+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pets are not welcome here

Post Likes
    But they have to have a license to live there, right?

And, with all the money flowing in for aid, can't they make some shelter for people unwilling to sacrifice their pets to Katrina's wake?

What are they gonna do? Require the last 10,000 people in the city to slaughter their pets before they are forced out? Will the national guard start shooting loose pets as well as looters?

"Milo and Otis made it out of the house before the waters rose and trapped them; they clung to the debris near their flooded home, wet and alone, searching in vain for their owners. Days passed, then finally in the distance, someone approached, there was a flash, then a sound, just before the bullet hit. Milo turned and watched his life long companion slip into the polluted waters. Then turned back to the rescuers......"

Anyone know someone at the ASPCA? I got pets, have had them and always will have them. I would not evacuate without them.

Post Likes
    Some members of our local humane society (IL) and the dog club are on the way down there to pick up a bunch of unclaimed strays and try to place them locally.

If anybody needs a dog, let me know.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Post Likes
    Are you making up the incident description to illustrate your point, or is that reported somewhere?

They won't kill the dogs, but they won't let a dog take a place on the bus/helicopter etc that otherwise would go to a human. They're already saying they don't have the resources to save all the humans there, never mind dogs.

Heck, when you're in the middle of the astrodome are you just gonna let your dog cr@p at the side of your bed?

Post Likes
    I'm asking if maybe we as a society should consider the plight of all people who are caught up in a disaster of the proportions such as Katrina.

Who said resources are not available to take care of all the people? Maybe the Red Cross can release some of their funds for animal shelters. Wouldn't be that much of a strain on the billions they are about to receive. This would be short term care, not the long term care most of the displaced humans will need. Many former pets will have to be put down for a variety of reasons, and this should come out of relief funds, not private entities like humane societies.

I'm not advocating anyone giving up their place for someones pet.

I am questioning relief efforts that do not consider pets.
    A forced evacuation with guns drawn is about to begin and many of those still there are there because of loyalty to pets. So far as I can tell, officials are saying leave your pets behind to starve to death.

Pets on the loose (which they will be once waters are pumped out) will band together in packs if not controlled.
    With smaller scale disasters, pets can be for the most part kept by relatives and friends while lives and homes are rebuilt. The scale of this disaster prevents this.

The wealthy who evacuated probably took their pets with them, the less able to evacuate rode it out and survived, needing aid in many cases.

Many people have animals as companions. Floods separate families as well as pets and livestock. Animals without their owners around can be dangerous. We in this trade know this.

Milo and Otis was a movie. Check it out at Blockbuster. I used them as an example of what I believe will eventually happen unless something is done.

"Heck, when you're in the middle of the astrodome are you just gonna let your dog cr@p at the side of your bed?"

Like the humans did?

This is not the last disaster America will endure. Maybe it is time we started learning from past mistakes. Maybe we ought to consider a lot of factors in planning for disasters. Maybe some houses/areas should not be rebuilt. FEMA needs to be torn up and rebuilt.

[Edited by MikeJ on 09-07-2005 at 01:30 PM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by scruit
    Are you making up the incident description to illustrate your point, or is that reported somewhere?

They won't kill the dogs, but they won't let a dog take a place on the bus/helicopter etc that otherwise would go to a human. They're already saying they don't have the resources to save all the humans there, never mind dogs.

Heck, when you're in the middle of the astrodome are you just gonna let your dog cr@p at the side of your bed?

From what I have seen of the Super Dome, my dogs are a hell of a lot cleaner. I would simply not go with out my dogs, but then I can survive with out the government.

Post Likes

I love my dog with all my heart.

That said....... Those pets will be missed, but they are disposable and replaceable. There is a much bigger picture here to consider. Man, if my family was ther hurting, starving, etc and I saw some boat saving DOGS....... Then I might get out my 9.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

I would feel just the opposite if they left them behind. The people were told to leave. The pets knew no better.

Post Likes
    But both can be saved with some preparedness. Things can be done in the future to prepare for this.

OK, let's form a white cross organization.

From this thread: The New Orleans detailed evac plan

FOUR(4) STEPS TO SAFETY
    1. Find Out What Could Happen to You: .........

b. Ask about animal care after disaster. Animals may not be allowed inside emergency shelters due to health regulations.

c. Find out how to help elderly or disabled persons, if needed.

That's about all that was said about pets and pet owners.
    I have worked with humane societies and pet havens. They are for the most part not on the government dole. They exist from private funding only for the most part. As one manager once told me, sadly, "if we had government funding, then they would want to control us and how and what we do." Aid comes with a price tag when dealing with the government.

Sorry Spotts, if I was in that ark and you took out your 9 because I decided to donate my time and money to rescuing animals, we would have words. Then return fire. 10,000 troops and aid workers are doing their thing. Fine.

[Edited by MikeJ on 09-07-2005 at 01:50 PM]

Post Likes
    One reporter was saying there was a dog swimming behind them, trying to keep up with them, while they were searching on a boat, Bastards would'nt stop to let the poor guy on, I woulda just said he/she was part of the rescue team if questioned.

It is pretty sad to see all those dogs stranded like that.

Post Likes
    Just typed in Katrina and Pets in a search engine and found this:

https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005?

Worth reading. Looks like it is under the Humane society of the United States.

Post Likes
    Well, made my pledge of 50 bucks... hope it helps.

Post Likes
    Good idea Mike. Just sent them a donation on my credit card. We were talking about the plight of the pets just this morning.

Post Likes
    Thanks Mike for finding that. I am going to make a donation. As I said, human life is important but when it is all said and done the humans were told to get out. The pets are the innocent victims.

Post Likes
    Good for you three. I hope 30 others send something today.
    I am moved by all that I have heard and seen on tv. I also just heard somethings about animals on the news and started thinking...so I posted.

Things are a bit tough here. Less hours after the heat wave stopped then got layed off last month. I am writing a check for $25 and sending it the Humane Society.

James: From a recent post of yours:
    just met for about 2 hours with my friend and Senator from this district. Over a couple of BBQ dinners we discuss the legwork for a bill making a mandatory by law the evacuation plan for coastal Georgia and the utilization of school busses, a driver roster and all tax payer assets....

A good step to take...hope Katrina's aftermath will help making new guidelines for your state. Get a paragraph in about pets and pet owner's plights.

Post Likes
    From recent news report on my comcast homepage:

New Orlean's Holdouts Coaxed from Homes:

....Dolores Devron and her husband, Forcell, finally agreed to go. Dolores Devron said she was relieved the couple were allowed to take their dog with them but angry they were ordered out.

Post Likes
    I'm not anti-dog... I have two myself... :-)

I would gladly foster one or two dogs from the disaster zone in my own house until their owners can get back on their feet... Does anyone know of any nationwide pet fostering program for the Katrina pets??

Having said that - humans first. What woud YOU do if they rescuers told you that you can't get on the rescue boat because there's a German Shepard sitting in the last seat... "There'll probably be another boat by here in the next day or two."

Post Likes
    If it was me personaly I would say see you in a few days. If it was my daughter I would feel different but would look for a different solution. There has to be one. Its not so much that they want you to leave your pet behind, its that they want to force you to leave your pet behind. Our dogs are part of our family and I would NOT leave without them even at gunpoint.
    We have been donating for years. Wife sent more yesterday and more will follow. I would also be willing to house some of these animals.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes
    I don't see how you can love and take care of something, make sure it is healthy and safe and then be expected when you are needed in it's life the most, to say "fu*k you" .

I'm not put together like that. I don't need their shelter that bad. I spent 53 days in the Mojave desert. N.O would be a breeze

Post Likes
    Originally posted by James 3528

I would feel just the opposite if they left them behind. The people were told to leave. The pets knew no better.
    I couldn't agree more. I was just thinking about this today.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Originally posted by MikeJ
    Just typed in Katrina and Pets in a search engine and found this:

https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005?

Worth reading. Looks like it is under the Humane society of the United States.
    Just made my donation. Thanks for the link!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in