Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everyone. I have posted here a time or two in the past. I have to confess I am not an HVAC tech. I am a land developer- putting in the streets/subdivisions for the builders you all install the units for!

Anyway, I am buying an investment property- existing house that is zoned for office. It has a new Lennox system in it- installed about 1 year ago. It is on the main living level on plywood subfloor and not set in a metal pan w/ cutoff switch. I believe this is a code violation if I am not mistaken.
    My main issue is how do I tell what the tonnage of the A/C unit and BTU of the furnace is? The current owner has had the house in "perfect" shape but vacant for the last year (he is too old to want to fool with renting it). he keeps the utilities active but basically keeps the A/C off. We are in Atlanta so it gets hot. I had him turn it on for a day to make sure it would cool the house down. it was 78 inside when we turned it on in the A.M. and at 5 P.M. it had only cooled it down to 73 (thermostat was set to 70). I am concerned it is too small to adequately cool the house, especially once computers are installed, etc.

On the side of the unit inside the house it had the folowing numbers:

M/N G4OUH-36A-070-02
    S/N 5801E-47756

If i have done things property below are two links to some photos of the unit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...te/furnace.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/furnace2.jpg

thanks!!

also...

One thing the did I have never seen is if you look at the part of the furnace where the insulated copper pipe goes into the unit (at the top of the unit), it is like a hardboard plastic...isn't this typically ductboard??
    Additionally, the second picture you will see an arrow in it. This is where the contractor used flex line to bring gas service into the unit. I am pretty sure that it is supposed to be ductile iron coming out of the unit and then they can switch to flex...?

Thanks!

As a professional builder/developer I would expect that you should be able to afford the professional services of a professional HVAC company.

You seem to be seeking free advice here at HVAC Talk. Just as you earn a living developing properties, we earn our living provideing professional advice and services.

I suggest you contact your local HVAC professional contractor. PAY UP!

Norm,
    I literally just sent an email right after posting this to my HVAC company. I fully plan on hiring them ASAP to inspect the unit and to do any immidiate or future service. I only just now realized this was a potential issue and my inspection period expires over the weekend. I am afraid i will not be able to get them out to inspect it tomorrow due to ridiculously short notice on my part!

I am not posting this in an effort to shortcut properly paying a professional HVAC company- really just was hoping someone would have a moment to provide some basic insight on figuring out the tonnage in case i can't get the company i use out on sight.

I meant no offense and one thing is for sure you will NOT see me trying to work on this thing myself- i'd blow myself up!!

Here is your answer. http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=33866

Don't expect to learn in a few minutes, hours or even weeks what it has taken the rest of us many years.

Norm

Thanks Norm. If you ever have a question about how to properly compact a 20' tall geogrid retaining wall or need some insight on pulling a madrel through some 8" Sch 35- just ask!

I guess what I really meant in my question was not so much how do I calculate the required tonnage for this house I am buying, but rather, how can I look at the existing unit that is installed and know how many BTU's/tonnage of a/c that system has. The next step obviously is to have my HVAC guy come out and inspect and make sure that that is what the structure actually needs.

Thanks!

need model # of outdoor unit. number you posted is 70,000 btu heater with 3 ton blower

Frown

Originally posted by woodsong
    The next step obviously is to have my HVAC guy come out and inspect and make sure that that is what the structure actually needs.
    Just Another Buylder.. Doesn't have a clue
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by t527ed
    need model # of outdoor unit. number you posted is 70,000 btu heater with 3 ton blower
    i'll get that in the a.m. but then I should have hopefully heard from my HVAC guy.

And yes, I am proud to say I am clueless about HVAC- that is what we hire you guys for. Of course, if I told you to put that street in with 6,2, and 1 1/2 and make sure it is type F and it is 29' BOC to BOC you probably wouldn't have a clue what i was talking about either!

That is what is great about professionals...they know their stuff.

Thanks for the input guys. I sincerely appreciate the helpful comments. I am glad there are high quality HVAC guys to talk to!

I had a property developer ask me what's the biggest furnace I could get. I said oh....about 140'000 BTU's why? He said he added 850 SF to a house and it needs, and I quote,"the biggest furnace you can get. I said,"what about duct work?" He said,"I already had my carpenters put that in." I had to see it. They tapped 4ea new 6" branch lines into exsisting 6" runs with saddles. they originally had a 100,000 BTU furnace for 1800SF same plenums,trunks return drop everything and he wanted a monster furnace under all that original duct work.I walked away shaking my head.2 weeks later I saw him at home depot and he found a guy to do it.He told me I must be rich to turn down work. I said no I'm too poor to take that kind of liabillity. Property developers never seem to understand.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Originally posted by NormChris

Here is your answer. http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=33866

Don't expect to learn in a few minutes, hours or even weeks what it has taken the rest of us many years.

Norm
    GEEZ NORM, I GOT SOME VALIUM IF YOU NEED IT.

more info

Well,
    I lucked out and the HVAC company was able to send a tech out who happened to be nearby- gotta love good customer service.

Sounds like there is a 3 ton coil w/ a 2 ton compressor outside. Differential in cooling is only about 14 degrees instead of 15-20 like it should be.

I am meeting the engineer next week to see what needs to be done to properly size the system. It is only 1,300 sq. ft., all brick, and shaded by two nice big trees. 3 tons seems a little large to me but i'll see what they say next week. Do you all agree it is probably a bit large? I know i know, there are a bunch of heat gain/loss calculations that go with figuring that!

Thanks

heat load needs to be done. temp split could be blower in heater 3 ton probably still on factory high speed setting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast