Thread: RIP Dr. Jack

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,898

    RIP Dr. Jack

    Dr. Kevorkian is longer in the house.

    He used to come by my folks place back in the early 80s for poker night. Brilliant man that was tired of the medical establishment depleting families of their life savings.

    RIP
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

    - Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salisbury, MD.
    Posts
    1,473
    He definately did what he thought was right regardless of what anyone else thought. He was one of the few people that actually listened to what the sick and dying wanted and needed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    White Lake, MI
    Posts
    973
    He had a fascination with death, guess he know's the answers now.

    RIP

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,507
    I think he was an ass. Regardless what you think of euthanasia, he worked way to hard at getting people to die. Also, the whole idea of physician-assisted suicide is crazy, and in-conflict with the Hippocratic oath they take.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,898
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    I think he was an ass. Regardless what you think of euthanasia, he worked way to hard at getting people to die. Also, the whole idea of physician-assisted suicide is crazy, and in-conflict with the Hippocratic oath they take.
    Most religious people don't care for the guy. I knew him personally and assure you that he was not an ass. On the contrary, he was well educated, intelligent and knew how the system works.
    The oath you mention is to practice medicine ethically....I believe he was.

    It is the medical establishment that needs to practice better ethics and start caring for people rather than the not so mighty american dollar.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

    - Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,507
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Most religious people don't care for the guy. I knew him personally and assure you that he was not an ass. On the contrary, he was well educated, intelligent and knew how the system works.
    The oath you mention is to practice medicine ethically....I believe he was.

    It is the medical establishment that needs to practice better ethics and start caring for people rather than the not so mighty american dollar.
    The gist of the oath is "Do No Harm"

    I don't think physician assisted suicide is compatible with that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,898
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The gist of the oath is "Do No Harm"

    I don't think physician assisted suicide is compatible with that.
    Im sure the people he helped didn't see it that way. Besides, who is doing the harm?
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

    - Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,507
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Im sure the people he helped didn't see it that way. Besides, who is doing the harm?
    Killing them, even if they're sick, is doing harm.

  9. #9
    Having recently witnessed first hand the dignity, bravery and grace a loved one can face a painful end without resorting to suicide, I don't wish to have it happen to myself or another loved one, but mine/our faith was strengthened to see that it can be done with an abiding belief that God will call us home in due time without our help.

    Being "religious", I can't imagine the pure horror of sliding from one reality into another, believing that you're ending the pain, only to find out that it's just starting...and all because you pulled the switch.

    As for the good doctor, may he go to his place, his intellectual and moral flatulance lighting the way.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    17,898
    Where reason and rational thought end, religion begins.

    Lets keep you alive and in agony for a few years. I will wager that your God will not sooth your pain and that a quick death would take first priority on your list.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

    - Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    White Lake, MI
    Posts
    973
    It's an interesting moral debate when keeping it on an intellectual level without getting personal or rituous.

    Certain diseases strip one of all dignity and compromise loved ones emotionally and financially. I'm not so sure that a person of sound mind facing a known path of destruction shouldn't be able to choose a different more peaceful ending.

    With the intrusiveness of our government today, it wouldn't seem too slippery a slope to one day seeing an agency choosing such a path for us.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    I think he was an ass. .................
    I totally agree.....Did you see his last interview with Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN?
    He basically said there's nothing special about human life, and that if he had his choice, he never would have been born.....very dark guy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK07JUKGJCc
    Last edited by snewman24; 06-03-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added Youtube link
    B.O. = B.S.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    It's an interesting moral debate when keeping it on an intellectual level without getting personal or rituous.
    Very true...once one allows for the varying opinions and their foundations and understands that they wil not always agree, a debate can be a sharpening device for anyone's convictions.

    Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    Certain diseases strip one of all dignity and compromise loved ones emotionally and financially. I'm not so sure that a person of sound mind facing a known path of destruction shouldn't be able to choose a different more peaceful ending.
    Dignity is like paint, the elements of every day life will reveal how well prepped the surface was before it's applied. Emotions should never be a gauge for any decision of substance and one's loved ones can easily be motivated to pull the plug to ensure the safety of their inheritance. As for the other, why is a mind racked with pain and under the influence of pain killers considered reliable enough for this decision yet would not be considered reliable enough for any other major legal, corporate and family decisions?

    Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    With the intrusiveness of our government today, it wouldn't seem too slippery a slope to one day seeing an agency choosing such a path for us.
    One need only look to Belgium, Holland and Switzerland to see where this is heading.

    Just thinking out loud...shutting up.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event