Thread: Home IAQ???

Home IAQ???

Hi everyone, We recently put new carpet in the house(finally), and tile and a few other things, that were on the honey due list. Since our trade has been so slow, it finally gave me time to do after 20 years.
    But anyway heres my ????
    Because of a cough that hasnt gone away for 2 months what is everyones ideas on home iaq testing
    A doctor told my wife today to rip out our new carpet because it has to be the source. well i feel we have to have away to prove it. Not just their Assumption. plus if my house does have bad air how do I know its from the carpet and not something else as the dr. is just guessing!!!!!
    QA anyway where and what do I look for to completely test my IAQ?

Thanks.

I wouldn't go tearing anything out because of a 2 month cough. I have, many times, had a lingering cough for 2 months or more following a cold. Just depends on where the cold settles in. Anyways, there's not much you could really check for even if it WAS the carpet, other than a full air sample and analysis by a lab. It's not like the typical IAQ analyses are going to show 'carpet stuffs' in your breathing space.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard4mrkts View Post
    Hi everyone, We recently put new carpet in the house(finally), and tile and a few other things, that were on the honey due list. Since our trade has been so slow, it finally gave me time to do after 20 years.
    But anyway heres my ????
    Because of a cough that hasnt gone away for 2 months what is everyones ideas on home iaq testing
    A doctor told my wife today to rip out our new carpet because it has to be the source. well i feel we have to have away to prove it. Not just their Assumption. plus if my house does have bad air how do I know its from the carpet and not something else as the dr. is just guessing!!!!!
    QA anyway where and what do I look for to completely test my IAQ?

Thanks.
    Sensitive occupants are much more sensitive than testers. Most IAQ experts suggest that you have a fresh air change every 5-6 hours to purge the normal indoor pollutants that in a home. With newer materials, more pollutants are present.
    For the price of throurgh testing, get a good make-up ventilation system. It should including air filters and distribution. In climates where the outside dew point is +60^F, include dehumidification as part of system maintain <50%RH inside the space. Low humidity improves comfort and prevents mold and other biological growths, which also generate pollutants. A quick test is to put a small window fan in operation. for a couple days. 50-80 cfm of fresh air continuously when the home is occupied should be start. If it helps, procede.
    If dehumidification is required during the wet times of the year, investigate a whole house ventilating dehumidifier.
    Brands like Ultra-Aire/Honeywell are avialable.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

To-15 test is a typical test that would be done. It will test for vocs. Look at around 525.00 for the test.

Thank you drk, tb, and cf. I agree, I would not tear out my new flooring because of a 2 month cough, But I have to ask the question as posted because it is not me coughing , its my 10 month old son. I did not agree with the pediatritrion dr. when she said this but,,, you know why ,,,with the wife their ,,, I would want to ask. I have asked her to read these reply's so she can read other pro's responses, NOT just mine. And I really dont think its the carpet, I think its a little guy with allergys to what ever, and he just has to get threw it, BUT of course i know i can make our home easier for him. and iam upgraging my hvac and would like more thoughts, of how to suppy fresh air constantly, both heat and cool, with filtering out high allergy particles. Is the Honeywell Electronic Air Purifier still the best choice?? And I have a gas fired heating system and live in northern california, what is my most economical way to control humidity with out a large cost but do the job RIGHT? And I agree I need to supply enough fresh air so the carpet or what ever in the house dosnt matter but I need enough fresh air filtration to cover the pollen RICH and DUST filled environment of nor. cal. Thanks. Please let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by Hard4mrkts; 06-05-2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: really bad spelling!!!

Home IAQ???

Home IAQ issues need to be identified and the best product applied. Seldom does one product cover all the bases. Prioritize and get the best bang for your buck.
    For odors, VOCs (like carpet offgassing), or excessive winter humidity; or if the issues are reduced when the child goes outside, for year round ventilation, an ERV would be best.
    For airborne particulates (dust) or filtration of air, a good pleated (preferably "accordian" 4-6") filter is best, and run the air handler constantly or frequently to utilize it. For excessive summer humidity, a dehumidifier is the ticket, or properly sized, dual stage A/C if replacing.

thanks Drippy, I agree, my Family is on vacation right know (Im home suporting that) and we have found that a different climate has cleared his cough, yes in trouble shooting this cough we have tried staying at grandmas house (down the street) for a long weekend and found no differnce (cough stayed the same). Im hesitent to bring him home and test if cough comes right back. Iam looking for any help to figure out what erv and electronic air filter to use. I am wanting to upgrade before their return. Thanks

Home IAQ???

Look at RenewAire ERVs. They have produced residential and commercial ERVs for @ 30 years in Wisconsin. There are several sizes, are HVI rated, on the high end of efficiency ratings, have MERV 8 filters and are easily installed. I have installed @ a dozen of them and own 2. Look at AprilAire pleated, electronic filters, or something that is low maintenance.

In northern Cal, you may not need an ERV. Start with a small fan in a window blowing 100 cfm of fresh air into the home. See how that works. In your climate an ERV will never payback unless you are cold/wet for many months of the year.
    An air change in 4-5 hours and <50%RH is the starting point. ERV-dehu depends on the heating/cooling/<50%RH. There is another excellent ERV, check the HVI listings. It more efficient.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Thanks T.B. and all who have added. any more thoughts are appreciated. Iam thinking it will be cheaper posible to do a ERV then leave a window open in this neighborhood. that might be my pay back time line . Thank you, You have helped. Know I just have to get er done.