Is there any way
    to easily convert the heat from a wood burner insert into a hot water coil and put the coil in the return of my furnace, any manufactured appliances that do this ?

What are the pro's and con's of it if they are available, running the pipes between them is not a concern.

Most wodd inserts are engineered appliances, and manufacturers specifically warn people against making modifications in them. If you do, you are saying that you are smarter than the manufacturers who build them, and you may lose insurance coverage in the event of a fire, pressure vessel explosion or other problem.

Unless the manufacturer offers a kit to modify your insert, I would recommend against any such modification.

You already are building a fire in your house. Insurance rates confirm that fireplaces and such add materially to the risk of a house fire. Adding the additional risk of a pressure vessel explosion doesn't seem worthhile to me.

Seattle Pioneer

Most wood inserts are engineered appliances, and manufacturers specifically warn people against making modifications in them. If you do, you are saying that you are smarter than the manufacturers who build them, and you may lose insurance coverage in the event of a fire, pressure vessel explosion or other problem.

Unless the manufacturer offers a kit to modify your insert, I would recommend against any such modification.

You already are building a fire in your house. Insurance rates confirm that fireplaces and such add materially to the risk of a house fire. Adding the additional risk of a pressure vessel explosion doesn't seem worthhile to me.

Seattle Pioneer

It would have proper relief valves in system. I just need to know if there is a system out there to do it easily,This is my first wood burner and it just seems like such a waste of heat to not use it. I figure if I can get the heat transferred to a HW coil then I can use it in the air handler.I will have a pretty elaborate DDC system setup for the operation , I just don't know much about the fireplace end of it. botoom line is I have four acres of wood and a woodburner, I don't want to pay for nat gas.

I'm thinking combo = heat pump, gas furnace, woodburner to HWcoil, anyone ever done this ?

What type of exchanger do I need ?

Insurance is not a concern,

[Edited by gruvn on 09-05-2005 at 05:59 PM]

I used to work with a guy who built a system like this. He had a "heat exchanger" welded out of steel pipe that he installed in the fire place and ran pipe to a coil in the duct system. I did not learn many details of how he built it, but do remember that he was pleased with how it worked.

Thanks,

I was thining somethng like that maybe just some stell pipes right into the fire ( no water) but connected to an assembly that carries water measure the temp of water and speed the pump up or down as needed. Pipe it back to a coil in the return and make it the heat source when available.

Pacific Energy made a wood stove with a factory water coil. It was designed to be piped into a range boiler as a preheat before going into your domestic water heater. The limitation was I believe it would only produce about 5000 btu's, so piping that into an airstream wouldn't even give you luke warm air.
    Secondly and more important, the option was discontinued as it would not pass EPA clean burning regs.
    Buy a wood boiler and do it right.

EXACTLY,

They make wood boilers ?

Thats what I want, where do I get it ?

Lot of wood boilers out there, plus the abortion outdoor ones.

Benjamin makes an indoor wood one
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Benjamin makes a great one, but I believe it was designed as an add-on to an existing oil boiler.