I did a search on this but was unable to locate any information. When brazing a filter dryer what type of brazing material is recommended? If the filter dryer was exposed to too much heat, other than burnt paint, what would be the symptoms?
    The obvious is obvious

Wrap it with wet rags. Braze it with Silphos 15%. I don't know about overheating it,as I keep it as cool as possible, and never had a problem. I imagine the inside would melt, and block the MD,or restrict the drier itself, which could be checked with a temp check across the drier. oh almost forgot...spray the burnt paint spots with a primer to prevent rust-through.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Just a reminder. If you are removing an old dry, don't use a torch to remove the dryer. Cut the dryer out with a tubing cutter. any moisture or other contanments trapped in the dryer, will bre released back into the system by the heat.

not so.

Old filters which were ABsorbant had that prroblem.

But since new driers (for ..oh..'bout thirty years) use ADsorbant.

Besides, you gotta pull a vacuum anyway so cutting or sweating don't matter.

Originally posted by gusm
    not so.

That is not exactly correct. Heating a filter-drier will release the moisture. Read the last paragraph in the following article. But, read the entire article.

http://www.bacharach-training.com/norm/desiccants.htm

i use an actylen with oxygen and 45% solder, and if u do it quick enough it's not even gonna burn a paint, wet rag wont hurt, but must be careful not to get moisture in the system,

Originally posted by gusm
    not so.

There have been instances where people have been severly burned and killed by unsweating on refrigerant lines. Oil gets trapped in the line and erupts when the braze lets go. So be safe and just cut the lines.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

its just plain easier and faster to just cut it out

I haven't discolored a filter / drier from heat in years. Quick brazing I guess. Good thoughts about cutting them out, though. The whole "moisture releasing" thing hadn't occurred to me. I've been doing this since 1989. This web site rules!
    Live for yourself and ask no one to live for you.

Not only does the moisture release in the system... and you say it's no big deal, you have to pull a vacuum anyway...

One other thing to think about is the time you added to your evacuation time to pull the moisture back out!

Always cut them out... I don't understand why you would want to spend more time doing it any other way???