Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compassion

Joey, I think you missed James' point.

The mayor of NO is slamming W for not reacting with lightning speed. Had the mayor the insight that he says W should have, he would have evacuated all those people on those busses 2 to 3 days before expected landfall.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    Joey,

Listen, I have respect for you, and listen if we don't agree with this, so what. I think we can find solid ground on superheat and subcooling right?

That said, just about where are you located and did you get whallopped. I mean as a guy in the biz down there, when you do get the chance to start remaking New Orleans, boy your going to be busy. Have you, your coworkers or fellow techs thought about that yet.

I beleive this place will be redone and it will be better than ever.
    Dow, We are not looking for a handout, I have no bad feelings against you are James, my feelings in the first post I made since having power is here

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=83635

There is alot of misinformation going on, on Thursday all hell broke lose in Baton Rouge because refugees from NO had supposedly set fires to various stores, were running through the streets carjacking people, supposed multiple stabbings, shootings, and rapes, and it was all lies.

I just ask that if someone is there please give credence to what they are saying, news media will do whatever it can to increase ratings, even if that means showing the same group of fools doing the same stupid things again and again.

The following is not me but all about God, Im just giving everyone the account. I had the pleasure last nite(our church has become a shelter) to be there and serve people that were pulled out of that destruction with no food and water, for them to shower, change out of their clothes they have been wearing since Monday, eat, be with people that love them, and then go to sleep in a bed for the first time this week. I was able to serve doctors and nurses from the charity hospital in NO that fought to keep people alive when there was no electricity or water, that watched people die, I saw them last nite cry from the second they stepped off the bus until the time they left, God used me and my church to minister to these people and we will keep on doing it.

Whose to blame? This is where it gets foggy, everyone from federal to local top to bottom for the past 100 years knew what could happen to N.O. but no one ever ever stepped forth to do anything about it, now I have seen the children and the elderly that paid the price for their ignorance.

Do we have corrupt officails, yes we do, and just like the looters that is what is always portrayed in Louisiana, unfortunately when we do have many officials that have the peoples intrest in mind first.

We just ask for understanding, these people did not ask to live like animals, many are so poor they own no vehicle, it doesnt matter if they are poor because of their choosing or because of some horrible circumstance, all that matters is that they are still human beings and they are still Americans.

Joey
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Dow, when you posted your other post I was typing at same time and couldnt get mind to delete, I will point you to my post before this one, forget the deleted post was ever posted please.

Originally posted by bootlen
    Joey, I think you missed James' point.

The mayor of NO is slamming W for not reacting with lightning speed. Had the mayor the insight that he says W should have, he would have evacuated all those people on those busses 2 to 3 days before expected landfall.
    Ok, I did miss that point, like Ive said in previous posts many people here are not watching tv anymore, so whatever he said she said is going on we are not that aware of, our focus has been to try to help the victims of what has happened.

Right now is not the time to slam each other, its time to work together, to make sure people's lives are saved, the politicians should go back to their bickering when that is accomplished, no matter if the are Dem, Rep, or Ind.

[Edited by joey791 on 09-03-2005 at 04:55 PM]

That's cool, Joey. We understand. If anyone is failing you guys...and the nation...it's the media out to make a buck on your woes. The FCC should shut them down till things have settled down.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Joey,

I have even more respect for you after that post. God Bless you.

Originally posted by joey791
    Originally posted by James 3528

Stare at the picture. Keep saying those busses that could of taken everyone out, not moving was GW's fault. Keep saying that living below sea level with a Hurricane on top of you and staying was GW's fault. I think I did the math yesterday and one line of those buses could of moved 2,050 people in one trip to high ground. And there is no telling how many there are that are not in the picture.
    Yeah and you pretty much stink at math James, Im happy you have a picture of buses you repeatedly post time and time again.

Saturday at 4:00 pm Contraflow was put into effect where all interstate lanes were used for people to leave New Orleans, estimates say there were 1.3 to 1.5 million people if not more in New Orleans when the mandatory evacuation was issued, lets be generous and say that 1 million people had a way to get out of New Orleans, leaving us 500,000, I will also be generous and say they start moving your buses at the same time that contraflow is enacted, as per your math lets say(being generous again), we can move 30,000 people a trip. With Contraflow inacted the closest "safe" place was Baton Rouge which averaged to be a 6 to 12 hour trip from New Orleans, again being generous I will say 4 hours. That gives us 6 trips a day even though the buses cant return because with Contraflow they cant go back to New Orleans, but for your sake we will forget that little detail.

6 trips times 30,000 people is 180,000 people which brings us to 4pm the next day, Sunday, lets be generous again for you James and say while this hurricane is going on(major winds were being felt at midnight Sunday and people really couldnt move around) that the buses are still running full steam, forget the flood waters and everything, James' buses are going through it!!!! The evacuation with James' buses runs through the hurricane, through impassable land until 4pm Monday(after the hurricane), another 180,000 people.

We started off with 500,000 people, thanks to James' little magic buses we were able to get 360,000 people out, that only leaves 140,000 people left stranded.

Thats a good job James keep posting your bus picture
    You get
    A for effort
    C for math
    F for intellegence
    How many people were in the Superdome? My point was that nothing was done. Your point is trying to justify that. You guys have taken the heat off of Florida for not knowing how to vote. At least they know how to leave. Want to run those numbers?

[Edited by James 3528 on 09-03-2005 at 07:06 PM]

Personally Responsibility and community involvement. Forget the government, local, state or federal for failing to evaculate people early. Let's look at community involvement. I commend your church and others for doing what they are, that is community involvement. During times of evacuations here local churches pick up people who can't drive.

Originally posted by workhorse
    Personally Responsibility and community involvement. Forget the government, local, state or federal for failing to evaculate people early. Let's look at community involvement. I commend your church and others for doing what they are, that is community involvement. During times of evacuations here local churches pick up people who can't drive.
    Bingo! That is how you do it, same here....BTW Check your profile where yoo live.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by James 3528
    [B]
    Originally posted by joey791
    Originally posted by James 3528

Stare at the picture. Keep saying those busses that could of taken everyone out, not moving was GW's fault. Keep saying that living below sea level with a Hurricane on top of you and staying was GW's fault. I think I did the math yesterday and one line of those buses could of moved 2,050 people in one trip to high ground. And there is no telling how many there are that are not in the picture.
    Yeah and you pretty much stink at math James, Im happy you have a picture of buses you repeatedly post time and time again.

Saturday at 4:00 pm Contraflow was put into effect where all interstate lanes were used for people to leave New Orleans, estimates say there were 1.3 to 1.5 million people if not more in New Orleans when the mandatory evacuation was issued, lets be generous and say that 1 million people had a way to get out of New Orleans, leaving us 500,000, I will also be generous and say they start moving your buses at the same time that contraflow is enacted, as per your math lets say(being generous again), we can move 30,000 people a trip. With Contraflow inacted the closest "safe" place was Baton Rouge which averaged to be a 6 to 12 hour trip from New Orleans, again being generous I will say 4 hours. That gives us 6 trips a day even though the buses cant return because with Contraflow they cant go back to New Orleans, but for your sake we will forget that little detail.

6 trips times 30,000 people is 180,000 people which brings us to 4pm the next day, Sunday, lets be generous again for you James and say while this hurricane is going on(major winds were being felt at midnight Sunday and people really couldnt move around) that the buses are still running full steam, forget the flood waters and everything, James' buses are going through it!!!! The evacuation with James' buses runs through the hurricane, through impassable land until 4pm Monday(after the hurricane), another 180,000 people.

We started off with 500,000 people, thanks to James' little magic buses we were able to get 360,000 people out, that only leaves 140,000 people left stranded.

Thats a good job James keep posting your bus picture
    You get
    A for effort
    C for math
    F for intellegence
    How many people were in the Superdome? My point was that nothing was done. Your point is trying to justify that. You guys have taken the heat off of Florida for not knowing how to vote. At least they know how to leave. Want to run those numbers?

Yes James many families left together, many people were taken out, with contraflow in place you can leave but you cant get back in, of course if contraflow was not in place the losses would be exponential.

Im not trying to justify nothing being done, Im trying to justify that there are alot of people here making alot of comments when they have no clue what is going on.

No one knows when a hurricane will turn or where it will go, we were at a convention in Mobile, AL and an announcement was made that Saturday that all Louisiana participants should leave, we entered Slidell an hour before Contraflow was instated. The last hurricane that was headed this way, N.O. was evacuated, nothing happened and many people were inconvienced, I have no clue if that had a bearing on the amount of time before the mandatory evacuation was given.

You talk of grouping together, of helping others, look how you are talking about these people you dont even know, look at your perception, yet you wonder why they wouldnt help, unfortunately your attitude is usually in the majority, if you left and 3 people needed a ride you didnt know would you have given them one, I think not.

The people were told to go to the Superdome as a last resort, because of the levee breaches, that was the only choice many had over death.

Nothing was done? A call was sent out for anyone with a boat to help out, a few actually made it in to help HUNDREDS were turned back, but your not hearing that on the news, convoys of privately rented buses tried to enter on different occasions, sometimes they were let in, sometimes they werent, many people tried to walk out of N.O. but were stopped by National Guardsman that fired warning shots over their heads or either turned them around to these "pickup areas" where people stayed for days with no food, no water, and no one ever came to pick them up. We are almost at a week after the Hurricane hit and there are still people sitting on their roofs, that are known and have been known to be there that havent been picked up. As of today the feds took over, telling all the emergency assistance teams as of today to leave and go home(our absolute debt and gratitude to any state and city that sent someone to help, be it a single fireman or a search and resuce team), FEMA is out in full force through food to those that are trapped in place and when asked if the boats will rescue them they are being told we will mark where your at and come back, the same thing they have been told all week, and FYI at the rate they are going it will take FEMA almost 3 weeks to get everyone food, then they have to start at the beginning again.

Your not listening to what I am saying James, I dont care what could have been done, that chance is long gone, but these people deserve to live just like anyone else, and that chance is quickly slipping away, instead of arguing moot points of what could have been done, I am focusing on why nothing is being done now to save these people, everyone can point fingers whereever they want but until the last living person is pulled out it does nothing to help the situation.

We are a part of this country too, if it was anywhere else in the U.S. people would be in an uproar about why nothing is being done, but instead people feel they have the right to judge these people when they dont, that is the point I am trying to justify and these rampant threads on the small percentage of people in N.O. that act like fools will be replaced with "How did this happen" threads which I hope the solution will be found so it never happens nowheres else and so yall will not be talked about like yall so freely feel you have the right to talk about us, when you have no clue what is going on, except for what Fox and CNNs rating biased reports say.

[Edited by joey791 on 09-04-2005 at 02:06 AM]

Joey, The Mayor of New Orleans ran. New Orleans is below sea level. Because of New Orleans not being reactionary and instead being passive many families won't have there mother or father with them this Labor Day. Some like the National Guard member who had his gun taken away inside the Super Dome won't see another Labor Day or his family. This is nothing but a calamity of mistakes made firs by New Orleans and Louisiana. The other things is that this was not a surprise in relationship to the approach of the storm. "Google, Katrina slow moving" and see what you get. Here is a paragraph from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina
    Katrina has been compared with Hurricane Camille in that the hurricane was also an intense Category 5 storm which made landfall in the same general area. Katrina has also drawn comparisons to Hurricane Betsy, because of its similar track and potential effects on New Orleans. In 1965, Betsy struck New Orleans after passing over the Florida Keys, causing over $1.5 billion USD in damage in 1965 (over $9 billion in inflation-adjusted dollars), and the deaths of 75 people, earning it the nickname "Billion Dollar Betsy". However, Betsy was only a fast-moving Category 3 hurricane, limiting its potential for devastation, while Katrina was a massive, slow-moving Category 4 storm.
    Katrina makes the turn after being near Florida for almost a week, was slow moving, was predicted to strengthen when it hit the warm gulf waters and was looking at New Orleans sitting below sea level. I am very aware of the human suffering. I have made a donation and have been working with other business people arranging transportation of supplies to the area and transportation of people wanting to come back to Georgia. Just because people are pissed at the absolute un called for stupidity displayed there by the governing authority does not discount our concern. Just last night I saw film of 30 or so garbage trucks that looked liked they belong to a private company that were placed on high ground to protect them. They were high and dry and it is a little ironic to see those tax payers school buses submerged and damaged by water and unused to evacuate those people.

America is doing more far more after the storm than New Orleans did to make those people there safe before the storm. Fox News and CNN did not make those mistakes. All I have seen is them giving the people a voice that are there and you now telling us their voice is not accurate because we are not. That voice Fox< CNN gave them resulted in America's opening their wallets and giving millions, That voice Fox and CNN gave them motivated a nurse in Boston like thousand more to leave their jobs and travel at their own expense there to help. If there were anything I have seen bias about this it has been your approach to this. New Orleans survived the storm. My morning news paper said that. They forgot they lived below sea level and that slow moving storm filled that lake and brought a reality that had been there for years to their homes. Mistakes were made, America has responded. New Orleans will return but served as a example, a bad example. End of story.

[Edited by JAMES 3528 on 09-04-2005 at 09:21 AM]

joey791

In your calculaction ou forgot to add the 6 to 12 hours it took for the Mayor and his staff to run away and find a place to hide

Very well put James.

A few other points not addressed. The storm made landfall a few days earlier in Florida in where the land was a few feet above sea level and the area still flooded from the storm surge. For as fast as the storm moved through Florida it took 9 lives, no where near what it took there but 9 lives is still serious enough to show this storm wasn't something to mess with. Once Katrina exited the stated of Florida it took the same path as many other storms, some of which James mentioned and the big one he didn't, Andrew in 92. Everybody remembers the devastation that storm left in Florida, but don't forget the devastation that storm left in the Gulf States also. I also remember that several days before the storm made landfall they predicted this storm would become a Cat 5 storm. If not mistaken, it did this 2-3 days before landfall. That should have been plenty of time for people to get out whether poor or not. That was also plenty of time to call for help or for the local, state government to assist in evacuation. In your earlier post you criticized James about the busses. That picture was only one of a few depot of where busses were parked. What about the kid who stole the bus afterwards and made it to safety with 70 others. If the local government made use of the busses they could have evacuated thousands more. You were right they wouldn't have gotten all of them but a good portion and many more lives would have been spared.

Believe me when I say this, we all feel for what is going on right now. Some of us have gone through it before. We uderstand the good being done now by the many, whether it be government or not. Yes we know there were there were mistakes made, some minor and some pretty damn major. I feel the same by having so much negative tv time it may have helped the donations come in and I also agree that we don't see enough of the good being done, though the past couple of days that has changed.

What we have here is a major disaster with lessons learned for the next time. As we know, this won't be the last one as life goes on and hurricanes still come.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12