+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I HATE DIY...

Post Likes
    Especially when it is me trying to do some routine vehicle maintenance.

My Dodge Dakota developed a serious leak in the power steering system so I decided to use the long weekend to track down the leak and while I was at it I decided to change the oil and the tranny fluid.

The transmission was running fine, but I do have over 170,000 miles on this thing and it has never had the transmission fluid or filters changed.

So, I finish changing the oil, oil filter, tranny fluid and the two filters that go with it and even find the source of my power steering fluid leak. It seems that when the Dodge dealership changed out the upper ball joints because of a national recall, they did not properly seperate and secure the tranny fluid lines and the power steering fluid crossover line. There is a hole worn in the power steering fluid line from the tranny line rubbing it.

OK, I can deal with that later. I finished up everthing else and go to back out of the work spot I created because my truck was overhanging a wall that made it easier for me to work. Lo and behold...no tranny. NOTHING HAPPENS.

I had put this thing into 4WD to pull up on this wall just in case something gave way I could back out quickly. So, I'm thinking I jammed the 4WD transfer case or something.

So; I call my brother who has worked with cars all of his life and is a service manager for a dealership too far from me to be practible. He could not think of what could have happened either so he calls one of his service techs who used to work for a Dodge dealership.

Problem solved. Seems that an O-ring on the new filter has problems seating and causes this issue with Dodge trucks. The guy knew what it was right off before my brother could even finish telling him what was going on. THERE IS NOT ONE DAMNED WORK ABOUT THAT O-RING IN THE INSTRUCTIONS!

So, guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Playing with yourself?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by James 3528
    Playing with yourself?
    For all the good my work on the tranny did today, I would have been a lot better off had I done that today.

I am not even sure if I will be able to move tomorrow. I am not used to crawling under vehicles.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq

I am not even sure if I will be able to move tomorrow.
    At 54 years old I use to say that everyday until I discovered Celebrex I can pick up condensers with no pain, now if I could only pick up the old lady with no pain, I think that would require morphine
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    What year Dakota? Was the balljoint recall on Dakota's only? Just wonderin cause I have a 2001 Dodge Ram pick-up.

Post Likes
    It's funny how the older we get the more we understand about pain and the drugs that help us deal with it.

What they don't tell you about is the trade off. No pain now may mean kidney damage later.

Over the past few years I have learned a lot about back pain and the surgical adaptations.

Here is what I have learned

ughhhhh, NO, NO... I am OK.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by 2hot2coolme
    What year Dakota? Was the balljoint recall on Dakota's only? Just wonderin cause I have a 2001 Dodge Ram pick-up.
    2000 Dakota Quad.

There were several recalls that were taken care of while it was in. The recall for the ball joints is 02D47182 D47 ball joint
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Whoa!!

Is that wall going to hold that weight on it? hehe

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mayguy
    Whoa!!

Is that wall going to hold that weight on it? hehe
    That wall has been there for nearly two hundred years. My truck did not affect it in the least. My leaning on it was a different story though

That was the best way I could figure to somewhat gracefully get under the truck to do all that I needed to do.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Looks like you have a nice little "Pit" set-up there. Looks a little dangerous though.

Post Likes
    Is that lift OSHA approved?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Holy crap does that look shakey!!!

Post Likes
    two things:

Were you able to get the fluid out of the converter? I thought a complete changeout of tranny fluid had to be done with a machine. Kinda like pulling a vacuum?

Ah, the cement block is a widow maker. I got a solid wood block about that size or a bit larger. Kids ask why I keep it. It's due to support a m.c. soon to fix a flat. Got wheel chocks? Auto stores have nice collasapsible ones pretty cheap.

Post Likes
    THERE IS NOT ONE DAMNED word ABOUT THAT O-RING IN THE INSTRUCTIONS!

If you have to read the instructions......ok , I wont say it

Dodge didnt tell you about the weak ball joints for quite awile either, well untill people started loosing the front wheels anyway.

Did they increase the size of the new ball joints or just improve the size that was already in there

Post Likes
    Just wonderin cause I have a 2001 Dodge Ram pick-up.
    I have a 01' 4X4 1500 series. There's been a lot of complaints concerning the ball joints on the recall site but nothings been done yet.

Robo, That looks seriously dangerous. Maybe not as bad as it looks but look at that picture and imagine it was somebody else. What would you say to them.

Considering this was the last time you worked on your truck...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mattm
    Just wonderin cause I have a 2001 Dodge Ram pick-up.
    I have a 01' 4X4 1500 series. There's been a lot of complaints concerning the ball joints on the recall site but nothings been done yet.

Robo, That looks seriously dangerous. Maybe not as bad as it looks but look at that picture and imagine it was somebody else. What would you say to them.

Considering this was the last time you worked on your truck...

See, that guy chocked his wheel.

Post Likes
    Ya should have called a pro, are there any pros in Hooterville?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes
    What can I say? I like to live on the edge

Between the floor jack and the cinder block I figured if I was to be crushed it was meant to be.

Dodge says to "not" pull the fluid from the converter.

Yes, there are pros here on the outskirts of Hooterville, but these services are really expensive here and you have to make an appointment 5 days in advance for anything. I figured this was a routine maintenance job. That's what it says in the vehicle manual.

Don't know what the differences are in the ball joints but there are a lot of new parts on that front end. There were three recalls in all according to the Dodge dealer service manager.

Oh, I don't feel as bad as I thought I would. Must be in better shape then I thought
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    at 170k miles on that trans fluid it might be the only thing keeping the trans together. slip your tire UNDER the truck and buy some jack stands, you cheap ass. if you die NOBODY will defend Goodman on here.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    I figured this was a routine maintenance job. That's what it says in the vehicle manual.
    How many times have we heard that when we arrived at the customers house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in