Thread: online courses

online courses

Just want some feedback on taking an online HVAC program. I work for a commercial/Industrial Hvac company and dont have time to go to school. None of the community colleges around me offer night classes. Im already getting the experiance and field work i just need the schooling so down the road i have the credentials. thanks

http://www.rses.org

great site..work out of a book and if a chapter is near you then you will get help from those taking the same courses.

Thanks this looks like a good website. Would it be equal to taking community college coarses or other online programs?

You would not get a Associate degree or anything. But the info you learn is huge. I have been in the field for almost 11yrs and just started there courses last fall...it makes what i learned threw my apprenticeship look like a day care. very technical courses. I wish i had know about them 10 yrs ago.

With you out in the field already things will make sense right away. Not sure i would recommend it to someone with zero hands on.

I am sure some of the other guys who are members will be along shortly...i am only a level 1 i think we have a level IV on here somewhere.

Thanks man it looks like something i might be interested in doing. I want to be able to learn everything better and atleast have a certificate or something saying ive had some training.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbandit75 View Post
    Just want some feedback on taking an online HVAC program. I work for a commercial/Industrial Hvac company and dont have time to go to school. None of the community colleges around me offer night classes. Im already getting the experiance and field work i just need the schooling so down the road i have the credentials. thanks
    If you don't have time for school you wont have time for an online class.

I am currently attending school for an Associate degree in HVAC, some of the core classes are done online so I can tell you first hand that there is little to no difference between going to school, VS studying on line hour wise.

I just took math online and ended up putting in 76 hours on the computer over 10 weeks.

Classes hours are 3 hours a night twice a week per class, then you got homework assignments and other things to do, so it all comes out the same.

At the end of the day I find on campus classes are way easier than off campus / computer.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

all of schools near me have the hvac classes during the day...if they had night classes it would not be an issue. Thats why im considering online.

Anyone have any experiance with ashworth online school for the HVAC program

If you already have a job in HVAC my advice would be to join RSES per yellowirenut above.

You can learn a lot on the job and take RSES training on the side. I don't know for sure but it seems like most employers would like to see you in a continuing education organization like RSES than just the fact that you took a 6 month correspondence course. JMO

Online HVAC

Like anything, it depends what you put into it. Online HVAC classes can be a huge help, especially with specific technologies. I recommend the ones at http://www.communitybusinesscollege.edu because they allow you to take specific subjects and you receive a certificate for each one which is a good resume builder.
    The disadvantage with online classes is you have to stick with it and not get distracted. When I'm at home, I find this is the biggest challenge.
    The advantage with online classes is, in addition to saving gas money from traveling, you get to network with other HVAC students from around the world. That's a great perk. I also like the interraction and ease of use of the classroom software.
    Good luck on your online program.