Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by The Penguin
    We all have said why is there no respect for the trades from people out theere
    this to me having my name stitched on the shirt and not removable means oh well I don't know how to put it but it bugs me.
    Most other professions have a removable name tag Eg: the hotel industry. retail etc.
    I think this is part of the respect issue How can you respect a guy whom has his name sewen on his shirt.

I was kind of getting at WHY a company does this, what is the reason behind it? Is it just because all of the other companies do it in the area is it because its automatic and it has always been done that way?

I am proud to waer the company logo on the shirt but my name on the shirt is too much a clip on ID tag should do the trick and business cards should be sufficent
    Ummmmm. I guess I don't get it. What makes a sewn on name tag disrespectful? Why can't you respect other people with them? ALl mechanics, military,and most tradesman have them.

You do know that a pinned on name tag would not last a month. First you have to take it off and put on every day. Then it gets caught everytime you lift/move something. They get broke/lost all the time. The employer has to trust the guys are wearing them and not leaving them in the truck or at home.

I don't care for name tags on shirts either. That was the 1st thing eliminated from our uniforms when we got new ones after our new boss came aboard. I don't know why I don't like them. Maybe it is something from child hood. I think I'll seek therapy.

Bad side is when someone wants to say something nice about you or ask for a specific tech to come back they say "The fat guy with glasses worked on it last and he knows the problem, can you send him back ??"

thanks for the replies guys
    I was wanting to hear from owners/bosses their reasoning behind it as I cannot see a really good reason for it my self.
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I dont really see anything demeaning about it. As a business owner (very small hvac co)...I think it shows the employee that they are there for the long haul. I mean it costs money to have things embroidered. Not wanting to sound cheap, but every penny counts. But on the other hand, our company shirts are lightweight tees, with the logo on the front and a large logo on the back. The only reason for that is on a jobsite, people who are looking for the hvac guys can find us easy. And the more you get the name out the better. Heck there is a plumbing company that has the guys names on the side of the van, depending on which side of the van they sit on. Personally I find that kind of weird...."Hey thats Bubba, driving that van!"

Why they called him John Doe? Probably because the poor fellow had no name tag on his shirt.

Duct tape comes in all colors. Cover your name tag on the jobs you don't like in case they ask for you. Also steal a coworkers shirt so you can wear that one on the cluterf@%K jobs that you know someone will have to return to. That way the customer will say so and so was here and he never fixed it right.

feel like a little boyscout ????

I dont like it myself.
    Don't interrupt me while i'm talking to myself

why do they put our names on our work shirts? so the guy at the deli or pizzaria can say hey whats up vic what can i get you?

It should be a universal law that everyone wears a name tag. How many times have you introduced yourself to someone only to have them ask a few minutes later, "What did you say your name was?"

As for the business side, removable name tags would be great. That way when I stop for a beer on the way home in the company truck, or to do a side job, I can change switch the name tag. :-)

I have names printd on my uniform shirts so that the customer can feel a little more comfortable - They know who it is that is working on their equipment, and they will usually look at the tag & then call me by name. It makes the job seem more personal.

Richard

I think everyone should just put the name NATE on their shirts then you could kill two birds with one stone.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I hate name tags! I have company names put on T-shirts and dress shirts and that is about it. You never know what tricks people will play with your name now a days. The only name tag I did not mind was when US AIRFORCE was on the other side of the shirt.

Originally posted by blue_r1
    why do they put our names on our work shirts? so the guy at the deli or pizzaria can say hey whats up vic what can i get you?
    This is all the reason we need to have. For no other reason, this makes sense as to why we should all have our names sewn on our shirts.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast