Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Lightbulb

rayr - Thats why I said start at the bottom as an installers helper... They are not gonna put a meter or a set of gauges in the hands of a beginner... Thats how I came up... Fact of the matter is that you can't beat real world experence .... and in a since you are in school as you lean you progress and move up in the trade and you are only limited by what you are willing to learn... Any I fully agree with your signature, It depends on how hungry they are to learn... Class is not the end all be all it just shows you how to locate the answers, and if you fall in with a good company and you have a good head on your shoulders you will do fine, I stand you can't beat real world experence and I will agree to disagree with a lot of folks on that matter...
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceneck View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I take the test for the UA Local in early July.

It will be hard for me to bite the (financial) bullet of going to school...especially since I've already read several textbooks they use. However, I do like school and learn quickly. I have theory down pat, but I don't know things like how to braze, how to do rigging or sheet metal work, etc. I'm just taking my Section 608 exam next week.

I love troubleshooting cases...once I get my epa cert I can start using my guages and take it to a higher level. I just hope there is a way for to convey all I've learned to a prospective employer!
    Are you in NoCal or SoCal?..I wont talk to northerners

I'm just curious..I'm in the union but started as nonunion. "hands on" is the best way AFTER basic knowledge is mastered or at least understood very well.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by NedFlanders View Post
    Are you in NoCal or SoCal?..I wont talk to northerners

I'm just curious..I'm in the union but started as nonunion. "hands on" is the best way AFTER basic knowledge is mastered or at least understood very well.

Good luck
    Go Giants. That should be nuff'. ; )

If I go the Union route through the apprenticeship program I'll get both though, right? At the same time...

Depends on the company you work for.....Some companies won't let tradesmen/apprentices do anything technical. The union rules kinda frown on certain things, I like to show everyone everything because I can watch and not work and I'm a really good guy on top of that.

If you do markets , I wouldn't worry about lack of hands on, The AC side seems to have a different way of doing things. They take the union thing a little too serious ( in my opinion) and sometimes will only let you do certain things.

I still take training courses through the union and I hear all kinds of stuff they do .

Also it seems at least where I'm at , the HVAC side out numbers the refer side 3-4:1. Market guys (in the union) seems to be slowly dieing off. The NONunion companies are and have been low balling the trade to the point where it's hard for a union contractor to compete.

go to school first thing -

Whether is union / apprentice or full time trade school.

Pay Real attention and take notes and demand that the instructor review if you are even Slightly confused. They work for you - never forget that. You are their boss - not the other way around.

"hands on" don't mean dog poop if you don't know, and I mean KNOW! what is really happening inside the system. Know what is happening like it's a 3-D video running in your head.

What no one will ever teach you hands-on is the nuts & bolts of basic refrigeration theory. I mean so that it soaks into your bones. So that you know it better than you know any other thing on this planet. So that you can always revert to it.

Just like you can always say: A-B-C-D-E-F-G . . . .

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Iceneck View Post
    Hi,

I'm a maintenance guy at a grocery store. I've been doing this job for about 2 years, and have really settled on making refrigeration a career. It's my job to call the refrigeration guys whenever we have a problem, and I follow them around like a puppy asking questions. Several of the journeymen have sort of taken me under thier wing. I've gotten to where i'm pretty good, although I'm certainly no journeyman. I understand a rack system (we have 4 36 HP Hussmann protocols with Emerson/Einstein controllers) and I do simple stuff like replace gaskets on reach ins, clean the condensers on the roof, clean evap coils, replace bent/broken fan blades, clean condensate drains etc. Last week I learned how to replace a filter/dryer core and sightglass (system had water in it). Not that I'd EVER do it myself. But I could if you put a gun to my head.

So now I need to find training. Several of the journeymen that I work with are encouraging me to apply with their company as an apprentice and the union would train me for free (if/when I get a job with a union shop). The other option I have to go to trade school...a decision I hear a lot of people regretting on these forums.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12