Just in time for winter....

Local gas company just changed out my meter. Said it was part of there standard annual upgrades. (First time Ive seen it done tho) Had new furnace and AC installed in July.

A. Does the meter controll flow? As such, will I need to call out my installer to re-check or calibrate my furnace?

B. Do you think its a ploy by the gas company to keep bankin big heating bills because I had a 92% furnace installed? (Just kidding on this one..)

No, as long as the utility adjusted the regulator on the new meter for the correct "street pressure" your furnace needs no further attention other than it's annual check.

And, no it's not a ploy although your sudden drop in gas usage might have instigated the meter replacement.

Gas meters are to be replaced on a regular maintenance basis. Annual- NO. Yours may just have been on the change out list 'this' year. Ours are done on a 15 year change out rotation; it used to be 10 years. As years go by, many regulators fall out of adjustment just as any mechanical device does. When you are being billed (for example) at 4 oz. and the regulator is delivering 3 oz (and I have seen many much worse situations), you are getting short changed big-time.

Meters, being a mechanical device also can fall out of adjustment- gears can slip or simply wear out. What if your old meter was a non temperature-compensating meter? Depending on outdoor temperatures, you could have been getting short changed. Newer meters are more accurate regardless of temps and pressures- would you rather have a meter set for 60*F accuracy (most non temp-comps were designed for a 60*F reading) or one that reads accurately whether it's cold or hot out?

What if the old regulator was a Fischer 730, for example (OK these are really old, but there are a few out there yet in some systems)? No internal relief- should the reg. fail, the excess pressure would be sent into the house piping. Bad news for your appliance valves and unsafe any way you look at it. During the change out, the reg. was probably tested for lock-up, too- just one more safety check done during a typical meter change. A shut in test was also probably done to verify leakage throughout the house piping network. There are plenty of energy hog homes & businesses out there that the gas company isn't too worried over your furnace upgrade.

They may have even done you a couple of small favors by making sure the pressures are delivered sent to you properly and various safety checks done. If you had an old furnace instead, during relighting they may have found an unsafe condition. Maybe a cracked heat exchanger, corroded flue piping, leaking fittings, these are but a few of the things we do during a typical meter change. Ploy? With all due respect, I think not. Greg

Greg,

When I said "annual upgrades" I was refering to the fact that they change out so many every year..not all of them every year.

....and did you miss the "Just Kidding" part?

Greg was just kidding too..

check your bill... the gas company know you just got a new furnace... they want more cash!

redcell- my apologies. You may well have been kidding but others have the sentiments that they are being singled out for meter changes because they installed a woodstove, cornstove or whatever. When in reality their address just shows up on a service order list and I could care less what they do behind closed doors as long as it's legal and quiet. It's been a long week, short handed (we have a number of guys who went down South to help get power lines and gas infrastructure back on line from that windstorm called Katrina) and I'm just plain tired. That reminds me of a girl I in high school named Katrina- a minister's daughter in fact, quite a whirlwind in her own right you might say. Oh, the memories... that takes me back to when I had hair!

I try not to be controversial on this site, but sometimes get on a soapbox! Then again, maybe you have one of those 'hack-type' gas companies that deserves to get talked about and bashed on this site. Have a great weekend and congratulations on taking steps to save energy. Greg

No apologies needed sir. Our local power company has sent a team down to either NO or Biloxi too. I got no beefs with the rank and file pros who work for the utility companies. They have some crap hours and work in crap conditions. Hats off to all of you who will be trying to fix the messes that storms create.

Now the corperate management of the companies.....

Ill just hold that thought.

Good luck to your friends who are working there.

I would personally want my HVAC Company out to check pressures!

You don't want something going wrong with your NEW furnace. And, who says the new meter is set at the same pressures?

Your furnace pressures need to be checked after any major piping changes or after a gas component replacement!