+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniforms, names etc

Post Likes
    What is it with companies putting our names on our shirts, What exactly is the reason behind it?
    the company logo I can understand but our name?
    personally I find it demeaning, I can say my name I can wear a company ID tag but the name sewen in the shirt? I think its a bit much
    I find it demeaning, At least with a removable name tag you can take it off when at lunch or stopping at the store on the way home

Whats the point of it? I can hand out business cards so why the name?
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Pen: let me turn the tables somewhat. Why do you find it demeaning? Do you think the sales clerks in department stores find it demeaning that they have to wear name tags? Do you think the waitress at the counter finds it demeaning? Do you think the officer on the beat finds it demeaning? I'm not quite sure what you find 'demeaning' about it. Gee I wonder if Michael found it demeaning when the Bulls put his name on his shirt? Help me out here.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Post Likes
    I never liked having my name on my shirt either. In the Army it was one thing, but on the outside I see no reason for my name to be on my shirt. If I wanted everyone to know my name I'd tattoo it on my forehead.

Post Likes
    I put my name on my shirts upside down so when I forget it, I can just look at my shirt to remind me what it is.

Doing a TV commercial for my contracting company, I bought my son and I new shirts to where for the occasion. We waited till we were at the studio before putting them on, my son gave me mine as we went into the studio.

After coming out of the bathroom where I put on my shiny new work shirt with company logo and personal name, a woman from the studio called me Eric and said they were ready for us. I told her my name was not Eric, but it was really a coincidence because my son's name was Eric and he was also going to be in the commercial.

I was thinking we were having a psychic moment when she pointed to my shirt and said; "your name tag says that you are Eric." The little jerk got our shirts mixed up.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Why not have the name tag. Did you ever look at a name tag on the wait person, do you always remember their names.

Everybody likes to have the other person use their name.

If it bothers you ask the boss if you can take it off.

Post Likes
    Tell them that you like to go by your nick name "underpaid", and ask them if they will put "underpaid" on the shirt.

Post Likes
    If that's the only complaint I could think of about work and the company(s) I work for and have worked for I would be very very happy.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

Post Likes
    "I'm paid weakly"

Post Likes
    I would hate to do service or install work with a name tag on

I would much rather have it on the shirt that way it does not get in the way

and you should think of it as a compliment because if they spent the money to have it put there you know you are worth something

Post Likes
    Demeaning?

I really see no problem with it, kinda surprised so many of you do.

Oh well
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Post Likes
    We all have said why is there no respect for the trades from people out theere
    this to me having my name stitched on the shirt and not removable means oh well I don't know how to put it but it bugs me.
    Most other professions have a removable name tag Eg: the hotel industry. retail etc.
    I think this is part of the respect issue How can you respect a guy whom has his name sewen on his shirt.

I was kind of getting at WHY a company does this, what is the reason behind it? Is it just because all of the other companies do it in the area is it because its automatic and it has always been done that way?

I am proud to waer the company logo on the shirt but my name on the shirt is too much a clip on ID tag should do the trick and business cards should be sufficent
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Post Likes
    Its just so customers know your name, you goin too deep...
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Post Likes
    Its because of all those scummy garage guys you see in movies......with their name stiched on their shirt

You could have Mr. Xxxxx stiched on , or MHVAC Xxxx, or studmuffin....
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Originally posted by The Penguin
    We all have said why is there no respect for the trades from people out theere
    this to me having my name stitched on the shirt and not removable means oh well I don't know how to put it but it bugs me.
    Most other professions have a removable name tag Eg: the hotel industry. retail etc.
    I think this is part of the respect issue How can you respect a guy whom has his name sewen on his shirt.

I was kind of getting at WHY a company does this, what is the reason behind it? Is it just because all of the other companies do it in the area is it because its automatic and it has always been done that way?

I am proud to waer the company logo on the shirt but my name on the shirt is too much a clip on ID tag should do the trick and business cards should be sufficent
    Ummmmm. I guess I don't get it. What makes a sewn on name tag disrespectful? Why can't you respect other people with them? ALl mechanics, military,and most tradesman have them.

You do know that a pinned on name tag would not last a month. First you have to take it off and put on every day. Then it gets caught everytime you lift/move something. They get broke/lost all the time. The employer has to trust the guys are wearing them and not leaving them in the truck or at home.

Post Likes
    I don't care for name tags on shirts either. That was the 1st thing eliminated from our uniforms when we got new ones after our new boss came aboard. I don't know why I don't like them. Maybe it is something from child hood. I think I'll seek therapy.

Bad side is when someone wants to say something nice about you or ask for a specific tech to come back they say "The fat guy with glasses worked on it last and he knows the problem, can you send him back ??"

Post Likes
    thanks for the replies guys
    I was wanting to hear from owners/bosses their reasoning behind it as I cannot see a really good reason for it my self.

Post Likes
    I dont really see anything demeaning about it. As a business owner (very small hvac co)...I think it shows the employee that they are there for the long haul. I mean it costs money to have things embroidered. Not wanting to sound cheap, but every penny counts. But on the other hand, our company shirts are lightweight tees, with the logo on the front and a large logo on the back. The only reason for that is on a jobsite, people who are looking for the hvac guys can find us easy. And the more you get the name out the better. Heck there is a plumbing company that has the guys names on the side of the van, depending on which side of the van they sit on. Personally I find that kind of weird...."Hey thats Bubba, driving that van!"

Post Likes
    Why they called him John Doe? Probably because the poor fellow had no name tag on his shirt.

Post Likes
    Duct tape comes in all colors. Cover your name tag on the jobs you don't like in case they ask for you. Also steal a coworkers shirt so you can wear that one on the cluterf@%K jobs that you know someone will have to return to. That way the customer will say so and so was here and he never fixed it right.

Post Likes
    feel like a little boyscout ????

I dont like it myself.
    Don't interrupt me while i'm talking to myself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in