Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Original EXV looks different than replacement

The original exv looks different than the replacement. Does anyone have a link to the differnet Carrier exv's????

Hey Licensed to Chill

Would like those part numbers if you have them. Also do you have the part numbers for the different EXVs????

Originally posted by hvac-alan
    krogers,

I sent you the attachment via email. I think that I sent it to the correct link. Let me know. According to Carrier it will let you look at all 8 thermistor temperatures without having to put a DC meter on the plug then converting it to a temp by a chart. It also lets you look at the position of the EXV. I will let you know how it works once I get the Model 65 converter. Has anyone done this before?????
    I did not receive it. email klrogers(at)ultimatehvac.com
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

hey guys, i had the same problem with a smaller flowtronic and it was caused by the unit not configuered properly. my unit was configuered for txv's when it should have been for exv's. did you go through the service test for the exv's? hope this helped

hvac-alan,
    what are the full model and serial numbers? Let's confirm that you have the correct controls and EXV's.

klrogers

You should have it now. It is a small DOS program. Looks like it will run on XP, though I have been told to use Windows95.

Thanks Coolfrog:

If you are referring to going through the 42 step quick test and checking settings. I have and it gives me the code for having an EXV. I think it is step 5 and the code for EXV is 1.

The punch out settings I have not checked, but I would think that it would tell me that on the quick test.

John Williams

Hello John:

The Model and Serial number are:

30GT130610KA #4496F38497

I am going back Tuesday to go through the EXV troubleshooting guide that Carrier provides, but wanted to verify that I had the correct EXV----if not, then pumping the unit down and taking off the powerhead would be a waste of time until I got the correct Valve.

No,change in colors for the Exv cable same as old cable. As for your sensors I did the same and still could not believe bad sensors,but if your confindent then go with it..did you check for probalby restricted cores????

Hey ac eagle:

I changed the core driers, I had a 4 degree drop across the drier plus we still had a little water in the system due to the cracked chiller barrell (the sight glass was yellow). I am going to change again on Tuesday. Sight glass is green, but not as green as the other circuit.

I certainly will not rule out the sensors, but like I say, as I was watching the sensors, ie the superheat went over 75 degrees, I would have expected the EXV to open up, but it was closed and the compressor was pulling the system into a vaccum. Same when I had 0 superheat, I would have expected the EXV to close some to raise the superheat, but it did not. The board will allow these conditions to exist for 5 minutes without locking compressor out. The exv did not react to the temperatures that I was seeing. My monitoring system was a little crude because I have to sit there and keep checking the two sensors with a DC volt meter then look at the chart that I photocopied to convert to temperature, so I might have missed some flucuations, but it is my thinking that the EXV should have reacted to the temperatures that I was seeing and it actually reacted the opposite that I would have expected.

Wire colors: I am going to check continuity of the cable and insure that white and brown were reversed, because that is what the last tech did when he changed the cable, he crossed white and brown???

EXV problems on Carrier 30GT Chiller

Originally posted by hvac-alan
    I am the third tech put on this chiller 30GT 130. Problem is that Circuit B shuts off on High Superheat, then sometimes Low Superheat, and occasionally low oil. All sensors are good. Their are two new compressors on Circuit B, New EXV, new chiller barrell. It seems as if the EXV does the opposite that it should. The previous tech told me that the EXV wire colors changed on the new EXV (brown and white??). Going back on Tuesday to run through the Carrier EXV troubleshooting guide. Any further suggestions. I am the junior guy in our shop, would like to find the solution to his growing headache.
    I have had 3 differant parts go bad on this model chiller over a 5 year period. #1 driver board fuse #2 driver board and #3 processor board.. All three times the same diagnostics was just like your discription of problem.

Don Miller

I believe the name of the software you're talking about is Flotronic Manager. It's a DOS program that I run in WIN 98. The beauty is that you're able to see what the microprocessor sees. You may think the setpoint dial set at 45 but when you run FM, you see that the Micro is seeing the setpoint at 38 or 55 or whatever. Your voltage drop might tell you it's seeing 75 degree SH but when you run FM, you might see that it's only seeing 29.

It's a great program and it really helps troubleshoot the chiller. No more guessing. Get the ground loop converter and get connected.
    MMc

Thanks mmc

I havent got the converter yet, but I have the instructions to connect to the J8 plug. Do I hook the converter to my 9 pin serial port???? Where do you connect yours. Also, will this program work with XP, I have opened it in XP and manuvered to the temperature screen, but I am not connected to the microprocessor board.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast