Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    I think Glen's idea is better. We don't really need to have a Defense budget 3 times larger than what the rest of the world spends on defense. Our allies could and should take up some of the slack. Why are we still in Iraq and Afghanistan? 10 years is long enough. As for the Liberal Arts, I could see cutting most federal funding, with private benefactors giving to sustain them. I just can't see letting the country go into default as some want it to.
    Tell you what Ace... a few weeks ago, I spent the evening with 3 Iraqi journalists... (no, I am not blowing smoke, this really happened). If this thread is still going when I have time... I will write a few paragraphs about it.

One would be surprised what these folks think.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    The main reason that the U.S. doesn't get invaded by ground forces from any of our enemies is that so many of us are armed and willing to kill those who attack us.

Now, if we can just make it legal to shoot some of the ones who are attacking us internally

No, Its because we have the most powerfull and armed forces on the planet.

A standing army attacking the US wouldnt face much opposition from the armed public. Yeah.... there are a few people who would fight back but for the most part when the army comes rolling into your town with tanks and artillery and heavy machine guns and combat ready troops...most armed citizens would just lay down or run screaming off into the woods.

In my opinion the only army capable of landing ground forces in the USA today would be china and they just are not interested at the moment.

Im not sure about Russia, I dont think their military is as capable and well maintained as it was during the cold war.

We are an extremely large land mass.... it would take quite an army to occupy this nation and to neutralize our military which is spread out among the states.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    No, Its because we have the most powerfull and armed forces on the planet.

A standing army attacking the US wouldnt face much opposition from the armed public. Yeah.... there are a few people who would fight back but for the most part when the army comes rolling into your town with tanks and artillery and heavy machine guns and combat ready troops...most armed citizens would just lay down or run screaming off into the woods.

In my opinion the only army capable of landing ground forces in the USA today would be china and they just are not interested at the moment.

Im not sure about Russia, I dont think their military is as capable and well maintained as it was during the cold war.

We are an extremely large land mass.... it would take quite an army to occupy this nation and to neutralize our military which is spread out among the states.
    You need to educate yourself corny. The main reason that we have not been attacked on U.S. soil is because we are an armed nation. That fact came out very definately with the Japanese during WWII. Why would anyone want to deliberately go into such a hornet's nest as a country with heavily armed citizens?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

You need to educate yourself corny. The main reason that we have not been attacked on U.S. soil is because we are an armed nation. That fact came out very definately with the Japanese during WWII. Why would anyone want to deliberately go into such a hornet's nest as a country with heavily armed citizens?
    I agree with Robo on this...

The USA won its independence over 200 years ago with a rag-tag army of farmers that risked their lives for freedom... Around where I live, there are lots of folks that would do it again in a minute.

Fact is: Most of them are veterans, and would really RELISH the fight!

MeThinks only a fool would invade the USA.

Oh, on the argument of HO's with guns taking on tanks and machine guns:
    First, it is perfectly legal to own a machine gun... all one has to do is pay $500 up front, and $200/year... and have a lilly white FBI check.
    Next: Ever hear of gorilla warfare (during WW2, they called it the resistance, now they call it insurgents)... The idea of taking a pot-shot and run/hide. Amazing how much damage a bunch of folks can do.
    Fact is: This country is full of really GUTSY men (and women), that would fight to the end.

Sorry a few of the 'girly-men' (to quote the former governor) do not have a set big enough to defend their country and freedom... I can guarantee those few wimps... in my neck of the woods we WILL remain free; or we will die fighting for it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I agree with Robo on this...

The USA won its independence over 200 years ago with a rag-tag army of farmers that risked their lives for freedom... Around where I live, there are lots of folks that would do it again in a minute.

Fact is: Most of them are veterans, and would really RELISH the fight!

MeThinks only a fool would invade the USA.

Oh, on the argument of HO's with guns taking on tanks and machine guns:
    First, it is perfectly legal to own a machine gun... all one has to do is pay $500 up front, and $200/year... and have a lilly white FBI check.
    Next: Ever hear of gorilla warfare (during WW2, they called it the resistance, now they call it insurgents)... The idea of taking a pot-shot and run/hide. Amazing how much damage a bunch of folks can do.
    Fact is: This country is full of really GUTSY men (and women), that would fight to the end.

Sorry a few of the 'girly-men' (to quote the former governor) do not have a set big enough to defend their country and freedom... I can guarantee those few wimps... in my neck of the woods we WILL remain free; or we will die fighting for it.
    And, those of us who are willing to fight for our freedoms will also gladly protect those girly Americans. Fortunately, girly does not refer only to females, as many American women will be taken up arms just as well.

So, if you girly girls and guys could just try to keep us fed, we will protect you from the bad guys.

Please SPECIFICALLY define 'screw it up'...
    Default on the debt

So who is gonna protect you from foreign issues... and who is gonna protect American interests abroad (which guarantees this high life style we take for granted)... and who is gonna train little spoiled wimps in male clothing into REAL men?

Please SPECIFICALLY address all three, THX.
    The military wasw doing a good joob at 400 billion a year before Bush raised it to the 700 billion a year Obama has maintained.

That's it in a nutshell, you take for granted that we should have unlimited defense spending. But you don't want to defend Seniors and what they have PAID for over their working lives.

Momma and Daddy should do a better job of training junior, just as they should educate him. If they can't do it, sterilize them and abort any unborn children.

Ever hear of Pancho Villa, he attacked from Mexico. We have not been attacked by European powers because of the Atlantic Ocean, you see this obstacle known as distance has been quite protective. i agree we need a strong Navy, but do we realyy need 7 Fleets to police every ocean and continent?

Tell you what Ace... a few weeks ago, I spent the evening with 3 Iraqi journalists... (no, I am not blowing smoke, this really happened). If this thread is still going when I have time... I will write a few paragraphs about it.

One would be surprised what these folks think.
    I talk with the Egyptian and Pakistani people running the local convienence stores, i have a good idea what they want.

The military wasw doing a good joob at 400 billion a year before Bush raised it to the 700 billion a year Obama has maintained.

That's it in a nutshell, you take for granted that we should have unlimited defense spending. But you don't want to defend Seniors and what they have PAID for over their working lives.

Momma and Daddy should do a better job of training junior, just as they should educate him. If they can't do it, sterilize them and abort any unborn children.
    The additional 300 billion is needed to properly instruct military personnel how to accept that the guy next to them in the showers is allowed to leer at them, throw air kisses and stare longingly at their "privates".

Ever hear of Pancho Villa, he attacked from Mexico. We have not been attacked by European powers because of the Atlantic Ocean, you see this obstacle known as distance has been quite protective. i agree we need a strong Navy, but do we realyy need 7 Fleets to police every ocean and continent?
    Thank you for making my point for me mancow. Villa raided the town of Columbus, NM in desperation for supplies. He chose Columbus because it was the "weakest" American town. Even being the weakest of the American towns, Villa was beaten by the Americans because;
    Unfortunately for Villa, the town's garrison consisted of a 330-strong detachment of the 13th Cavalry. In addition, the townspeople were well armed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1916)

I talk with the Egyptian and Pakistani people running the local convienence stores, i have a good idea what they want.
    Yeah and I let a guy stay in my basement who looked White (had a French mother and a Palestinian dad) didn't know that then. My girl friend at the time asked me to help him out since he chased some Mexicans away who attacked her upon leaving a restaurant one night.

He was a big guy and OK at first but then I found out he had a violent streak in him (even fought with the PLO in Beirut and Southern Lebanon) and had to call the cops on him and got him evicted. We did agree on a few things but not much. He did warn that we would regret the day we ever got involved in Iraq (they are crazy and love to kill anybody they don't like).

I guess he really met Muslims in general. He grew up as one but never went to a Mosque as an adult. Just a comment on some past experiences and how I come by my judgements. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Thank you for making my point for me mancow. Villa raided the town of Columbus, NM in desperation for supplies. He chose Columbus because it was the "weakest" American town. Even being the weakest of the American towns, Villa was beaten by the Americans because; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Columbus_(1916)
    Villa never was caught by Pershing. At Columbus, the 13th Calvary is what drove him out, not armed civilians

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast