Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

radiant heat for outside patio

Guys, I'm a GC, not an HVAC guy. My customer has a covered 8 X 16 patio (no walls--it's open to the air) where he and his buddies smoke cigars on poker nights. The slab needs to be re-poured. Could we pack enough radiant heat in the new slab to generate some serious radiant heat for the cigar smokers (we're in southern New England)?

Of course. Does this customer have a lot of money?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Do they sit on the floor to play poker??
    5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions

what is nice is to have a concrete or tile bench and run the radiant in that so you have a warm seat to sit on.

Seriously, it will cost a bit of money to add radiant heat of any type to the new slab you are going to pour. And then you have to be concerned with warming up cement/concrete in cold weather to a warm temp and not get cracks. And on and on.

It all can be done but it's going to cost a good bit of money.

Are you considering electric radiant heat? Or hydronic heat? Each have their own associate expenses especially if the house does not have adequate electrical power to handle the new heaters or if their is no existing hot water boiler and/or one that is already at it's heating limit.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

Are they planning to smoke barefoot?

Don't see how they would really feel the heat if they're outside.

They do have a lot of money.

I too am concerned about a stone cold slab cracking when the heat is turned on.

Part of my question is whether it seems plausible that you could heat up a slab enough to make a real difference when the air temp. was, for example, 30 deg. F.

It would be a lot more effective (and cheaper!) to install a couple of gas patio heaters or an infra-red radiant tube heater. Heating a slab works well inside, outside not so much.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

To me, the infa red heaters are the way to go.

Tell your customer to wear a frickin jacket while he gets his nicotine fix instead of attempting to heat the outdoors.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by freddytrout View Post
    They do have a lot of money.

I too am concerned about a stone cold slab cracking when the heat is turned on.

Part of my question is whether it seems plausible that you could heat up a slab enough to make a real difference when the air temp. was, for example, 30 deg. F.
    It can be done. But the cost to use it is prohibitive. The slab won't warm up in just a few minutes. So they would have to start heating the slab up possibly 2 days before they want to use the patio.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I would recommend minimal floor radiant, THEN use radiant tube heat near the ceiling (if there is room).

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

I would use radiant for snow/ ice removal and infrared for comfort heating.Be sure to allow for drainage of melting snow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast