Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Carrier problems too coincidental?

I'm missing something. two rental apartments have carrier condensing units. model #'s 38CKB036320 and 38TG030300. neither the fan or compressor is working. has power. Relay closes with 24 volts. Cap OK. I'm simply stumped. any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you....

just where are you measuring the 24v?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Check the hi-v fuses.

24 volts from air handler (furnace) to condensing unit. The relay closes. As I said, power is good. I've never had a bad fan and compressor on the same unit but now I get two at about the same time and same symptoms and they are both carriers from roughly the same time period. seems too unlikely. What am I missing? I'm sure it's something silly but I can't get it...
    Last edited by Zimprops; 06-02-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Miss understood hi-v reply at firwt

Quote Originally Posted by Zimprops View Post
    24 volts from air handler (furnace) to condensing unit. The relay closes. where are hi-v fuses?
    Sorry, you're on your own there, site rules, no DIY.

24 volts from air handler (furnace) to condensing unit. The relay closes. As I said, power is good. I've never had a bad fan and compressor on the same unit but now I get two at about the same time and same symptoms and they are both carriers from roughly the same time period. seems too unlikely. What am I missing? I'm sure it's something silly but I can't get it...
    COME ON ...................
    REALLY ???????????

I can think of units that have several relays closing without any OFM's or comps coming on-line

What relay is closing ?

Do you have a meter ?
    (should you handle a meter ?)
    Extended dehydration is the key

Look dunk man, I replace one with a concord dry unit this morning and probably wil do the other but there has to be something simple here. If you don't want to share fine, but maybe someone else is willing to share their knowledge...

Well you said the power is good, but I don't buy that.

I'm guessing earwigs in the contactor.

Ok. Both condensing units have 120 volts coming in on both legs. When the relay closes, whether from the tstat signaling to send voltage or if I push the plunger I get 120 volts sent to the compressor, cap and fan as appropriate. My concern has been why do both these units do the exact same thing and they are so similiar in make and model. There's no reset that I know of and they are both simple units. I was hoping somebody who works on carriers could give me some advise and i guess I'm thinking too much...

Ok. Both condensing units have 120 volts coming in on both legs. When the relay closes, whether from the tstat signaling to send voltage or if I push the plunger I get 120 volts sent to the compressor, cap and fan as appropriate. My concern has been why do both these units do the exact same thing and they are so similiar in make and model. There's no reset that I know of and they are both simple units. I was hoping somebody who works on carriers could give me some advise and i guess I'm thinking too much...
    So it's a 120 volt unit?

They may have 120v on both legs, but that dosen't mean they are getting full power.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast