I see him posting how he is already putting the 'be prepared' bug in the ears of those who represent him. Everyone should take a lesson from New Orleans and do so as well.

What you are seeing in the gulf coast and New Orleans, could happen almost anywhere in coastal North America.

Nova Scotia, Canada has been hit with two hurricanes in the last 5 years. Hurricane Hazel hit Toronto 51 years ago.

http://i4weather.net/hazel.html

The Bay of Fundy, has the highest tides in the world because it is a funnel.

A storm going up the Chesapeake could have even bigger surges than the gulf coast as it is a funnel too.

The 'Ring of Fire' in the pacific could generate tsunamis at any time. A best case scenario with a tsunami is a couple hours notice compared to a couple days notice with a hurricane.

If you see a punch coming you can brace yourself, where as a sucker punch can drop you like a sack of potatoes.

It is easy to prepare to take a hit and to survive that hit, but no one is prepared for a prolonged aftermath.

Again, maybe some good can come out of all of this in that other areas can start preparing and have plans in place ahead of time.

[Edited by Carnak on 09-04-2005 at 07:02 PM]
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Good Post, I am prepared for a week worth.

Being prepared mean just as much about what not to take. I have seen people leaving with toasters and box fans. I have seen them towing cars that looked like they were worth $50. The Senators lunch with me saturday and what we talked about ( we eat lunch all the time) may end up in legislation. My idea with valuable input from him ( he use to work for me) is to make it mandatory by law that coastal counties submit a evacuation plan and transfer of resources such as school buses, schools, public works vehicles to the effort of evacuation and recovery. The bill, if it makes it that far will be called "The New Orleans Initiative" In the plan is a buddy system that incorporates citizens checking on their neighbors and the elderly. Kind of a "no old person left behind" thing.

excellent idea. One thing my dad taught me was always learn from mistakes. Whether it be your own or others. This is a mistake that we all can learn from. So was Sept. 11th, and the Tsunami. Disasters of any kind teach us that we are all vulnerable and we better be prepared for the worst. We also need to learn to not be selfish.

You should always have yourself prepared. I am talking about your community, state being prepared. What to do when the worst case happens.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

Like I said before, I'm ready.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I actually don't mind having to leave every now and then. And I am not one of those people that won't because of a false alarm. Besides...it's about the only vacation I get.

What about your weekend honeymoons to the island?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Carnak
    I see him posting how he is already putting the 'be prepared' bug in the ears of those who represent him. Everyone should take a lesson from New Orleans and do so as well.

What you are seeing in the gulf coast and New Orleans, could happen almost anywhere in coastal North America.

http://i4weather.net/hazel.html

The Bay of Fundy, has the highest tides in the world because it is a funnel.

A storm going up the Chesapeake could have even bigger surges than the gulf coast as it is a funnel too.

[Edited by Carnak on 09-04-2005 at 07:02 PM]

Then you read things like this (below) and wonder how the hell any country could recover from such a calamity? Let alone prepare for it. Stop building on the coasts? Sea levels are rising and may be 2-4' higher in the next 50 yrs.

CANARY ISLANDS
    Geological evidence suggests that during a future eruption, Cumbre Vieja Volcano on the island of La Palma in the Canary Islands, off West Africa, could experience a catastrophic failure of the western flank, according to Simon Day, of the Benfield Greig Hazard Research Center at University College London, U.K.

His model showed that the collapse would drop an enormous chunk of rock into the sea, kicking up huge walls of water.

The mega-tsunami would hit with immense waves the African coast, Spain, Portugal and France, the U.K., Brazil and the Carribean.

Cumbre Vieja last exploded in 1971. The volcano typically erupts at intervals of between 20 and 200 years.

Florida and the Caribbean, the final north Atlantic destinations to be affected by the tsunami, would have to brace themselves for 165-foot waves some eight to nine hours after the landslide.

Ophelia is about to hit Nova Scotia Canada. Two hurricanes and a tropical storm hit in maybe 5 years.

Tropical Depression EIGHTEEN Public Advisory
    Home Public Adv Fcst/Adv Discussion Strike Probs Wind Probs Maps/Charts Archive

US Watch/Warning

WTNT33 KNHC 181440
    TCPAT3
    BULLETIN
    TROPICAL DEPRESSION EIGHTEEN ADVISORY NUMBER 3
    NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
    11 AM EDT SUN SEP 18 2005

Surprised you are not on the armchair fema thread, about 3 days or so to a strike on the texas coast