Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You know what I mean, dunk man. the dry unit works great. Same wiring and all. It's something with these two units...

Cuchulain, the dry unit I installed this morning works great! Same wiring. Same voltage. What am I missing?

Put down your star and square screw driver and call a professional!

Thats what we are here for!

I wouldn't dare do surgery on my body because I am unqualified!

Don't try to do surgery on your unit, it is painfully obvious that you are just as unqualified!

What is it I'm missing? Why do you assume I don't know what I'm doing? Not using the corrects terms? Discuss this rather than trying to put me down?

according to site rules, we can't help you in this forum. No DIY, it's in the rules and you are clearly a DIY'er
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

-- William Ernest Henley

Nice....
    I'm going to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimprops View Post
    Ok. Both condensing units have 120 volts coming in on both legs. When the relay closes, whether from the tstat signaling to send voltage or if I push the plunger I get 120 volts sent to the compressor, cap and fan as appropriate. My concern has been why do both these units do the exact same thing and they are so similiar in make and model. There's no reset that I know of and they are both simple units. I was hoping somebody who works on carriers could give me some advise and i guess I'm thinking too much...
    I work on Carriers all day,
    Let me get this straight ..................

You "believe" you have a bad comp and OFM
    You stated that you "pushed in" the contactor and "saw" 120 volts going to each leg ?????

You NEVER stated any other test procedure to check on your theory of 2 bad motors and you tried to see what would happen if you manually actuated the contactor ......................... you just got soooooooo lucky !! IMHO, you should be happy to be around to read how much we want you to call a pro. You are going to get hurt working on things that you shouldnt be working on
    Extended dehydration is the key

Getting close to being Shut-down and... No, Not the "B" word!
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Is it being to technical to ask if there are a bunch of ants running around these units?

No ants at either property, dr. Phil.

I've seen the same thing, so yes it is possible, you did what I did ... changed the unit. The thing I also did was check both comp. and motor, I found both open, so what most likely happened was the fan motor failed. Then the compressor was killed because no fan. Those units do not have safeties or pasties or whatever. You are not going crazy, at least this time.

And for you other guys it must be nice to be special, all the guy did was ask a simple question.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by vmc1161 View Post
    I've seen the same thing, so yes it is possible, you did what I did ... changed the unit. The thing I also did was check both comp. and motor, I found both open, so what most likely happened was the fan motor failed. Then the compressor was killed because no fan. Those units do not have safeties or pasties or whatever. You are not going crazy, at least this time.

And for you other guys it must be nice to be special, all the guy did was ask a simple question.

Not sure what you mean by being special. I think I answered his question with my first post. I told him to check the high voltage. I shouldn't have to tell a tech how to check the high voltage right? He says he has 120 v on each leg. Obviously that doesn't mean much. Could just be a bad contactor, or blown fuse, well prettymuch anything. Awefully rare to blow a compressor and fan at the same time. Probably not impossible though. Just trying to give a helping hand without breaking the rules.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkman View Post
    Not sure what you mean by being special. I think I answered his question with my first post. I told him to check the high voltage. I shouldn't have to tell a tech how to check the high voltage right? He says he has 120 v on each leg. Obviously that doesn't mean much. Could just be a bad contactor, or blown fuse, well prettymuch anything. Awefully rare to blow a compressor and fan at the same time. Probably not impossible though. Just trying to give a helping hand without breaking the rules.
    Or bugs in the contactor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast