Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NBC

Oh, okay.

Here's another idea: Why not move to a place that's at least above sea level?
    WHY?

A fact of life, and I'm not really tring to be an *******, but natural disaster have alway controlled population. The people that have survived are luck to alive. Without advance warning they would be all dead.

It's easy to say they should have evacuated, but I supose many didn't think the danger was that great. I do think that if one really wanted to they could have left.

And yes, they do need to get to work and take care of themselves. Stop waiting for help, get busy.

As far as the looters, they are just the bad element that was always present. Just a little more brazen now. I'd say the authorities were outgunned to begin with.

And why would we as a country help rebuild a city under sea level. I can't build a house in a flood plane in Kansas.

Originally posted by lynn rodenmayer
    And why would we as a country help rebuild a city under sea level. I can't build a house in a flood plane in Kansas.

Lynn, you are exactly right! Most communities will not allow a developer to build in a flood area. Why would we allow an entire city to build below sea level? Makes no sense!

It would be easier to rebuild New Orleans a bit further inland.

Since Boulder, Colorado is too high and Nawlins is too low, why not shave off some of Boulder and truck it on down to Nawlins?

Either that or make it mandatory that all citizens own a house boat.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

James

I can see taking some time to get the national guard mobilized. This does seem like one of THE intended tasks for the National Guard.

I do not want to stir things up, and I am asking this question because I do not know. Is it against the law just to send in the regular armed forces? Is there a procedure that has to be followed, like a governor requesting it?

As you know I am on an island. We were hit hard by a Category 5 storm here. About 6 hours before the storm hit, a State of Emergency was declared. What that means is British War Ships have to respond.

The storm hit us late Saturday, it was slow moving, pounded us for 36 hours. By the following Tuesday you could see the Royal Navy ships, except it was too rough to anchor. Helicopters were flying in the Royal Marines.

The situation here was dire, but no where near what is going on in New Orleans. I cannot feel sorry for myself anymore, as I can see now how worse off I could have been.

Just knowing that the Royal Navy was on the way gave us a lot of hope. They were only here for a few days, but by that time, most of the cops had taken care of their own and were reporting back for duty. That has to be happening in New Orleans as well.

They helped maintain order, gave us tetnus vaccines, tarps and some other supplies and were gone in a few days, but it made a difference, kept things from getting out of hand.

We had a curfew imposed immediately and it gave them reason to lock up any riff raff on the spot. The curfew was on for a couple months, basically till you could get the place lit up at night.

I guess the long winded point is, I know a city flooded can make it hard and isolate people, but we were on an island and we had a miltary presence, landed pretty quick.

Desparate situations need quick action.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Since Boulder, Colorado is too high and Nawlins is too low, why not shave off some of Boulder and truck it on down to Nawlins?

Either that or make it mandatory that all citizens own a house boat.
    They were interviewing a former NO city planner.

A comment was years ago an idea of forcing everyone out in the low areas and then bringing in a lot of fill was out of the question, a prime chance to do it now but going to be very costly.

Watched another show how LA is losing 25 square miles of delta and marshland each year due to the levy system preventing the delta floods which deposit silt. Soon NO will be right on the gulf.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Originally posted by Carnak
    James

I can see taking some time to get the national guard mobilized. This does seem like one of THE intended tasks for the National Guard.

I do not want to stir things up, and I am asking this question because I do not know. Is it against the law just to send in the regular armed forces? Is there a procedure that has to be followed, like a governor requesting it?

As you know I am on an island. We were hit hard by a Category 5 storm here. About 6 hours before the storm hit, a State of Emergency was declared. What that means is British War Ships have to respond.

The storm hit us late Saturday, it was slow moving, pounded us for 36 hours. By the following Tuesday you could see the Royal Navy ships, except it was too rough to anchor. Helicopters were flying in the Royal Marines.

The situation here was dire, but no where near what is going on in New Orleans. I cannot feel sorry for myself anymore, as I can see now how worse off I could have been.

Just knowing that the Royal Navy was on the way gave us a lot of hope. They were only here for a few days, but by that time, most of the cops had taken care of their own and were reporting back for duty. That has to be happening in New Orleans as well.

They helped maintain order, gave us tetnus vaccines, tarps and some other supplies and were gone in a few days, but it made a difference, kept things from getting out of hand.

We had a curfew imposed immediately and it gave them reason to lock up any riff raff on the spot. The curfew was on for a couple months, basically till you could get the place lit up at night.

I guess the long winded point is, I know a city flooded can make it hard and isolate people, but we were on an island and we had a miltary presence, landed pretty quick.

Desparate situations need quick action.
    Constitutionally the US Armed forces can not arrest US Citizens unless a declaration of Marshall law has been made. The mission of the US Armed forces is not a domestic one until they are asked for. The mission of the National Guard is unless the President activates them for another one. The Guard moves 2 ways. First is called "the call" The call can be a phone call or the sheriff or another guard member knocking on your door. The second is called "the order" The order is a written document. The call or the order can come in 2 directions. The Governor or the President. The Presidential order puts you on active duty with the US Armed Forces in a Federal mission for example Iraq. If the Governor calls you, then you are simply a National Guardsman and your duties do not extend past the state.

Stupid people being stupid.

They already built one levy and it was made of cards. They knew that it is a vunerable area and the still built there more. (They actually blew a hole in it deliberately in 1927-not sure of the exact date).
    They plead for money for the levy, but spent, what was it, 60 million on the Superdome? They plead for us to come get them but their school busses are lined up like the planes at Pearl Harbor. The roads they could have got out on are flooded or otherwise impassable and now the rest of the country is slow to get to them? I can see the lady who the the MRE away after her and her child went "3" days without food now *****in how a school bus ain't good enough.
    The mayor with a town with crime in good times 10x the national average and schools below par bithin about the president-he, the mayor, should be shot!
    Then comes Jessie Jackson, always looking for a fire to throw gas on. Did anyone see him dodge the hard questions and somehow turn it around to completely a race issue?
    Americans have already donated nearly as much as they did for the Tsunani, as of Sat.am. It would probably be more if it weren't for the idiot on NBC's (News Bastardized Continuously) fundraiser last night. Our family has contributed and so has the company and we will do more. But I still belong to the US of A and hate to see the efforts of the country, public and private, to help people be spit on.
    New Orleans isn't the only place hurt by the Hurricane but may be the only one to have put chalk on the cue stick after putting itself behind the 8-ball.

[Edited by Stamas on 09-03-2005 at 11:07 AM]

Watched another show how LA is losing 25 square miles of delta and marshland each year due to the levy system preventing the delta floods which deposit silt. Soon NO will be right on the gulf. [/B]
    Bush is the one who changed the laws on the wetlands, put them open for developement, ya know, screw the environment, lets get more business going in there.......
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Don't be such an idiot Dice...New Orleans has been a problem since way before President Bush was even born.

Stamas is right, unfortunately. New Orleans itself has created and continues to create most of its problems. The corruption and crime there are legendary. Hell, even the movie "Hard Target" portrays the benefits to the lawless because of the lawlessness of New Orleans.

I too support doing as much as we can to help those in need in New Orleans. Unfortunately there are so many in that area that have been spoon fed Federal programs that have made them lazy dependents on others taking care of them to the point they don't know how to and are unwilling to take care of themselves.

There is so much neglected oportunities that would have prevented the current state of affairs in New Orleans it just makes rational people sick. No, no one wants to see others suffer, but for crying out loud; when you throw someone a rope and all they do is pull you down harder then you can pull them up, there comes a time when you have to say; DAMNIT YOU LAZY BASTARD, DO SOME OF THE CLIMBING YOURSELF!

The only thing more sickening then those of New Orleans that are wallowing in their self inflicted self pity are the dispicable vultures that are using this disaster to promote their political and/or racial agendas.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by Diceman

Watched another show how LA is losing 25 square miles of delta and marshland each year due to the levy system preventing the delta floods which deposit silt. Soon NO will be right on the gulf.
    Bush is the one who changed the laws on the wetlands, put them open for developement, ya know, screw the environment, lets get more business going in there....... [/B]

Yes Donor, Bush by creating the Mississippi delta region a million years ago caused the problem. No wetlands are being built on.

We should bulldoze Pittsburgh and give that back to the Indians. It sucks anyway.

I see Boyd beat me to it in calling you a moron.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast